Still having a blast playing at 60; I am even more absorbed now..

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Therefore that Black Beauty needs to be with me now, My other snare drums will be neglected; because once it is in my embrace I shall not want to be with any other drum. Amen, so it has been written and so it shall be.

OK, that was kind of goofy but that is the way I am feeling these days.

It's like I deserve one now. Thank you Drummerworld, I always gain knowledge from here, and often it comes from very straight forward & logical observations.

https://soundcloud.com/user4976306/sets/play-list-to-date

Hey Bruce.....I'm very happy to hear you are rolling along at 60!! Keep it up and may good health be with you. The BB is a killer snare...buy it.

I started drumming at age 46 and I'm 51 now....its very nice to see guys still passionate and able as we continue to be acquainted with the aging cycle.

Growing up is overrated. I'm gonna be 13 soon. C'mon lets rock.

I don't think one snare is enough. You need a few snares for various tones. Just my opinion.

Jose, thanks for the continued inspiration. I look for things like this to keep me real.

I'm 56 and often think what I'll be doing at 60, 65, 70. I fully intend to have music as my major hobby.

A few years back at my favorite bar and restaurant, a small soul band performed. I was thinking the youngest member was about 60. That is more than enough inspiration for me.

Thanks again brother

Thanks for your kind words. I wrote that last night (morning) after getting back from 3 separate jam sessions and was pretty pumped. Now it is Monday morning and I am reminded of my age lol. The Ludwig will be a good investment all the way around. Cheers and hope you all have a great week.

I have 9 years to go before retiring (65) from my teaching job and have been thinking of what to do after. Thanks for the idea.

My iPhone countdown timer is on 1 year, 51 days 4 hours and 45 minutes. Then I can play or practice at will.

I have to chime in again.....thanks so much for these ages and activity levels. I'm 51 and was wondering if I could find a band to play in when I'm a few years down the road or should I hang it up as I approach 60....Ive played for many many years as a guitarist but took up drums only 5 years ago cause I was, well, bored with the guitar.

Drumming is my life blood now and it has revolutionized my activity level, health, etc...

You folks are showing me there is no limit and there will always be opportunities,.

Awesome!

God bless you Bromasi, you give me inspiration. I'm 61 and still doing about 120 shows a year. Beats me up a bit more but I downsized my kit a bit. I may not have the chops I once had but in many ways I think I play better now. I listen and play for the music.

God bless you Bromasi, you give me inspiration. I'm 61 and still doing about 120 shows a year. Beats me up a bit more but I downsized my kit a bit. I may not have the chops I once had but in many ways I think I play better now. I listen and play for the music.

Most of my playing was between the ages of 5 and 24. Took 3 decades off. I do not have the power and some techniques may not be as good as when I was most active in lessons, probably around 12-14 years old. But I too play more for the music and am not out to try to impress anyone with my "chops". I think this version of me supports the other members of the band better than the younger version of me.

I am also more honest with myself and really want to practice on my weak points.

I have to chime in again.....thanks so much for these ages and activity levels. I'm 51 and was wondering if I could find a band to play in when I'm a few years down the road or should I hang it up as I approach 60....Ive played for many many years as a guitarist but took up drums only 5 years ago cause I was, well, bored with the guitar.

Drumming is my life blood now and it has revolutionized my activity level, health, etc...

You folks are showing me there is no limit and there will always be opportunities,.

Awesome!

Actually, it may be even easier to find musicians to play with as we are the boom generation, as far a just getting together there are about 5 different sets of people I play with with; many of whom are very talented. It could partly be a numbers thing or often it is preferred to play with drummers who know the music and are not there to show everyone they know how to play the drums.Just listening to your soundcloud tunes, good sound. Done in a studio?

I have just joined a Funk band at the age of 62, and after 2 months getting into the Funk groove I know I have never been playing better. Having to learn a lot of new stuff really gets me up and running again.

I'm 64, mostly been a basement drummer, but I have been jamming out a lot lately and have 3 scheduled for next week. Lots of boomers out there with free time and still wanting to play.

52 here, figure in 15 years or so may have to limit amount of double bass metal songs I play.. ah maybe not.. lol .. on a more serious note I see my taste "maturing" a bit.. like preferring a single ply snare batter head.. don't know if age has anything to do with it though?

Back