Gretsch Endorsement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've negotiated endorsement contracts in the past, but always having nice, great sounding drums, I never wanted to put all my eggs in one basket. In my modest opinion, settling for for an endorsement with Gretsch because it could not happen with Ludwig is a little like whoring yourself out a bit and taking what you can get. Gretsch is a good company, but it wasn't your first choice and now your first choice in drums are going to be sitting in the corner. I couldn't or wouldn't do what you did because I enjoy playing exactly the drums I want to play in public appearances. Most people are very happy to be able to endorse a company just for the sake of having an endorsement. I'm not saying that you are one of these individuals, but you are turning your back on the drum company you really love by not playing them in public.

Good luck with what you are doing.

Dennis

If I had endless cash flow I'd own all kinds of drums, wouldn't you? Like I said in my earlier post..not just me my whole band got hit up with endorsement deals. I did take the time to seek out what I was using. As a working drummer I do need quick service to keep things rolling. You all act like there is only one good product of drums out there. I think most of you that replied are acting like a dare not speak any other drum company. Another question for you know it all's. How many years did Neil Peart play TAMA and use a Slingerland snare drum? Shame on him!! I even remember him saying it his favorite sounding snare...So where are you people coming from...??

DRUMS ARE DRUMS!!!!

Right.

So, a Gretsch representative visits this board (and that is more likely than you might think) and reads this:

Kg_lee said:
I switched back to Ludwig 2 years ago and I'm hooked.

First off, you've promoted a direct competitor in your opening gambit. Well, that's not in the interests of Gretsch, is it? The rest of your post feels like you are trying to justify preferring the Ludwigs. Is that in the best interests of Gretsch? Not at all.

If I worked for Gretsch, I'd be watching you very, very closely.

EDIT: Incidentally, we're not 'ignorant'. We just disagree with your perspective. If anything, you are acting out of ignorance - ignorance of how the drum market and these artist deals work. I'm sure Bermuda can explain it all to you very clearly if he chose to but frankly, it's probably a waste of his time.

Oh dear, this isn't going very well at all.

I don't have to worry.. I posted nothing wrong. I just didn't DIS my previous brand "LUDWIG" I played. Believe me I would have never taken a step backwards in choosing a kit. It just people on here just like anywhere want to create more drama!

Absolutely no drama-making intended. As Larry said, we've got your back on this one, if you'll just see it that way. It's technically true that you posted nothing "wrong", but what's also true is that you're failing to live up to the spirit of the agreement, and it's likely that Gretsch is free to terminate that agreement at any time, for any reason, "wrong" or otherwise.

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from others'. - Otto von Bismarck

There are many drummers who use Ludwig drums, Evans heads, DW hardware, etc etc etc. No one is questioning you on that. I will say this one ,more time and I am out. You don't start a thread about a Gretsch Endorsement and tell everyone how much you will miss playing Ludwig. You don't see Ford car commercials with people saying they just bought a new SUV and it will look good sitting in the driveway next to their Chevy. I don't know why that is so hard for you to comprehend. Bye bye.

I removed most of my post because of the IGNORANCE of some of you people on here!

And you act like I have a problem? I've been in the music business a long time and make a living at... and that being I don't put up with idiots!!! You don't think I get defensive on the business end? People will walk all over you if you don't.

I think I've been quite reasonable but Kg_lee clearly doesn't seem to understand how these things work.

I know, KG is in defensive mode when really we are all on his side. Dude, we have your best interests at heart.

If you were drum company X and were were endorsing drummer A, and drummer A was publicly touting drum company Z, how would you feel when you heard about drummer A praising drum company Z? You'd feel betrayed to a certain extent.

Surely you can see that.

We don't want to see your Gretsch endorsement get yanked. It could, if this got back to Gretsch. It might even be in your contract, if you signed one. THAT'S the reason these points are being raised. We see things that could hurt you. Being appreciative not defensive wouldn't hurt.

wow...........................

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-20 at 2.51.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-20 at 2.51.58 PM.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 921
Now Mr. Mayor, is that a good example?

There are many drummers who use Ludwig drums, Evans heads, DW hardware, etc etc etc. No one is questioning you on that. I will say this one ,more time and I am out. You don't start a thread about a Gretsch Endorsement and tell everyone how much you will miss playing Ludwig. You don't see Ford car commercials with people saying they just bought a new SUV and it will look good sitting in the driveway next to their Chevy. I don't know why that is so hard for you to comprehend. Bye bye.

That was KG's reply in another thread...not mine.

And the problem is? People posted ignorance all over my thread. For example that guy said I was "spoiled" well I really do think that snare shouldn't be on that kit and in exchange for "spoiled" I used "stupid."

I honestly don't need this forum if you think I was the problem here! I apologize to the people who were kind but the rest are *********. Even you "Mayor" attacked my post.. I did nothing!!

