Typical

Anybody had any of those experiences recently where all you can say is '...typical'?

Case in point. I'm staying down with my folks for a few days in Devon, where there isn't much light pollution. My father has an astronomical telescope and I'm a bit of a stargazer on occasion. I look out of the window (go out for a cigarette) and the sky is absolutely clear. I see if Dad wants to get the telescope out and set it up but first, I have to go and do something else that takes twenty minutes or so.

Get outside with the telescope and the sky has gone from clear to utterly overcast.

...typical.

I'm currently outside keeping my eye to the heavens for any glimpse that the sky will clear. It has cleared slightly... holding on.

Happens to me every time they mention an eclipse, or special planet arrangement. Go figure. Largest moon of the year, all cloudy

Just as I read this post, Mrs Smoke says, "Are you up for movie tonight?" "Sure!", says I.

" Great! Make up a small batch of popcorn for me and we'll start a movie!!

Typical...

Oh yes, I say it all the time when it comes to a certain cymbal company who always seems to discontinue a great model before I get a chance to get one...typical.

Last edited:
Yup, we were set for a spectacular red moon and it was cloudy all night.

Also those TV specials on aliens. They get focused on crappy sightings of balloons or meteors - but you only get the logic after interviews with half a dozen hopeful souls who tend to say "I don't know what it is, but ..."

Get out your telescope
Two minutes too late

This would make a great line in Ironic, don't you think?

I wanted to order and buy a Guru drumset.

Then I look at my current bank account...

... typical.

Spend thousands of dollars on state of the art digital cams and lenses, sat links, travel expenses, equipage, seek out Sasquatch see absolutely nothing for 18 weeks in the wilderness...

typical.

Looking forward to an extra band practice on Saturday because we have a Halloween gig, so I cancel my prior arrangements (playing a good board game with friends) earlier in the week for the scheduled practice today. Got a text last night that one band member is under the weather, so band practice got cancelled...another boring Saturday now.

typical.

Plans for the day were wife attending a seminar and me taking the kids to the zoo.

Last night she gets a last minute offer to see band she loves for free.

Her car dies on the way home, and has to be towed home at 2am. All our plans for the day are FUBAR.

Typical.

Work my ass off to be able to play a certain challenging single kick sequence....finally get it right one day and have a high for the entire day.....come back the next day excited to play it some more and move ahead....and can't play the damn thing or anything that resembles the proper figure.

......Typical....and extremely frustrating.

Saying the word typical many times in a row starts to sound really weird . Typical...

So a guy named PocketKrazy walks into a drum forum, and starts loosing his s*** in a D'Addario/Evans thread ..... and he gets banned.​
Typical.​

I really want to sell a kit to buy a new kit and GC won't buy it. Now I want to buy that kit and I can't do it till someone buys this current kit. I also need something to play while I switch over. If I buy a new kit without selling the old one my wife may shoot me.

...typical

Work my ass off to be able to play a certain challenging single kick sequence....finally get it right one day and have a high for the entire day.....come back the next day excited to play it some more and move ahead....and can't play the damn thing or anything that resembles the proper figure.

......Typical....and extremely frustrating.
Indeed. I just had the same experience. Me practicing anything is a very rare occurrence, but the new band job I just landed demanded at least some attention. One "insistence" from the artist concerned (I'm employed by a solo artist in a trio format) was to replicate a bass drum figure (at quite a speed) lifted straight from a programmed drum part on a recording of hers. It's a double, followed immediately by a double in a triplet feel, with a single bolted on. It's a part sloshy hi hat vibe, so double pedal isn't an option (& anyhow, when I tried it, it was too "clunky").

Anyhow, I got it fairly nailed down in about 15 minutes at home. Could I repeat it clean at the evening rehearsal? - take a wild guess :( :( :(

EDIT: Very beginning of this clip :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0IvKIRhqfk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by a moderator:
We can never find a bass player for a SMALL jam we are trying to get off the ground. I just found out from the guitar player that this Sunday we will have 3 bass players show up... I can't wait to play drums with two bass players sitting right next to my floor tom - it is a small venue and unless we go acoustic I will have company the whole jam. I am thinking I will give one of them a stick and have him play the right side of my kit for me...

Plans for the day were wife attending a seminar and me taking the kids to the zoo.

Last night she gets a last minute offer to see band she loves for free.

Her car dies on the way home, and has to be towed home at 2am. All our plans for the day are FUBAR.

Typical.

FUBAR....I love it.Sorry about the car and the plans getting screwed....but Murphys Law is always in full effect.....what can go wrong,will go wrong at the worst possible time....trust me....

There are better days ahead.:)

Steve B

Back