John Bonham

FINALLY!

Well, after having the Led Zeppelin DVD on my Xmas wish list for the last several years...my wife finally bought it for me!! I know I should have bought it for myself....

It's been well worth the wait. Incredible video and sound for such old footage.

I've only watched the first DVD so far. Awesome...Moby Dick....Awesome...

I know, most of you have already seen these...

What I've been missing...If you don't have these, you need to get them.

-Murph

see the french TV show part of the DVD. he is wearing cowboy boots!
j

see this just for some cool bonzo twirling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M49SXymmAW8

In this pic I found he's wearing sneakers... look like Adidias's..
JB_JP_Oakland_Coliseum_by_Dennis_Callaghan_24_jul_1977-01.jpg
Oakland, 7/23/77

Wow. I've noticed this before but jeeez - 5:07 into Stairway To Heaven. Brake, screeeeeech, skid! That's some serious lagging. I guess the K did effect his timing after all.

I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear.

Wow. I've noticed this before but jeeez - 5:07 into Stairway To Heaven. Brake, screeeeeech, skid! That's some serious lagging. I guess the K did effect his timing after all.

I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear.

Theres no tempo change at all. Put a metranome to it. You see. its just his voice getting a little deeper i guess that makes it seems like its lagging

sorry womble but i've listened to that bit ten times in a row now while tapping a table and i cannot hear what you are talking about at all. the timing there is beautiful. i guess the K is affecting your timing
;-)

what is k?

j

Don't tap a table, that's not a good method: trust your ears. Pdp's correct that if you put a click on it it does pretty much stay at 86 BPM. Well, for a few bars anyway. But the dragging happens within that framework; it's about the feel of his groove and the band playing together, not the metronome. Listen to just before "The piper...".

k, j, was Bonzo's drug of choice. no jk. And I thought you had a shady past ;)

i tap the table because that way i'm playing the groove not a machine. so i'm still not spotting anything as harsh as 'Brake, screeeeeech, skid! ' just a beautiful feel of space and music.

BTW although in this thread the bonzo was a druggie thing has come up several times i have read many books and articles on him and have found nothing to support this from the most historic sources (friends and family, his drum tech and the authorised biographers). mention of heroine use etc is only made by fringe writings. i choose to believe that bonzo had only one huge chemical vice was C2H6O in way too large amounts too often.

Here you go.

The pulse (86 bpm) is on the upbeats, but who cares. A pulse is a pulse. You'll hear it. If you don't hear it, put the sticks down now.

I don't think it matters whether it speeds up or slows down. Music should have some breath in it. If I recall, Art Blakey said as much in his last MD interview.

Bonham was awesome and that track works. At least to my ears.

I don't think it matters whether it speeds up or slows down. Music should have some breath in it. If I recall, Art Blakey said as much in his last MD interview.

Bonham was awesome and that track works. At least to my ears.

I deliberately wrote this "I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear" in my first point so that people wouldn't have to chime in for no reason! No one's saying it matters, but if someone can't actually hear it that's a point for discussion.

I deliberately wrote this "I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear" in my first point so that people wouldn't have to chime in for no reason! No one's saying it matters, but if someone can't actually hear it that's a point for discussion.

Oh I know. I'm not having a shot. Just adding my thoughts for whatever they're worth. Probably not much. :)

Nobody was arguing. People were observing. It's certanly not pointless. It is a fact that the song lags by a good 1/2 beat "in that area of the song". Take from it what you want. You may think that despite the tempo being all over the place in parts, it doesn't take away from the song in the slightest. You may think Bonham doesn't have great time or can't play to a click very well. You may think, "Who cares?" I happen to think "Womble's right, the tempo drags there. I still like the tune." Don't dismiss the tempo problem because you find it inconsequencial or didn't hear it.

Now go and listen to "All of My Love". The keyboard solo. JPJ hits two keys at the same time. *Somewhere* around 2:50 into the tune. It's a gaff but does it take away from the song?

I can also find instances where Simon Phillips clicks his sticks together by accident.

but not such a big one as to describe it as screech skid etc. so it is a pointless arguement.

j

Back