Good glitch beat songs, or even better, drummers?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I've heard jojo mayer talk about it, and I'm into guys like flying lotus. And i think I'm at the level where I should explore this stuff. Know of any drummers, or dj's who do it a lot? Now, by glitch beats I mean where bits are behind the beat, where it is just quantized " wrong".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CybO7XtYpdU
Just an example. I hear chris dave do it a lot as well actually...

I haven't found many glitch drummers just yet. The style has only gained acceptance over the last couple of years. Mostly underground hip hop instrumental producers like Madlib, maybe a group like Sa-Ra but honestly you'll be better searching Flying Lotus on LastFM and listening till you hear something you like.

Yeah, I saw that video actually! Very good clinic he did that day. I guess its a good thing that not a lot of drummers are doing it (yet). People are always looking to " do their own thing". Its good to have a style of drumming that hasn';t been explored too much. Leaves it open for other folk like me :). If I can lock myself in a room and crank out awkward rhythms until I get good :p

I'll probably just do that man, look up flylo on last fm and what not. Thanks

Yeah, I saw that video actually! Very good clinic he did that day. I guess its a good thing that not a lot of drummers are doing it (yet). People are always looking to " do their own thing". Its good to have a style of drumming that hasn';t been explored too much. Leaves it open for other folk like me :). If I can lock myself in a room and crank out awkward rhythms until I get good :p

I'll probably just do that man, look up flylo on last fm and what not. Thanks

Awesome man hope it works out. this stuff can be a ton of fun and add a lot of "tension" to the music once you get it down. Also my advice would be not to obsess over these polyrythmic ideas you'll drive yourself nuts.

Awesome man hope it works out. this stuff can be a ton of fun and add a lot of "tension" to the music once you get it down. Also my advice would be not to obsess over these polyrythmic ideas you'll drive yourself nuts.

haha, cheers. Thats why I said " lock myself in a room" :) But yeah, the type of stuff that would mentally drain you I'd say! Anyway, be investing in good mics in the coming weeks. Will be trying to get down some beats and tracks, especially if my ableton skills increase by 100% :)

Check out Johnny Rabb. I believe he's exactly what you're looking for.

Deantoni Parks (newest drummer of The Mars Volta) is supposedly 'a roland drum machine with feeling'. Although, not much of his solo stuff on youtube.

'QPlay' by Autechre is a good example of atypically phrased electronic music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQsXonlOYos

It's not 'Glitch' per se, but Glitch is much more than the rhythm itself and is inherently electronic - so trying to recreate Glitch in an environment using instruments in their intended role is a little inconsistent with the principles of Glitch itself.

A lot of my degree was non-mainstream 'noise' aesthetic, which has a direct relationship with 'Glitch' (although we used different terms). If you want to discuss some of the extramusical elements of these kinds of music, feel free because I've spent at least the last two years deeply embroiled in the subject!

'QPlay' by Autechre is a good example of atypically phrased electronic music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQsXonlOYos

It's not 'Glitch' per se, but Glitch is much more than the rhythm itself and is inherently electronic - so trying to recreate Glitch in an environment using instruments in their intended role is a little inconsistent with the principles of Glitch itself.

A lot of my degree was non-mainstream 'noise' aesthetic, which has a direct relationship with 'Glitch' (although we used different terms). If you want to discuss some of the extramusical elements of these kinds of music, feel free because I've spent at least the last two years deeply embroiled in the subject!

Some good info there man. Pitty that that song isn't on youtube anymore :(. If I do have any questions, I'll make sure to ask :p Cheers man.

Try it in Spotify? If you have Spotify I'll put together a playlist for you when I get back to the UK (tomorrow).

That's actually a really dope beat. I'd have to agree with Sesshoumaru, Madlib, as well as Oh No, maybe some of Hi-Tek's earlier stuff. Although, two beat maker/producers that come to mind are RJD2 and Danger Mouse. When it comes weird and off placed timing RJD2 in my mind is the epitome. Danger Mouse on the other hand can cram in some really glitghy samples and stuff. Not sure if you ever listened to Gnarls Barkley at all (other than the hit songs) but that was all done by Danger Mouse.

I'd also have to concur with the others mentioning Johnny Rabb. You also may want to look into the likes of Marco Minnemann http://youtu.be/MHft4OR7Rus.

One of my non-drumming friends turned me on to this video of Chris Penne covering Aphex Twin's "Come to Daddy" http://youtu.be/Pxhz3YU0s6I; It's outright galling.

One of my College Tutor's albums was produced by Danger Mouse. Just throwing it out there!

Man, I completely forgot about this post!
I'll make sure to check up those songs, the different atrists, when I get home from work later on.

Just thinking about it, I wouldn't really call johnny rabb a glitch drummer. More of just an electronic one. Haven't listened to him that much, but thats just what i gather from what I have listened to

I've heard of them, but not listened to them. I'll put it on my list for listening to later. See if it's on Spotify...

Back