A question for jazz drummers

supermac

I've played for years and play rock and fusion to a good standard.

I've dabbled with jazz playing for years, mimicing what I've heard without really knowing what I'm doing.

The Steve Smith DVDs have been a big help, but I want to take it even further.

One of the things that I'm vague about is the role of the bass drums.

I'm not keen on 'feathering' as it seems a bit of a cop-out, just pumping out 4/4.

So, when you're comping with your foot, what is the objective and what are the do's and dont's?

Any other pointers on the mysterious art of jazz drumming would be appreciated.

I've been wondering this myself recently, I seem to be stuck with four on the floor and I can't get out of it. Maybe somebody could post some jazz songs that have some nice foot work going on.

Good question, it's something I've asked myself too. First of all, I too have "dabbled with jazz without really knowing what I'm doing", but when I want to take it past the steady 4, I like to make combinations between the snare comping an the bass drum, making them talk with each other, playing what feels good in the music...But I'd really like to hear some opinions from the jazz cats here.

One recommendation for bass drum non-feathered is Bill Bruford's Earthworks. Try A Part, and Yet Apart or The Sound of Surprise, for starters.

I second what Mr. Sawyer recommends, a conversation between your snare and kick. Behind the typical jazz ride pattern, play a snare figure, and "answer" it on your kick. Or reverse that. Or play a figure in unison, or any combination you can come up with, just don't keep the beat with the foot for any length of time. The ride cymbal and/or foot "chicks" are the time keepers, and you weave a tapestry of jazz around them. Easier said than done, no doubt, but the concept is simple enough.

Back