help choosing basedrum size

Robert P

i just ordered a new gretsch usa custom maple kit but i still need to confirm the basedrum size.
i just sold my tama starclassic performer birch kit which had a 22 x 18 kick, which i found to be too boomy, I play all music but not anything that is heavy rock and if anything i lean more towards jazz, swing m blues and some funk.
I dont want anything too small but i wanna get away from what i was using before.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

If you have lighter leanings 20x14. Slightly heavier leanings 22x14. The two standard "traditional" sizes of the 50's. 60's, and 70's.

Hey DrumGuyfromWI,

I have an 18 x 22 and agree that it's a little boomy for my tastes.
I've also been looking at 16 x 22 or 16 x 20's and I haven't been able to decide.
I've also been thinking about the difference between 16 and 14 x 22's.

Any help guys?

Thanks,
Drummertist

i just ordered a new gretsch usa custom maple kit but i still need to confirm the basedrum size.
i just sold my tama starclassic performer birch kit which had a 22 x 18 kick, which i found to be too boomy, I play all music but not anything that is heavy rock and if anything i lean more towards jazz, swing m blues and some funk.
I dont want anything too small but i wanna get away from what i was using before.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I prefer a 26" myself but, for what you are playing I'd go with a 14x20 or 14x22.

If you want to see a ridiculously over sized bass drum just for fun checkout Tommy Lee's new 16x32. Now that's got to be boomy.

14" depth on 18", 20", or 22" drums is good. Not the boominess that you lose your definition in, but a good, solid "smack in the gut" punch--like a kick SHOULD sound.

The most versatile that I see is the 20", but you can do a lot with an 18 or 22. It's a matter of your personal preference.

I've had 20, 22, and 24 inch bass drums, I prefer the 22. It seems far more versatile and comfortable for the "average" height guy (6 ft. tall). I liked my 20" a lot too, but found that it couldn't kick (punz!) out the volume that I wanted in some cases and wasn't deep enough for some settings. The 24" didn't suit me at all. Too big, too heavy, and I had to tune the batter too high to make it responsive.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Best size ever responsive with a lot of attack 22 * 16 very stiff. i have a 22 * 18 and prefer the first size 1000 times.

I prefer a 26" myself but, for what you are playing I'd go with a 14x20 or 14x22.

If you want to see a ridiculously over sized bass drum just for fun checkout Tommy Lee's new 16x32. Now that's got to be boomy.

It would be if actually used it. He is almost certainly just using it for show and triggering the kick drum sound.

On both of my kits I use a 20" x 14". 3 ply, which resonates and gives me the solid boom sound I need or I can lay back and play softer. And the venues I play are not accustically perfect - brick or stone walls, so the 20", 3 ply is perfect. They're both older kits....

then recently some numb-nuts guitar player sat in the audience for maybe 20 minutes and said my bass was "too loud. I need to muffle it. Have I tried using a blanket or pillow to muffle the sound?" I wanted to vomit. I wasn't miked but everyone else in the band was. I've not ever been asked that question in all the years I've been playing. I kindly explained that yes, I did muffle it when I was a teenager back in the 70's because then rock drummers muffled their drums to sound like card board boxes, but now I much prefer the pure sound of drum heads resonating off each other - the way they are supposed to work. :) .......typical dumb-ass guitar player.....supposedly a "professional"....yeah, right.......

You gotta go 26 or bigger!!!!

The bigger the better.

But, I am biased and do not play jazz!!!!

Didn't some of the old jazz greats use HUGE bass drums???

You gotta go 26 or bigger!!!!

The bigger the better.

But, I am biased and do not play jazz!!!!

Didn't some of the old jazz greats use HUGE bass drums???

Mikey - at the rate your bass drum size was expanding, last time I heard - I figured you'd be playing from the *inside* of a bass drum by now?

Mikey - at the rate your bass drum size was expanding, last time I heard - I figured you'd be playing from the *inside* of a bass drum by now?

LMAO

Very good Vin!

Hey, did you call that place????

I recommend them highly. Although, I am not buying my Supra from them. About 25 bucks more.

Mike

Back