Everyone seem to have a problem with me using Gretsch because I like Ludwig to...but as you see this guy who posted in my thread uses Tama with a Ludwig kit... doesn't make sense to me. You've taught me I can only like one and nothing else in today's lesson on here.

I don't post very often, but have a couple things I would like to add.

I obviously don't agree with being endorsed by a company you don't 100% love. It would be one thing to own and play (at home) other kits, but to go on a public forum and talk about another brand is out of line. Like many others have said, if a Gretsch rep sees this you can say goodbye to your deal...

I removed most of my post because of the IGNORANCE of some of you people on here!

This is completely ridiculous. While you have a right to post your thoughts and feelings on this forum, others do to.

I do have a quick story to share. I had an endorsement deal once upon a time for a stick company that I did not love. I used a different brand regularly and only took the deal for the equipment and exposure. Before I switched companies I went as far a to sand the name of my preferred sticks and have the brand I was endorsing engraved on the other sticks... I am not very proud of this... Anyways, Love story short, learn from my mistake and only endorse equipment that you use and are happy with.

And the problem is? People posted ignorance all over my thread. For example that guy said I was "spoiled" well I really do think that snare shouldn't be on that kit and in exchange for "spoiled" I used "stupid."

I honestly don't need this forum if you think I was the problem here! I apologize to the people who were kind but the rest are *********. Even you "Mayor" attacked my post.. I did nothing!!

Everyone seem to have a problem with me using Gretsch because I like Ludwig to...but as you see this guy who posted in my thread uses Tama with a Ludwig kit... doesn't make sense to me. You've taught me I can only like one and nothing else in today's lesson on here.

I still think you don't understand the meaning of the word 'ignorance':

ignorance [ˈɪgnərəns]
n
lack of knowledge, information, or education; the state of being ignorant

In this instance, you are being deeply ignorant of what having an endorsement deal means. It means that you promote the company by using their gear and boosting their reputation through whatever means in exchange for support from the company. It is a business transaction and is thus liable to contract. I suspect that somewhere in the contract it will mention that the artist is to use Gretsch equipment exclusively in the public domain and is to promote Gretsch drums wherever possible.

Other players do use other snares. Most of those players are high-level artists that the company has a vested interest in keeping. Neil Peart could use a Slingerland snare for all of those years because Ludwig/Tama/Etc had it in their interest to keep him on their roster. Kicking him off the roster for using the 'wrong' snare drum would not be in their best business interest - they would lose a huge star and the exposure that Neil Peart brought to the various brands he signed with.

In your case, you are not Neil Peart. You are an ordinary working drummer with relatively little exposure (are you on the front of Modern Drummer?) and thus Gretsch are much more likely to hold you to your contract. If I were a Gretsch representative reading this thread, I would have already have called you and cancelled the deal. Remember - you are not only representing yourself but you are also representing Gretsch now as well. If you publicly state that you prefer Ludwigs you are not representing Gretsch and instead you have promoted a direct (and historical) rival.

You really don't understand what this is all about, do you? You are more than welcome to like more than one company's drums - that's fine - but now you're an artist for a company you have to keep that to yourself! I don't see Bermuda saying that he'd rather be playing Gretsch instead of Ludwig!

Ill take the Gretsch endorsement if you dont want it...

And I have no doubt that you would embrace it quite happily, hold to the contract and not publicly state that you prefer other drums!

Now you mention it, I'll take one too. I'll have to put my Tamburos and Pearls away and make sure that nobody can see the 'Guru' badge on my snare but I'll take it if it's going!

but as you see this guy who posted in my thread uses Tama with a Ludwig kit

The difference is he is not endorsed by Tama or Ludwig and he didn't start a thread about being endorsed by one company and saying he really liked something else. You aren't going to understand this, your feelings are hurt, and maybe you will sleep on this and realize the difference. I only hope the Gretsch endorsement lasts a long time and you find yourself very happy.

but as you see this guy who posted in my thread uses Tama with a Ludwig kit

The difference is he is not endorsed by Tama or Ludwig and he didn't start a thread about being endorsed by one company and saying he really liked something else. You aren't going to understand this, your feelings are hurt, and maybe you will sleep on this and realize the difference. I only hope the Gretsch endorsement lasts a long time and you find yourself very happy.

Are you a drummer? I'm a drummer and not an actor. The only person that said I settled and had a problem was the forum. I'm lucky to have gotten the deal I did with Gretsch.. my current kits which have done me no wrong are getting put in the closet. You all act like I've taken a step backwards.. those are your words. I just happen to play good drums and there are MANY good drum companies out there and Gretsch is one on them. Nowhere in the contract does it say I have to be an actor, salesman and a liar to play their drums. I don't even know why I'm even wasted my time replying to some idiotic comments on here. Some of you need to go practice more and become a working musician then you can use your endorsement knowledge on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back