Total C-RAP!

Andy

Honorary Member
Well, it's official - the world's greatest music festival just lost the plot. There seems to be a policy of putting all the acts that can actually perform on the stages during the day, then feature the ones that can't during the evening, culminating in the total joke category as headliners.

I present the evidence! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbao8utizk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's been dead for quite some time, you know ;)
You have a point, but shaking off my "old fartness", there is some great modern music making out there. I have many friends playing Glastonbury today. Some of them seasoned pro's, some of them emerging artists of quality, so there is balance. These friends of mine are playing this afternoon. An emerging act with quality songwriting at the core :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUwitv1tbjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgRMDSJzmo

This Kayne West performance in my OP is a new low by any measure though :(

You have a point, but shaking off my "old fartness", there is some great modern music making out there. I have many friends playing Glastonbury today. Some of them seasoned pro's, some of them emerging artists of quality, so there is balance. These friends of mine are playing this afternoon. An emerging act with quality songwriting at the core :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUwitv1tbjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgRMDSJzmo

This Kayne West performance in my OP is a new low by any measure though :(

No, I hear you. There is good stuff out there. It's just so overrun by the crap that's out there that they get lost in the din. But I suspect this isn't the first time we old-timers complained about the crap that's popular.

Somebody tell me that's not a real performance but a joke.

Please.

Good grief! That really is S-HITE.

was that link to some no talent loser who cant sing a note some kind ofa joke? tell me that didn't happen.

Like Buddy said="There are only two kinds of music=good and bad. " I'll leave it to the listener to decide.
Gosh lucky some of you are in the UK cause if you are from the US and diss Kanye you run the risk of being called an ignorant racist LOL.

Unfortunately guys, that did happen, & a Saturday night headline on the biggest stage in one of the biggest music festivals on earth.

The aspect that bothers me most is that younger performers just starting out, may look up to this as something they should aspire to. "This is how good I need to be to succeed". That's troubling on multiple levels :(

Something they never taught us in music school... If you can't hit the high notes, let the audience do it for you!

Something they never taught us in music school... If you can't hit the high notes, let the audience do it for you!
Yes Jeremy, that old ruse, but unfortunately, in order for that to work, you need to be able to hit some notes somewhere in the piece ;)

Gosh lucky some of you are in the UK cause if you are from the US and diss Kanye you run the risk of being called an ignorant racist LOL.
Thankfully, the Brits are fairly straight talking & most can easily distinguish between a hidden racist slur & honest critique of a poor performance.

I was celebrating my Mum's 90th birthday yesterday with a lot of family. My eldest brother was watching The Bands=The Last Waltz. The Band hasn't alway been my most favorite band but I was taken by just how talented all the musicians were-and all singing too. I've seen some incredible talent in my life that has never even been a major headliner and some head liners with so little talent you wonder who was the millionaire that fronted their band and paid for everyone to show up.

I find it hilariously embarrassing that this bloke stood there on the stage & proclaimed himself "the greatest living rock star on the planet", only to then show that he's probably the only person on the planet not to know the words to Bohemian Rhapsody!
He's just a joke, and a bad one at that.

Sad that anyone thinks thats good

This is a double whammy, never really liked Queen's melodramatic songs and that KWest is evidence that you can make it to the top based on very little talent for playing live music and whole ton of bs. So last nights main set was sonically the equivalent of a rapid expulsion of a pharl curry only the pain went on and on and then I just switched off.

I will give credit where credit is due. Kanye is a huge star, and a legitimate headliner for one the worlds largest festivals, as evidenced by the massive amount of people in the crowd actually singing. If any of the more talented bands you speak of could bring in that many people, they would be headlining. All the organizers care about is making money, the music is just a vehicle for profits. I dont understand why he chose to step out of his genre and "cover" a queen song. My guess is it was to try and win over the British crowd, or some such reasoning. It was obviously a train wreck and I am sure he regrets it today. I am not a Kanye fan specifically or a hip-hop fan generally, but if what he does was easy, everybody would be doing it.

It's soooo easy to hate this.

I have to close my eyes until my brightness grows.

I guess the thing that upsets me most is that he wasn't booed off the stage.

Quite the contrary. People will love whatever you give them if you have enough magnitude.

That's the people's problem IMO.

Kanye is smart to capitalize on it but he has zero of my respect.

He could take a dump onstage to massive cheers.

I'm a fairly large advocate that an artist does not require any level of academic training or virtuosity to provoke an emotional response. Such is the nature of most young musical genres ranging from folk to blues to dubstep. It's as if a genre is fueled by its accessibility.

Even within rap/hiphop, it has been demonstrated that a non-singer can emote. Example: https://youtu.be/9aofoBrFNdg?t=93

What KW did in the OP's clip is bad karaoke at best. Barely entertaining, and he's very fortunate that the audience went with it.

I think the Thermals sum it up well...

Back