Travis Barker

So i've read some of your posts saying things like you don't think that Travis isthe best drummer because he's only got a FEW of the attributes that "the best" drummers should have....well.....then what are they? travis has speed, creativity, he catches on real quick, and he's good in many types of music....what other things does it take?.... i'm just asking so then i can know what kind of things i need to work on

Well, you need all those things, but developed to a much higher standard than Travis Barker. When has Barker shown to be good in many types of music? He's great in playing loud pop-punk, but i'm not sure he's ever demonstrated the dynamic ability to play funk or jazz for example.

Well, you need all those things, but developed to a much higher standard than Travis Barker. When has Barker shown to be good in many types of music? He's great in playing loud pop-punk, but i'm not sure he's ever demonstrated the dynamic ability to play funk or jazz for example.
well...i see your point... but he did start out drumming mainly with jazz... so i guess you could say his roots are in jazz and rudemental stuff..... but i do see where you are coming from.... and thinking abouyt it more.... i am changing my statment from "the best drummer" to my favorite drummer... because any drummer can improve and i don't think the world will ever see "the best" drummer, because there's always gonna be someone better

Where can I get the intro to Feeling This? I learned it, I just want to make sure it's right.

HOW CAN YOU SAY TRAVIS IS JUST SPEED AND NO SUBSTANCE!
that only shows you guys dont know his work
listen to boxcar racer and you will hear some of the most creative drum tracks ever!

TRAVIS BARKER IS FAST BUT FAR FAR AWAY FROM BEEING JUST SPEED

HOW CAN YOU SAY TRAVIS IS JUST SPEED AND NO SUBSTANCE!
that only shows you guys dont know his work
listen to boxcar racer and you will hear some of the most creative drum tracks ever!

TRAVIS BARKER IS FAST BUT FAR FAR AWAY FROM BEEING JUST SPEED

Substance isnt 'just creativity - sure that's an important part of it, but what's the use of it when you can't play it with enough feel?
Travis' playing lacks a certain warmth, which is what some people, I suppose, are saying. He's a classic example of chops over groove..

That's my opinion anyway, so please don't attack me.

Travis Barker is an awesome drummer and for people to say that he is not versatile and that he only plays punk music is crap. he is very musical and plays a lot of hip-hop, his drumming is featured with some of todays hottest artists. If you think he's over rated, "who cares" he is not a self absorbed person what-so-ever and never suggested that he was the greatest or fastest drummer. He is doing his job and that is to play drums.

Travis Barker doesn't play punk and neither does Blink 182 because Travis Barker isn't punk and neither is Blink 182. Wannabes, posers: yes. Punks: no.

well in modern drummer travis said he wast just a punk drummer matt. i also love how all of you people decided for some reason that you have the skill and ability to judge every drummer. every one of you is on the steve gadd jojo mayer(i love both of them) band wagon. if someone comes on with a different opinion then you all attack them. travis is not the best drummer. i learned to play drums by playing along with blink cds. but all you "HIGH AND MIGHTY" drummers need to learn that you are in no place to judge them. dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique. who cars if they can play jazz and funk. they are playing what they love to play just as you and i do. i know this will not make any of you think twice about what you say because no matter what you think youre right. so its just whatever. but put yourself in the person who feels that they have to defend their favorite drummer. what if it were steve gadd...?

Travis Barker doesn't play punk and neither does Blink 182 because Travis Barker isn't punk and neither is Blink 182. Wannabes, posers: yes. Punks: no.

Agree. (I agree so much that i need 20 charachters to express it)

Substance isnt 'just creativity - sure that's an important part of it, but what's the use of it when you can't play it with enough feel?
Travis' playing lacks a certain warmth, which is what some people, I suppose, are saying. He's a classic example of chops over groove..

That's my opinion anyway, so please don't attack me.

for starters, i'm not attacking you...everyone has there own opinion and it's the mature thing to respect that. but i THINK the reason we don't see much "warmth" from him is beacuse "warmth" isn't is style. i THINK he mostly thinks hit it hard, loud and fast to make a good mark on the song and to leave a good impression. but i think that it's also an imprtant thing to be able to have that sense of warmth on the throne.

well in modern drummer travis said he wast just a punk drummer matt. i also love how all of you people decided for some reason that you have the skill and ability to judge every drummer. every one of you is on the steve gadd jojo mayer(i love both of them) band wagon. if someone comes on with a different opinion then you all attack them. travis is not the best drummer. i learned to play drums by playing along with blink cds. but all you "HIGH AND MIGHTY" drummers need to learn that you are in no place to judge them. dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique. who cars if they can play jazz and funk. they are playing what they love to play just as you and i do. i know this will not make any of you think twice about what you say because no matter what you think youre right. so its just whatever. but put yourself in the person who feels that they have to defend their favorite drummer. what if it were steve gadd...?

spoken like a TRUE musician.

peace be with you, man.

a lot of people on this forum have to be asked this question;
whats your definition of "the best"?

