Anyone just play "for the fun of it?"

Dignan

Silver Member
I'm fairly new to the forum as I am getting back into drumming after an almost 12 year dry spell. I currently spend my precious and rare drum time practicing rudiments, watching instructional videos online and immitating and playing along to some of my favorite music.

My question is do many drummers on this forum just play because they enjoy it or are most professional musicians or part time giggers?

I played in a very casual "band" in high school and that was the extent if my "gigging" experience or playing with a group. My life does not currently afford me the opportunity to find another band or do any organized gigging. Im married with 2 kids under the age of 3. Thats basically 3 strikes against me on that front. I wouldnt have it any other way but just sayin.

I have an old beginner kit (embarrassed to say the name here) that ive done my best to outfit with good heads and informed tuning. I have good cymbals and a decent snare. I also built a good practice kit that I use more because of sleeping children. I enjoy it and want to get better but may never play in an organized group to be honest but am not opposed to it if one day I could. So is this normal? Anyone else like me in this respect?

With the exception of my not actually having a kit (one drum and a practice pad) I am in the same boat. It occured to me that I want to do it because it feeds a part of my soul that has been neglected for many years. I think that, for the most part, drummers that play professionally had to reach that place before they...made it. Playing an instrument for any other reason (to earn a living, for fame etc) has to be secondary or else one might not have the drive to overcome obstacles.

Just my two flams.

That would be me. I'm 45 and started lessons two years ago just because I loved the instrument and wanted to learn to play. I don't know if I'll ever get past the point of playing in the basement along to music or with my boyfriend who plays bass. I think about it but haven't gotten the guts to get out and play with others. Maybe some day but it's not necessary for my enjoyment of playing.

If you love what you are doing and it brings you happiness, then do it...no problem there :)

So welcome to the forum and if you feel like playing for others, you can do like I do, post a video of your playing along to music here now and then...you'll get a lot of great constructive criticism and help with anything you may have questions about.

Happy Drumming!

Welcome,
You will find every kind of drummer here.
Seasoned pros to woodshed heroes.
Most drummers here are local band types.
I gig with local bands but I am just as happy playing for the fun and challenge.
I have more fun playing in my living room with some of my Jazz buds then I have gigging.

Don't be embarrassed because you own a beginners kit.
Heads and tuning, along with some good sounding cymbals, and of course skill make the drummer.
I currently own and play 6 kits that range from a Sonor Safari to a Mapex Saturn.
I love them all for what they are. What they are is, FUN TO PLAY!
Every drum has a personality that you can bring out.

Thanks everyone. Good to know. My next obstacle is to convince the wife to let me upgrade the kit. I have my eye on one of those PDP M5 shell packs. Used would be fine. I don't need a pro kit for thousands of dollars but something better than my Sunlite kit.

PDP makes nice kits.
All of the manufacturers make nice inexpensive kits.
You can do well for around $700 on a new kit.

I've not been in a band for quite a few years, but I play usually everyday. I just had a 1st rehearsal with a band yasterday. It's a country band that I was with 20 yr. ago. It went great. So I guess I'm in a band now. I've gone several yr. between bands, several times, and always played at home for my own enjoyment. It's the love of music and drumming. I've been playing since 1969. and I'll keep playing till I die, I'm sure. I play along with tapes and CD's a lot. Welcome to the forum, come on in the water's fine.

That's the only reason to be playing!!

...even if you happen to make $ at it...

Fun was what motivated me in the beginning... but the more I learned the more I realized you gotta put the time in to improve. So I work pretty hard at the moment, while I don't have kids or too many other obligations in my way. The day will come where I don't have much time. Or so I think.

PDP makes nice kits.
All of the manufacturers make nice inexpensive kits.
You can do well for around $700 on a new kit.

Yup - I have one. I play every week at church and occassionally with another rock band. I've also been asked by two guitarists to join them jamming on Beatle tunes.

Fun was what motivated me in the beginning... but the more I learned the more I realized you gotta put the time in to improve. So I work pretty hard at the moment, while I don't have kids or too many other obligations in my way. The day will come where I don't have much time. Or so I think.

Fun motivated me in the beginning as well. In the 80s I played high school gigs, local pubs, larger rock venues, back yards and block parties. There was a time in my life when the band I played in was booked in advance every weekend for like 6 months. What a blast. When I married I had no problems putting the drums away for about 15 years while I made sure I could take care of my obligations, and during those 15 years I never went a day without tapping on something or thinking about playing. No regrets just pure desire to play.

