RIP Jeff Hanneman

Holy crap, can't believe I didn't hear about this until I saw the OP's post.
Jeff was far from my favourite guitarist but he'll always be a founding member of one of the most enduring and pioneering thrash metal bands.
I remember laughing when I heard he was so "metal" that he has never played a clean (tone that is) guitar part in his life and only ever played the distorted parts (not sure if this is true or not though).
I guess Gary Holt has a big decision to make- whether to permanently join one of the world's biggest metal acts or stick with the band he's more or less kept going single-handedly for the last 30 odd years.
A sad day indeed- RIP Jeff

Bummer, man. Didn't all his troubles begin with a spider bite or something? I read that somewhere.

This is just so sad and disheartening. Jeff was a part of something special. He helped found the baddest metal band that ever existed.

I would normally say "God Bless" here but considering it is Slayer we are talklng about, I won't be a hypocrite.

RIP Mr Hanneman ! I remember how much I digged your heavy guitar riff when I was in my teenage years.

This passing is telling me that unfortunately Slayer is slowly splitting apart...

Rest In Peace - Jeff.

I am still listening to your time-less guitar riffs... On the other hand, I don´t think Tom Araya would allow the band to split. He might say God Hates Us but We Never Surrender, never did and never will... Slayer Rules!

Wow!! Sad day.

Hopefully if there's any good in this, it's to aid in bringing it all back together.

Reign in..........whatever........wherever.

Cheers Jeff!

To those of us who grew up in the Bay Area during the thrash heyday Slayer was an integral, important part of our scene. To us they were bigger than Michael Jackson, or U2, or any other big name artist of the 1980's. They were to thrash what Nirvana was to grunge, the quintessential band of the genre. I know Metallica was always more popular, but Slayer, to me anyway, was the best of the "big 4".

Really sad news, and hopefully this will encourage Kerry and Dave to realize how short life can be and reconsile their differences.

Hard to believe a spider took down a Beast of metal...now i know why i hate god...ronnie james dio..the rev,,peter steele..chuck shuldiner,,now jeff hanneman...

Back