Whiplash the Movie

OK,that Farmers Insurance guy needs,what the NYPD likes to call.....a corrective interview,or better still .....a tune up.Looks like a decent flick though.

Steve B

I've read forums where there are drummers who've had this very variety of "mentor" (yelling, degrading, throwing things even...) and they THANK them for helping forming them musically! Go figure...

Great art is born from great pain.

Love that line, so true. Look at Blues. Oddly enough, that's a quote from Gomez Addams from the TV show "The Addams Family".

Definitely going to see this movie.

Really looking forward the the James Brown Movie too. It's out as of yesterday.

I'm intrigued. Thanks for the post.

I can't help but think of Schillinger from OZ whenever I see JK Simmons yelling. Just remembering how thoroughly evil that character was reminds me how good an actor he is.

I will definitely see this one.

I just saw this today. I really, really liked it. Simmons gives a terrific performance. You don't have to like jazz or drums to enjoy this movie, but it's especially fun if you do.

Saw it here in OZ in Melbourne ! :),
LOVED it! but IMHO/FWIW i'd NEVER EVER let myself be treated so badly&poorly&would NEVER EVER put myself in that kind/type of emotional&physical torture FWI/IMHO NO gig is worth doing THAT to yourself! :),
What cymbals&drums was he playing thruout the movie?.

There are some inaccuracies in terms of how drum- and music-related things are depicted, but I tend to let those slide, because you kind of have to when it comes to movies. Whenever you watch a movie about a subject you know a lot about, you notice the things that aren't quite right.

For instance, the pain threshold depicted when the guy is practicing uptempo playing (which they call 'double-time') is not how it really works, but to get the point across to a larger audience, I understand why it gets dramatized that way. They also distort the Jo Jones/Charlie Parker story.

I'm an avid chessplayer and they always get things wrong in movies, showing scenarios that never happen, but again, that's show biz.

I've read forums where there are drummers who've had this very variety of "mentor" (yelling, degrading, throwing things even...) and they THANK them for helping forming them musically! Go figure...

There is a piano professor at a local University here that in infamous for making her students cry. I saw the movie with one of her former students, and she said something interesting about it... that that teacher was trying to ale great music through her students, but also that she cared more about the music than her students. It seemed to be that this same sentiment was implied in the movie.

I've been wanting to see this for a while. It got great reviews but did not play in any local theaters. Hopefully it will be out on DVD soon.

Pretty dumb movie. To say it's a stretch of the imagination is putting it lightly.

I saw the movie, and it is so disappointing.

The way they play the drum sucks so hard. It looks like they cannot play. They are not using their wrist, no Style at all. Tommy Igoe would be shocked :)

And I'm not speaking about the way they present practicing which so wrong.

All good or gifted players are always super relaxed when they play because they practice so much and here it's not case at all.

It's always the same bad story with those Hollywood movies.

Thought it is not a "Drummer movie", Birdman is 10.000 time better for people who like drums comparing to Whiplash. All the fills are so inspirational and played by a super drummer.

That preview is hilarious-any educator would be looking at a lawsuit and lose his job treating students like that. Now surely when I was in grad school (not music) I took a lot of abuse but it wasn't overt-just demanding, mild embarrassments, and unequal treatment. Basically they treat you like an imbecile till you finally defend your dissertation, publish a few papers, and join the club-then they suddenly call you "doctor" and you keep looking around the room wondering who the heck they are talking about. Throwing things and slapping a student is just so unrealistic-it's called assault and battery. Call the cops. I saw an interview with the main character and he stated he felt like a competent drummer in all genres except jazz. Now that's some fine acting LOL.

If you look past the blaring technique and drum faults, it's not a bad movie. I can relate to a lot of the things happening to the main character. Getting angry and frustrated, thrashing equipment, bleeding and all that jazz.
I didn't have a crazy angry instructor, so I had to be one to myself.

I'm sorry some of you can't see beyond some of the flaws - to enjoy something that can touch the hearts of anyone who has experienced the amazing joy of playing.

I'll take a 180 from some of you - I think it is a very special movie.
Had chills running down my spine for 15 minutes after.
Watched it 3 times, and I'll enjoy it many more times in my life.

Back