For the last 10 years I've had a job I love that allows me to take care of my wife and to boot, allowed me to return to drumming. I have my newest kit in my home office and I play for pure enjoyment and most of that enjoyment comes from learning and improving which to me is now the fun part.

Now I'm at a phase in my drumming where I'm learning how to record and all I can say is: good golly miss molly, technology today is unbelievable. By the end of this month I'll be jamming with all my old cover favorites and starting my YouTube channel. JUST FOR FUN. lol, its all good.

Fun motivated me in the beginning as well. In the 80s I played high school gigs, local pubs, larger rock venues, back yards and block parties. There was a time in my life when the band I played in was booked in advance every weekend for like 6 months. What a blast. When I married I had no problems putting the drums away for about 15 years while I made sure I could take care of my obligations, and during those 15 years I never went a day without tapping on something or thinking about playing. No regrets just pure desire to play.

For the last 10 years I've had a job I love that allows me to take care of my wife and to boot, allowed me to return to drumming. I have my newest kit in my home office and I play for pure enjoyment and most of that enjoyment comes from learning and improving which to me is now the fun part.

Now I'm at a phase in my drumming where I'm learning how to record and all I can say is: good golly miss molly, technology today is unbelievable. By the end of this month I'll be jamming with all my old cover favorites and starting my YouTube channel. JUST FOR FUN. lol, its all good.

Awesome. Nice kit by the way. How do you like those frosted ec2 heads? I have the clears and really like them.

It should always be about the fun, even if you do end up making some money.

Likewise, if it ever stops being fun, no amount of money will change that.

Bermuda

It should always be about the fun, even if you do end up making some money.

Likewise, if it ever stops being fun, no amount of money will change that.

Bermuda
No better way to put it, IMO.

If I do the math and add up everything I've spent in band rent, equipment, and time, and then look at what I've taken in from it all, I'd think I was crazy if I was in it for the money. But I still think I've come out way ahead in the deal because of what my soul gets out of it - can't put a price on that.

If I do the math and add up everything I've spent in band rent, equipment, and time, and then look at what I've taken in from it all, I'd think I was crazy if I was in it for the money. But I still think I've come out way ahead in the deal because of what my soul gets out of it - can't put a price on that.

beautifully stated

I do, but because I'm older and no longer employed (doing other stuff) full time I realized that
I am a full time musician now....but not like the younger cats who are making it their full
time job during their peak years. I'm trying to make the most out of these senior years by
digging back into it and giving it my all....practice and play several hours daily....getting more and better gigs. I'm finally living out part of the dream I had in the 50's and 60's....being a
"full time" jazz drummer. I love it and it's for the "fun of it" or I wouldn't bother. Ed Thigpen
once told me that drumming wards off arthritis...so far I don't have it...maybe it does help?

I do, but because I'm older and no longer employed (doing other stuff) full time I realized that
I am a full time musician now....but not like the younger cats who are making it their full
time job during their peak years. I'm trying to make the most out of these senior years by
digging back into it and giving it my all....practice and play several hours daily....getting more and better gigs. I'm finally living out part of the dream I had in the 50's and 60's....being a
"full time" jazz drummer. I love it and it's for the "fun of it" or I wouldn't bother. Ed Thigpen
once told me that drumming wards off arthritis...so far I don't have it...maybe it does help?

I'm curious to hear some more stories from Mr. Thigpen.

Sent you a PM. Don't want to derail the thread too much...

As for the OP's question. I absolutely play for fun. Not just for fun though. Part of the reason I pursued drums was to play with others.

Making a few bucks on a gig and enjoying the musical interaction with others is just icing on the cake.

Drumming like my photography and my newest, pistol shooting are only hobbies. I am not actively seeking out a band but may do just that when I retire in a few years. You never know.

Yes.

At one point in time, drumming was a career. But I've not looked at it that way in a long time.

I've taken breaks from bands and such, but never fully stopped. I've always had a kit set up somewhere just for the fun of it.

Drumming like my photography and my newest, pistol shooting are only hobbies. I am not actively seeking out a band but may do just that when I retire in a few years. You never know.

I think you said it here. I also work full time in a career that has nothing to do with music. Maybe when I retire or when the kids move away I can seek out a band to play with. In the mean time, it's my escape from real life and hopefully I can build up some formidable skills to use if/when I do play with a band.

Back