Spent about 45 min playing a Cajon today

konaboy

Pioneer Member
And boy are my hands sore! They were a swollen afterwards too. First time I've really had a chance to play one outside of testing some at Guitar Center and SamAsh. We did an unplugged set this morning at church and we borrowed a Cajon from another church. Was super fun to play and man coming through a great sound system with subs it sounded incredible!

All I know is our worship leader wants to buy one now so we can do this more often. I'm trying to talk them into a Schlagwerks :)

And boy are my hands sore!

If you're making your hands sore on a cajon, you're hitting too hard. If you're amplified, let the mikes do the work =) But anyways, welcome to the box club! Many happy returns.

If you're making your hands sore on a cajon, you're hitting too hard. If you're amplified, let the mikes do the work =) But anyways, welcome to the box club! Many happy returns.

Yeah that's what I figured. I was having a hard time getting a good sound/crack at the top unless I laid into it a little.

All I know is our worship leader wants to buy one now so we can do this more often. I'm trying to talk them into a Schlagwerks :)

Don't get one of those ugly boxes with stamped lettering on it.

http://www.wiseguyscajons.com/

Look, and sound better... Usually for cheaper. Real craftsmen as opposed to a production line.

I had the same problem when I first started playing a cajon, which wasn't long ago. You learn how to "milk" tone out of the cajon and then you don't need to hit as hard. I'm still learning myself obviously. For longer gigs I may even start using some finger tape. Since you mentioned Schlagwerk, I will say this. The Schlagwerk 2 in one bass cajon was the first one I bought. Incredible bass tone, but really lacks snare tone. Of course some of the other models will have more snare, but a Schlagwerk is a very dry sounding cajon in general. I just got my new Kopf Double Shot snare cajon and the snare tone is much better. Sounds more like a real drum set, and a SM57 into the board will give it all the bass you need.

The Schlagwerk is a great feeling instrument though. It's that same feeling I get when playing my Custom Shop '58 reissue Les Paul, you do feel the quality for sure. But like Dr Watso said, don't get the Schlagwerk with the writting and This End Up arrow...they look goofy ( :

Yeah man, cajons can hurt! I had the same problem when rehearsing with a cajon for an unplugged show we did a few months back. I ended up in so much pain and with so many bruises that I bought myself a pair of really heavy plastic brushes/rods.

Definitely a different sound, but it worked well in an unplugged rock setting; as played by a jackass rock drummer who has next to no hand percussion skills. The noise of the plastic strands also added a bit of "snare" sound to the mix, which was nice.

It's a fun instrument to play, but definitely not one that I'd be able to master after only a few rehearsals. I tried my best to just simulate a normal backbeat and keep myself out of trouble :)

Pic of the rods in question:

Attachments

• InstagramCapture_a62fcc9e-b00d-4d22-8b9a-c6946a13b111.jpg
    InstagramCapture_a62fcc9e-b00d-4d22-8b9a-c6946a13b111.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 162
Back