You know you're addicted to drumming when...

• When you bring your bass drum case to the dealership to make sure it will fit into the new car you want.
  • When you seriously consider the idea of spending your kid's college savings on new DW's and hoping like hell he get's a good scholarship.
Man I hope my wife doesn't read drummerworld...

when you wake up in the morning, and write these blues lyrics:
"woke up this mornin, and my drumset just was gone
woke up this mornin, and my drumset just was gone
big fat mama, what are you doing to your son?"
grin

when you play a 15 minute very impressive drumsolo, enhancing the solo show by all the other bandmembers leaving the stage and have a good time at the bar.

when I walk I snap my fingers on the beats between the steps. So it's like left-click-right-click-left-click etc.. Very anoying for the people at work..

Several days ago I was driving home, and in the passenger-side floor of my truck I had a pedal hooked up to a woodblock, since I'm trying to get into some of that left foot clave independence stuff. I got an idea, which is probably pretty dumb, but anyway... I slid my seat back and set the woodblock and pedal underneath my left foot, kind of next to the brake, and I turned up the radio and practiced drumming on the steering wheel (with sticks of course!) while keeping the left foot clave going. That's bad enough, but then a Def Leppard song came on, and I realized my cowbell was in the passenger seat, too, so I of course had to play it as well. It goes without saying that driving like that is kind of hard, so don't get yourself killed if you decide to try it yourself! I must have looked pretty strange...

When you find rhythm in anything, the dishwasher, the dryer, the washing machine, windshield wipers, and the list goes on and on ;-)

I have done that. Also when you are tapping on a table top and don't realize that you have been doing it for 5 minutes or so. The only reason you stop is because the people you are sitting with finally get annoyed with you and say cut it out or covers your hands.

When you get home from a hard day at work, don't even stop to make a brew, get food or any other thing non-drummers would or (in my case) even get changed out of your suit/work clothes.. you just get straight onto the drums and away you go.

you don't move forward when you swim (any of you get this?)/QUOTE]

Ummm, I don't... (and quietly hoping I'm not the only one...?)

When, instead of counting "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc" you count"1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4"

Or: When you hear a clicking noise, I.E windscreen wipers you count one beat for every sound it makes.
:)

I have done that. Also when you are tapping on a table top and don't realize that you have been doing it for 5 minutes or so. The only reason you stop is because the people you are sitting with finally get annoyed with you and say cut it out or covers your hands.

Ahh yes, happens to me all the time, friends think I'm a freak haha

...when your wife of 10 years says "Either the drums go, or I go!" and you say "Well, I'll really miss YOU."

how about when you just blew a substantial amount of your new car fund on a new drum kit? that just happened to me haha hurry up and get here new Gretsch drums...

you go to a concert and when the song ends and everyone starts clapping.. you try to clap and make a polyrythm with the clapping of the guy next to you ( 3/2, 4/3, 5/4.. etc)

When you're walking home from school and the '1' is your foot hitting the ground and the '&' is the scuff of your other foot on the way up lol (Mum used to go crazy wondering why my schoolshoes only lasted 3 weeks lol)

And also when the phone rings and you try to work out the time sig of the ringing. And when you finally do and go to answer it, it stops hehe

And finally (and one I do to this day), when you're drunk (especially at a club or busy pub), going up to your friend and drumming on them along to the song playing and them getting really annoyed after like the fifth time lol...And also if dancing with a girl start drummin' up a storm on that booty thinking she'll be impressed with how in time you are with the music but instead she just walks off lol

Last edited:
Back