7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

jondrumming

Let me start off by saying I am now in a metal band, and I NEED a 7/8 piece kit. Please do not do what some of you did in my previous thread and start rambling on about how I should get higher quality drums in a 4/5 piece kit. By the way, the difference between the 7 and 8 would be the bass drum, not the toms.

Ideal configuration for this kit would be:

*Brand/line unknown*

8" tom
10" tom
12" tom
14" floor
16" floor
22" bass drum(s)
14" snare

Zildjian A Customs:

16" Crash
17" Crash*
18" Crash
19" Crash*
14" Hi Hats
20" Ride
10" Splash

Zildjian Z Customs:

18" China
20" China

Hardware:

Pearl ICON 3-Sided Straight Rack
Roc 'n Soc Nitro Throne
Tama Iron Cobra Lever Glide Hi Hat Stand
Trick Big Foot Pedals

I've got the cymbals and hardware decided already, though the configuration for the cymbals may change a bit. What I need help on is what 7 or 8 piece shell pack is the best for under $1500. So far, I've seen:

Pearl Joey Jordison Signature
PDP X7
Taye Pro-X
ddrum Defiant
Tama Rockstar

*Yet to be decided

Of the shell packs listed, which is the best? And what other 7 or 8 piece shell packs do any of you know sound great, last long, look good/cool, and are under $1500?

As a side note, the price of the shell pack can be a bit over $1500, like $1600 or $1700.

As another side note, I am also looking for the best snare drum under $200.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have that configuration for sale right now. PDP CX series. (If you're in the SC area) They're listed on craigslist. http://greenville.craigslist.org:80/msg/1084938360.html If you are in the area, PM me if interested. I've played some X7 kits and honestly I like the CX series better. Not just saying that because I'm selling a CX. I could care less if they sell or don't. Just making room because I have 3 drum kits now. I truly think these sounded better than the X7's. But the X7's are great for the $$$. No question.

But of the kits you listed I think I would look real hard at the DDrum. These seem like pretty nice drums. Also, have you considered Yamaha Stage Customs? Birch shells, nice sound, killer hardware, and in your price range. Worth a look.

To be honest i think we're actually just interested as to how long it will be before you actually buy this kit? You really shouldn't have posted ANOTHER thread just because you don't like the advice that we're giving you that you asked for, not to mention it's in the wrong forum.

I'm not a real metal fan but didn't think they would use too may 8 inch toms. Anyway, I had a Taye Pro X set and would highly recommend it.

To be honest i think we're actually just interested as to how long it will be before you actually buy this kit? You really shouldn't have posted ANOTHER thread just because you don't like the advice that we're giving you that you asked for, not to mention it's in the wrong forum.

Hey.........We are in the wrong place aren't we? Huh. Oh well, I just read his questions and responded.

I'm not a real metal fan but didn't think they would use too may 8 inch toms. Anyway, I had a Taye Pro X set and would highly recommend it.

oh yeah, they do. It's just really that you get to a point when the only way to add more toms onto the kit is to do small ones :p. They're also used for accenting and stuff.

Eddie: It's not that I didn't like you guys' advice, it's just that my interests have changed and I didn't want to bring back the old topic because it's kind of irrelevant right now, because I didn't have a band then :p

As for the 8" tom thing, I'm not entirely sure what the norm is for metal drummers, but I read that some have their rack toms in a 10", 12" and 13" configuration. Would that be better for metal?

Do you need the kit right away? If not check craigslist I play death metal and use a 4 piece, but i snagged a early 80's Tama Imperialstar 7 piece (6 toms 1 bass) for 200ish bucks a few months ago and they are in great condition.

As far as a snare try and find a Pearl Vinnie Paul snare if your cool with the 14x8 size. I think they are around or under 200$ since they discontinued them. Its my main go to maple snare for metal and sounds great. Anyway hope it helps, and the 20 inch Z Custom china is a beast!

Well, are you sure that you're even going to be staying in this metal band for long so that you say you absolutely "NEED" to spend so much money on a 7/8 piece kit?

And then you're looking for a snare under $200. Well, your snare is extremely important in a metal band, and your toms are mainly just for fills. I mean, you can do metal with a 5-piece kit even (10-12-14 or even 8-10-14), since you're going to be using your snare drum and bass drum so much compared to the toms.

When everyone here in your earlier thread was saying that you should get higher quality drums instead of a whole bunch of them, they didn't just say that because they were messing with you. These guys on this forum are very experienced so I wouldn't consider what they say "ramblings" and think of it as respectable advice from experienced drummers.

Get high quality drums with a good sound so they can last and you can play any genre as long as you practice and tune right maybe. It's not the instrument that makes the music, it's the players imo.

When playing metal that 14" A custom crash is going to become a splash. They're great sounding crashes, but the smaller ones won't cut through enough. Not at a show at least.

Well, are you sure that you're even going to be staying in this metal band for long so that you say you absolutely "NEED" to spend so much money on a 7/8 piece kit?

And then you're looking for a snare under $200. Well, your snare is extremely important in a metal band, and your toms are mainly just for fills. I mean, you can do metal with a 5-piece kit even (10-12-14 or even 8-10-14), since you're going to be using your snare drum and bass drum so much compared to the toms.

