Sympathetic Tom Buzz??

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
We have all heard of snare buzz and read the many opinions on how to solve or resolve the issue, or to just accept it, but have any of you experienced tom hum. When I ride on my 21 inch Sweet ride, my 12 inch tom head starts humming right along. If I choke the cymbal the tom stops humming. Any clues on how to stop this other than retuning? My 12 inch tom sits right under the ride.

My 12 inch tom sits right under the ride.

Not to state the obvious, but there's your problem right there! :p

I've never had to deal with this. Sympathetic anything, really, is caused by "like" vibrations and frequencies (that is, if it's truly humming, and not just resonating the sounds of the cymbal right above it). If you're not willing to re-tune your tom, and your ride HAS to be over it, I'd say get a different ride.

I just noticed it on Saturday and was wondering if anyone else had experience it. I will re-tune plus I'm due new heads soon.

I've experienced the opposite. I was in the studio a few weeks ago and every time I hit my 16" floor my china would resonate along with it. I've never had this happen before, and I think it was because we were in a pretty small studio.

It's all about resonant frequencies.

Basically when you strike any percussion instrument a range of overtones (frequencies) a fundamental note (the musical note which one tunes to, the lowest and loudest of all these frequencies) a produced, with your tom there is a resonant frequency that your ride is also producing, when that resonant frequency is played back to a percussion piece the piece will oscillate. This phenomena is observed when an opera singer hits a very high note and breaks a wine glass (the opera singers note is the same as the note you get from striking the wine glass, or atleast one of the frequencies are common). This effect can happen from drum-cymbal, cymbal-drum, cowbell-hats, drum-snares etc.

Theoretically (I haven't tried all these) these methods could work:

• Tuning the effected object.
  • Placing down a new head and tuning (certain heads will produce a different combination of overtones, these overtones give them a characteristic sound...fat, wet, warm, deep etc.).
  • Moving an object to a different spot.
  • Dampening/muffling one or both of the objects to change what overtones will be projected.
  • Placing an object inbetween the two objects to block out certain overtones (ie. curtain, other percussion piece).
  • Applying dampening in other parts of the room (some overtones/group of overtones bounce off of the walls and change in characteristics, dampening them kills off these boomy overtones, like in a recording studio).

It's all about resonant frequencies.

Basically when you strike any percussion instrument a range of overtones (frequencies) a fundamental note (the musical note which one tunes to, the lowest and loudest of all these frequencies) a produced, with your tom there is a resonant frequency that your ride is also producing, when that resonant frequency is played back to a percussion piece the piece will oscillate. This phenomena is observed when an opera singer hits a very high note and breaks a wine glass (the opera singers note is the same as the note you get from striking the wine glass, or atleast one of the frequencies are common). This effect can happen from drum-cymbal, cymbal-drum, cowbell-hats, drum-snares etc.

Theoretically (I haven't tried all these) these methods could work:

• Tuning the effected object.
  • Placing down a new head and tuning (certain heads will produce a different combination of overtones, these overtones give them a characteristic sound...fat, wet, warm, deep etc.).
  • Moving an object to a different spot.
  • Dampening/muffling one or both of the objects to change what overtones will be projected.
  • Placing an object inbetween the two objects to block out certain overtones (ie. curtain, other percussion piece).
  • Applying dampening in other parts of the room (some overtones/group of overtones bounce off of the walls and change in characteristics, dampening them kills off these boomy overtones, like in a recording studio).

This is an excellent answer...

Back