First of all, my official opinion of Travis Barker is that he's a great drumming entertainer, who is better than his detractors claim, and not nearly on the level his fanboys believe. I also hear he's a super nice guy and a pretty down to earth guy. So he probably gets this too.

But that's not why I came here.

Skippy, I remember when you were around here a lot a couple of years ago. Almost everything that ever came out of your mouth was Travis Barker and how the high and mighty drummers of the world were mistreating him---high and mighty meaning those who didn't go hog wild over your guy like you did. Now you claim that you have these other drummers you admire, but I can't recall a single post where you ever had a qualatative thing to say about them, past one or 2 observations.

Sorry man, that's not opinion, that's blind fanboy adulation.

And that's my opinion, based on observing with great interest your point of view over the years, weighing the evidence, comparing one issue to another, observing how your comments about other drummers were mostly jealousy rants where you pointed out what you believed to be their weaknesses, because you thought admirers of those guys were being unfair to your guy etc...And most importantly listening, listening, listening to all the music, not just half a Buddy Rich video or 30 seconds of Elvin Jones that gives you just enough insight to know that he liked big fat rolls. I mean really listening to the other side. And yeah, I've listened to a lot of Travis Barker. In fact, if you go to the most widely viewed Travis Barker youtubes, you'll see my videos in the response section, 2 inches up from the comments.

That's how you put together an actual opinion. It's not a result of the first knee jerk reaction to come flying out of your head. This is something I have a real problem with on drum forums especially, where somebody will simply dismiss or label every thing ever said an opinion as if every utterance or act of babbling carries equal weight. How convenient it is to use terms like high and mighty when anyone can see that it's nothing but a tactic to even the terms of the discussion, when one side doesn't want to engage in the work required to have a real discussion. So instead the tactic is to try and punk the actual thought as something not cool, or something put out there by a mean old snob to make you look bad. It's also interesting to me that there was this comedy movie a couple of years ago called Idiocracy that made fun of a society 500 years in the future that thought just like this. You ought to look at it man, because almost every character in it is a fanboy who thinks every single thing is an opinion.

Seriously, I'm tired of this POV, because there are a lot of younger guys trying to do it the right way, and to me this dumb it down for everybody stuff just makes everybody under 20 look bad, and it can't be helping the image of Barker, Jordison etc, anymore than the older fanboys of Bonham, Peart or Buddy Rich can possibly be helping them.

You want to be taken more seriously? You listen to the other side and try to be serious about it. And when there are educated contradictions that can proven 1000 different ways, then you have to accept them as facts, and not opinions, because they're 2 different things. Because I don't feel that's something you've ever done.

a lot of people on this forum have to be asked this question; whats your definition of "the best"?
Is that your opinion?

dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique.

Do you even know what forum you're in?

dont get me wrong some of my favorite drummers are billy martin, jojo mayer, and benny grebb. but that doesnt give me the right to come in here and say this drummer is boring uncreative and has no technique.
Of course it gives you no right to say that, because that would constitute an unqualified opinion, thus making your statement wrong. Using the technique comparison for example, to say Mayer had no chops would be a contradiction of the obvious. When for example a Travis fan talks about his blinding untouchable speed, that can be refuted by actual statistics and computer analysis. Some fanboys don't like to hear that, so they respond by saying your actual facts are just your opinion, while their rose colored guess is an opinion of equal value.

See what I'm sayin'? It's a load of garbage and the Internet is only place you see it where anybody takes it seriously.

everybody's entitled to their opinion. Some opinions are more informed than others. For instance: if I was an anstronaut and I had seen something I felt was a flying saucer and held the opinion that flying saucers were real and you (not an astronaut and had not ever seen anything that could not be explained) held the opinion that flying saucers were not real, my opinion would be more informed than yours. Some of the drummers on here have a ton of skill and education and style to have an informed, qualified opinion of travis barker: mainly that he sucks and is overrated. I for one cannot stand Mustard. It is my opinion that mustard sucks. To others Mustard is great. Does the fact that I think mustard sucks mean that I'm an idiot or that I shouldn't express my opinion that Mustard sucks? Now it might be difficult to have a real informed, qualified, expert opinion that thwarts all other's attempts at swaying me or someone about the virtues of Mustard but it's still an opinion and it's valid. I also think travis barker is a terrible but capable drummer - he has maintained a career as a drummer but he gets more praise than he deserves. Mainly I hate him because now all these little Xgames rapper d-bags are running around sporting the poser punk look calling themselves punks and ruining a subculture I hold very close and dear to my heart. And it's all his fault. Him and the morons who rapped that Butterfly Sugar song and the Cottonmouth Kings.

and just because someone says they're a punk doesn't mean they're a punk. it takes a little more than a bunch of tattoos and a mohawk (which puh diddy or diddy or whatever that retard calls himself was sporting a while ago) to make someone a punk.