When everyone here in your earlier thread was saying that you should get higher quality drums instead of a whole bunch of them, they didn't just say that because they were messing with you. These guys on this forum are very experienced so I wouldn't consider what they say "ramblings" and think of it as respectable advice from experienced drummers.

Get high quality drums with a good sound so they can last and you can play any genre as long as you practice and tune right maybe. It's not the instrument that makes the music, it's the players imo.

yeah exactly. You don't need a big kit to play metal music. I don't. A 5 or maybe a 6 piece kit will do just fine. Nobody is going to say "hey we don't want you in our band because your kit isn't big enough." However my point is that when are you actually going to GET the thing? Because NO band is gonna want you if you don't actually HAVE a drumkit! Also don't bother with so many cymbals either, you seriously don't need 2 chinas right now and as IV said the 14 crash won't sound very good anyway so don't bother with them and spend that extra money on a better snare drum.

For the criteria you stated, this is the best new 7-piece kit you can buy, $1270 shipped to your front door:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...AMX-7Piece-22-Double-Bass-Drum-Set?sku=490431

If you'e doing metal, I'd say take no prisoners go with the 24" bass drums

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...AMX-7Piece-24-Double-Bass-Drum-Set?sku=490434

Ddrum AMX kits definitely fit the bill: maple shells with an outer veneer of highly figured ash, stained and lacquer finished, they are stunning in person.

Rims style isolation mounts
shallow depth toms for fast attack
extra long (20" deep) VIRGIN bass drums that are just monstrous
snare beds, standard
DIE CAST hoops on all toms+ snare

for all of those features, these kits blow away anything else in their price range, look and sound awesome. So that's 1270 shipped to your door plus $130-140 to add on the 8" tom:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/ddrum-Dominion-AMX-Tom?sku=449396

Grand total for the 8 pc kit in your desired configuration= $1400-1410

The only drawback to the kit is factory heads that aren't very good. New heads will make the kit sound like a $4000 kit.

Okay, here's the deal:

To everyone saying that I don't NEED a 7 or 8 piece kit, did you ever consider that maybe I posted here for advice about a 7/8 piece kit because I actually want to purchase a 7/8 piece kit? Please stop trying to sway me, because I'm not changing my mind about that. Call me closed minded, but if you have suggestions about a 7/8 piece kit, please share. If you're just going to laugh at/insult me for bad choices on too many drums, cymbals, etc., then please keep it to yourself.

On a more positive note, I agree with you all about the 14" A Custom Crash sounding like a splash, I have revised the future setup, replacing the 14" with a 17"/19" (yet to be decided).

I also agree with you all about the importance of the snare, I forgot again :p. So, I'll probably go with some more affordable pedals, and not the Tricks, because with another $200 or so saved from the pedals, I could get a $400 snare!

Oh, speaking of the pedals, I saw on the DW website longboard DW 8000s, does anyone know anything about these? Price, etc.?

Okay, here's the deal:

To everyone saying that I don't NEED a 7 or 8 piece kit, did you ever consider that maybe I posted here for advice about a 7/8 piece kit because I actually want to purchase a 7/8 piece kit? Please stop trying to sway me, because I'm not changing my mind about that. Call me closed minded, but if you have suggestions about a 7/8 piece kit, please share. If you're just going to laugh at/insult me for bad choices on too many drums, cymbals, etc., then please keep it to yourself.

On a more positive note, I agree with you all about the 14" A Custom Crash sounding like a splash, I have revised the future setup, replacing the 14" with a 17"/19" (yet to be decided).

I also agree with you all about the importance of the snare, I forgot again :p. So, I'll probably go with some more affordable pedals, and not the Tricks, because with another $200 or so saved from the pedals, I could get a $400 snare!

Oh, speaking of the pedals, I saw on the DW website longboard DW 8000s, does anyone know anything about these? Price, etc.?

You'd be better off on a 3-piece RAWR!

Okay, here's the deal:

Why do you insist on having toms on your kit? Just snare and bass is all you need! Hahaha.

Seriously, you should look for used drums, if that hasn't been drilled into your head yet. You could get some amazing deals on used kits for the price you are talking about. Then you would have a 7 or 8 piece kit of a higher quality than any that you listed.

mrchattr, that's actually a great idea, I'll be sure to check out craigslist and eBay.

Oh, by the way, for anyone who's wondering, since this kit will be cheaper than what I was planning to buy in the last thread, I should have enough to make the purchase(s) by... probably between the middle and end of summer. My birthday is in August, so hopefully my parents will meet me halfway ;)

Ask the stores if they have any old stock lying around, I've seen some maple kits come down in price because they sit in the store too long. It may cost a bit more than something on craigslist but in most cases you're the first owner. That happened to me a month ago, I found out they had a 6 piece starclassic set at the store. Normally I couldn't afford it, but it was old stock so they took 20% off. Which is great because I would've only been able to afford a 4 piece of something new.

Craigslist and ebay is a great idea too, I agree. Buying something brand new at full price should be viewed as a last resort lol.

Back