Bass Drum Art

Well, for my bass drum head the only ones that worked were the metallic paint markers (you have to shake it and depress the tip for the ink/paint to come out). I have a whole bunch of other regular Prismacolor markers that I've used on my other heads (see the photo below). They work great on these clear and coated heads but because my bass drum head is black, they didn't show up very well on there.
Those are awesome! Are the heads you have on your toms clear? 'Cause they almost look like the Evans frost coating, but it's hard to tell. From the looks of your avatar, I'm assuming these are best done on the inside of the head, so as to preserve the design, but I just want to make sure.

Those are awesome! Are the heads you have on your toms clear? 'Cause they almost look like the Evans frost coating, but it's hard to tell. From the looks of your avatar, I'm assuming these are best done on the inside of the head, so as to preserve the design, but I just want to make sure.

You're right on all counts! Those heads are Evans G-Plus with the frost coating. And I do usually apply the works to the inside of the head so they don't get mucked up by playing them. Thanks!

Well, for my bass drum head the only ones that worked were the metallic paint markers (you have to shake it and depress the tip for the ink/paint to come out). I have a whole bunch of other regular Prismacolor markers that I've used on my other heads (see the photo below). They work great on these clear and coated heads but because my bass drum head is black, they didn't show up very well on there.

20100109_81.jpg

Oh holy mother of god
You could make some nice money doing this. I know I'd pay a pretty fine penny for this paint job.
Nice work my friend.

20100109_81.jpg

That looks cool, but I swear I read a few months back that that was fabric under clear heads?

Oh god Im fanboying so hard right now. After visiting your Deviantart, you seem like my type 'o guy. Especially after I saw that Tool tat

Edit: And nice playing in your videos too ;]

Last edited:
I also just checked out your DA page, great idea to draw on the back of the heads. I'm going to steal this one and get my girlfriend to draw on the back of my heads (whenever I get new ones). Awesome work.

just wonderin why is ur high tom deeper than ur lower tom

I was worried that going shallower than seven inches on my smallest, eight inch tom would cut down its resonance and body compared to everything else. It turns out my suspicion was correct (or, at least, it hasn't turned out negatively); the eight inch fits well with the ten inch and the rest of the set in terms of "fullness" and resonance. Had I gone any smaller with it, it might have sounded a little too thin.

Check out my collection of classic bass drum heads and more at:
www.awdrums.com

Attachments

• !BqZ71(g!2k~$(KGrHqEH-CEEunYFyMzqBLvlJlNVBg~~_12.jpg
    !BqZ71(g!2k~$(KGrHqEH-CEEunYFyMzqBLvlJlNVBg~~_12.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,123
  • !CCk7nwwEWk~$(KGrHqZ,!gwEz)Ob(PdOBNLk(gqNKw~~_12.jpg
    !CCk7nwwEWk~$(KGrHqZ,!gwEz)Ob(PdOBNLk(gqNKw~~_12.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,984
  • !CD1WMuQ!Wk~$(KGrHqZ,!hQE0fktnbWbBNP4,w1+rw~~_12.jpg
    !CD1WMuQ!Wk~$(KGrHqZ,!hQE0fktnbWbBNP4,w1+rw~~_12.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,895