Last edited:
everybody's entitled to their opinion. Some opinions are more informed than others. For instance: if I was an anstronaut and I had seen something I felt was a flying saucer and held the opinion that flying saucers were real and you (not an astronaut and had not ever seen anything that could not be explained) held the opinion that flying saucers were not real, my opinion would be more informed than yours. Some of the drummers on here have a ton of skill and education and style to have an informed, qualified opinion of travis barker: mainly that he sucks and is overrated. I for one cannot stand Mustard. It is my opinion that mustard sucks. To others Mustard is great. Does the fact that I think mustard sucks mean that I'm an idiot or that I shouldn't express my opinion that Mustard sucks? Now it might be difficult to have a real informed, qualified, expert opinion that thwarts all other's attempts at swaying me or someone about the virtues of Mustard but it's still an opinion and it's valid. I also think travis barker is a terrible but capable drummer - he has maintained a career as a drummer but he gets more praise than he deserves. Mainly I hate him because now all these little Xgames rapper d-bags are running around sporting the poser punk look calling themselves punks and ruining a subculture I hold very close and dear to my heart. And it's all his fault. Him and the morons who rapped that Butterfly Sugar song and the Cottonmouth Kings.

and just because someone says they're a punk doesn't mean they're a punk. it takes a little more than a bunch of tattoos and a mohawk (which puh diddy or diddy or whatever that retard calls himself was sporting a while ago) to make someone a punk.

but its still an opinion. informed as they may be.

Last edited:
but its still an opinion. informed as they may be.

True. But for instance, a Cardiologist's opinion about your veins and heart is stronger and probably more important than some bum's on the street opinion even if the guy has read a book or two about Cardiology. Sure you could get a second or third or more opinions from other Cardiologists but that in no way diminishes the fact that Cardiologists' opinions are more valued than non-Cardiologists. Now of course health is more black and white than aesthetics but there are concrete things one can look at when determining that someone like Travis Barker sucks or a piece of art sucks and TRUE, in the end it all boils down to personal feelings and personal opinion. I could pee on the sidewalk and then punch myself in the nose and bleed on the pee, take a photo of it, call it art and of course at least one moron will agree with me. As a capable drummer who has forged a career as a drummer and can play a tune: Travis Barker does not suck. But taking in the totality of the contributions he's made to drumming: speed is the least important; and he's really not all that fast; he DOES suck. He hasn't done anything above and beyond, say, that nut Tre Cool from Green Day or even Sheila E for that matter. The only reason he's so famous is because he was in the prototype boy fake punk band: Blink 182. Much the same as Tommy Lee, if it hadn't been for Blink 182 and Motley Crue nobody would care about either Travis Barker nor Tommy Lee. In fact, Tommy Lee and Travis Barker may share the exact same amount of over-ratedness and sucktitude.

True. But for instance, a Cardiologist's opinion about your veins and heart is stronger and probably more important than some bum's on the street opinion even if the guy has read a book or two about Cardiology. Sure you could get a second or third or more opinions from other Cardiologists but that in no way diminishes the fact that Cardiologists' opinions are more valued than non-Cardiologists. Now of course health is more black and white than aesthetics but there are concrete things one can look at when determining that someone like Travis Barker sucks or a piece of art sucks and TRUE, in the end it all boils down to personal feelings and personal opinion. I could pee on the sidewalk and then punch myself in the nose and bleed on the pee, take a photo of it, call it art and of course at least one moron will agree with me. As a capable drummer who has forged a career as a drummer and can play a tune: Travis Barker does not suck. But taking in the totality of the contributions he's made to drumming: speed is the least important; and he's really not all that fast; he DOES suck. He hasn't done anything above and beyond, say, that nut Tre Cool from Green Day or even Sheila E for that matter. The only reason he's so famous is because he was in the prototype boy fake punk band: Blink 182. Much the same as Tommy Lee, if it hadn't been for Blink 182 and Motley Crue nobody would care about either Travis Barker nor Tommy Lee. In fact, Tommy Lee and Travis Barker may share the exact same amount of over-ratedness and sucktitude.

thats a good point.

and if one more reality show comes up on MTV about some ex rock star, i think ill puke.
and in further response to your earlier post, its really wrong and ignorant for someone to judge you and call someone an idiot or moron when it comes to their own opinion. i deal with that crap all the time and i totally agree with you.

it totally pisses me off.

Back