To drum or to sell??

housaa

I received a drum set from a relative who's son left it behind. I initially planned on setting it up in the spare bedroom, but realized quickly a lot of the hardware was missing. Now considering selling, but to be honest I know NOTHING about drums...I don't want to ask an unfair price, or receive an unfair price. Also, IDK if this would be a good drum set to keep? If someone could answer what their opinions are, as well as a fair asking price for the drums, I would appreciate it. Here is what I know. Black Pearl Export Series, 1-22X18 bass drum or , 1-16X17, 1-14" snare, 2-13" drums and one 12". the 12" drum has a Ludwig weather master head. and the snare has a Yamaha basser head. All other appear to have original heads. Heads are not cracked, etc. Used, but not overly so. There is also a 13" Remo weatherking thing (pictured). No clue what that is. A few hardware pieces and a Pearl foot pedal. I had to photobucket the pics due to it not allowing me to upload.

http://s1358.beta.photobucket.com/user/Aletia_Houston/library/Drummergirl

Exports are perfectly adequate beginner/gigging/beater kits. They sound fine with good heads and proper tuning. They were also produced in myriads, and have been replaced in Pearl's line-up. With a full set of stands... $3-350? If you'd like to see them go away, sell the drums as a 5-piece for maybe $200, and sell the hardware and extra/duplicate tom as loose pieces, say $20-40 each.

Are you sure those are both 13"? The photo looks like three different rack toms.

Try a little higher if you're in no hurry, a little less if you want them gone soon.

Old Export with metal hoops on bass drum... It screams 80s. I see you miss the floor tom legs.

What it miss then to start up is an hi-hat & cymbals stands and obviously cymbals.

If you want to play the drums, then Export kits are definitely perfectly good and better than any new kit you'd buy for the same money. I own an early-model (80s) Export that I play reasonably often and used exclusively for three years when I didn't have access to my main kit. The quality is good and although there have been advancements in technology and manufacturing since they were made, the basics are all there. Sturdy (if inelegant) hardware, good shells and solid shell hardware.

The kit in your pictures is an 80s model (I think) which is the same as my one. I like mine a lot, even though I have much more modern drums available. The old Pearl pedals are very serviceable too and there's no reason why you couldn't use that for a while to come.

Do you have the legs for the floor tom? I can't see them in the pictures. Buying second-hand legs on eBay should be a cinch and shouldn't cost more than $20 or so, just make sure they're the right diameter (which I don't know from the top of my head and mine are in the car, so I can't check right now). Also, I can't see a hi hat stand. Likewise, basic old Pearl models can be had very cheaply if you want and buying a functional hi hat stand needn't be expensive.

In terms of the heads, if you wanted to use the kit, you should buy new heads - at the very least, new batter heads. That's a fair amount of outlay. Buying new heads if you're thinking of selling the kit is irrelevant because it's likely you'll purchase heads that the buyer doesn't want and it's most likely they'll buy new ones soon after purchase anyway, so if you're selling it doesn't matter.

Assuming you have all the hardware you need to sell, then around $300 is probably reasonable. It's not a lot of money but Export kits are very common on the used market and were never high-end drums. That said, I think they offer superb value for a beginner and are on my list of 'recommended purchases' should somebody ask and they're on a tight budget.

Thanks for all of the advice so far! I tried to look online for advice but it was hard because I really do not know what I have... I do not have any additional stand/pieces than what was pictured. My great aunt moved and I helped her so she said I could have the set since her son left it behind. It probably is from the 80's seeing as how her son is now married and has pre-teen children of his own! It looks like a nice set and I know the Pearl name has a good reputation. I may post it for sale on CL or something and check to see if I have any nibbles, otherwise will keep. Also, I just checked and they are both identical 13" toms. They just look different in size due to the angle I took the picture at. So I am assuming one is an extra?

Thanks!!!!! That helps so much. I swear I am not as musically challenged as I seem. I play several instruments, though have zero experience in terms of drums. :)

I've read here on DW before that Pearl Exports are the best selling drum of all time? Somewhere in the millions have been sold, so you'll find that they're everywhere. I would keep them and give it a try. Drumming is such a stress reliever. Even an idiot like me can play them (almost) decently...

Pearl Exports were made in the million drum catagory,and were the most plentiful and successful line of drums for Pearl.They are entry level in build quality and price,but do make a great starter kit.

As near as I can tell,you'll need floor tom legs,a couple of cymbal stands,and a hi hat stand.Buy them used and a ride cymbal,a crash cymbal and a pair of hi hat cymbals and you're off to the races.If you buy the hardware and cymbals used,another 100-150 and your golden.

I f you choose to sell,your kit is vintage 80's in avery common black wrap finish,which is not really desireable.They sell for around 200 -300 in good condition on a very good day,because the're so plentiful,and were cheap when brand new.

Good luck what ever you decide.Oh...and don't forget a tuning key(aka drum key).No doube they need tuning.

Steve B

Back