Anybody seen these yet?

I walked by them at NAMM.

I'm not really sure what DW was going for, given they put this out with the PDP name while also trying to offer lower price point DW kits.

I think that Elton's old drummer was Davey Johnson. I loved his drum kit back in the day. A friend of mine that used to work at the Ayotte factory has a wood hooped Ayotte kit. They sound fantastic. I have to admit a big part of the appeal, though, is aesthetic. That being said, I really don't like the Yamaha wood hoops. It looks like Anton Fig, in the Letterman band, has those rims on all his drums. Fuuuuugly!
IMO, of course.

Johnstone was the guitarist.
Nigel Olson was the drummer.

I walked by them at NAMM.

I'm not really sure what DW was going for, given they put this out with the PDP name while also trying to offer lower price point DW kits.

Could it be DW is coming of age (probably already have years ago) and just doing things that are confusing to the consumer? I think every big company has done that at some point in time just because they could ;)

And oh well, I don't think I'll be trying these out any time soon. So you other interested members will have to let me know how it all goes. This time of year I've got too much $$$ going out for any bigger purchases. Maybe towards the end of summer after we see how the pioneers are doing ;)

My friend just ordered these w/ the 24" and he's waiting for them to ship. I bought the 6" wood hooped snare a few weeks ago and like it. It's far less loud than my other snares, so I use it with quieter acts. I was looking for a super fat snare sound for a band I gig with - many songs require most of the riding to be done on the snare.

I'd suggest changing out ALL heads before playing, since they ship with cheapo stuff.

I Have ordered a set, blond, 13/16/18/26.
It's going to be my 'Bonham' kit. It's not the real thing, but I like the way the PDPs look as well as the price.
I might play around with some of that Ludwig Altas hardware on this one - just for the fun of it.

Thanks,

Jorn

Yeah it's not just the wood hoops, it's also the classic shell sizes. The normal PDP Concepts are deeper bass drums, deeper rack toms, and shallower floors. This kit is for people that not only dig the classic woody sound, but also the look!

Arizona Drum Shop has plenty in stock. Both the natural and tobacco stains, plus the 18" floor toms. Played them and they sound great and look great in person. I'd planned to get a set but built my own from vintage marching drums before I saved enough $ to purchase the PDPs. May sell the vintage and go PDP however since I like the big bass drum.

Attachments

• marching set 008.jpg
    marching set 008.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 2,445
I still do like these drums, but I'm not ready to get another set just yet. That said, I suggest people try installing Remo PS4 batter heads on all of their drums and tune down and see if you can't get that woody tone. I did on both of my classic maple Ludwigs.

The one PDP demo video I did see, they installed coated PS4 heads on the kit and that's what I think is responsible for that woody tone, more than the drums themselves. Like I said, it's a very cool psychological effect. But if you don't have the money to get them, try the heads first.

I Have ordered a set, blond, 13/16/18/26.
It's going to be my 'Bonham' kit. It's not the real thing, but I like the way the PDPs look as well as the price.
I might play around with some of that Ludwig Altas hardware on this one - just for the fun of it.

Thanks,

Jorn

Now you're talkin'! Be sure to keep us updated with lots of pics. If money was available (sigh!), I'd like to have the 12/16/18/24 combo. I just like the way they look - and if they sound great, all the better. There is no rip off in the price, either. That's a very fair deal. Watch the prices skyrocket a few years from now as the Chinese learn to enjoy Western materialism. Price wise, we're in good-drum heaven right now. Enjoy it while you can.

GeeDeeEmm

Okay, now I've heard them and seen them in person.

For me, they're not worth it.

In my previous post in this thread, I assumed PDP were using different claws on the tom hoops. They're not. All the hardware is simply parts picked from the "bass drum" bins. Moreover, the claws are cheap, stamped crap.

The finish is equal to the regular PDP lines in terms of quality; it's quite nice. The heads are different, thicker. The bearing edges are not different. So you get a slightly different sound from the regular line thanks to the heads. The heads are cheap, Chinese junk you're going to have to replace, but that's not really a condemnation as that's the industry standard.

They sound...pretty good, actually. But I could get the same sound from a similarly-sized set of regular PDPs for ... what? A third less? $900 vs $600 for a bass and two toms? And I'd get a tom holder.

My overall impression is that the PDP Concept Classic is nothing really special. They've made a kit which is only cosmetically different than their regular offerings, reduced the quality of some parts, and increased the price by a %33. The cynic in me thinks they spotted what was going on with C&C Player Date, the Hip Pig, etc. - in other words, the whole "new vintage" movement - and decided to cash in with a cool-looking (but not really different-sounding) kit at a lower price point.

Pass.

Which sucks, because I really wanted to like this.

My buddy, a DW endorser, loved them so much, that he took them out on tour with Stephen Stills. They are the wood-hooped version.

I follow that guy on Instagram and saw his beautiful, non-production finish in a few pics. what a kit!

Back