My concert photography website...Let me know what you think

Mapex589

Silver Member
Hi, it's been a loooong time since I have posted. I am a concert photographer in St. Louis and a fellow drummer. I wanted to share my website with you. www.BackBeat-Photography.com . It features a lot of different genres and some drummer pics you might enjoy.

Attachments

• 072010_Mayhem Festival_1905.jpg
    072010_Mayhem Festival_1905.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Rush_082210_5282.jpg
    Rush_082210_5282.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Avenged Sevenfold20100814_1507.jpg
    Avenged Sevenfold20100814_1507.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC09930.jpg
    DSC09930.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 072010_Mayhem Festival_1766.jpg
    072010_Mayhem Festival_1766.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Avenged Sevenfold20100814_1627.jpg
    Avenged Sevenfold20100814_1627.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Avenged Sevenfold20100814_1260.jpg
    Avenged Sevenfold20100814_1260.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Very nice photos. Good luck with your photography and I hope you sell lots of your work.

Best

GJS

"F8 and be there."

Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed them. I feel very fortunate to be able to get so close to these artists. I love music and photography so I am one lucky dude!

Great pics. You captured some raw moments. Really good composition, lighting etc. Hard to get with the glare of the stage lights.

Thanks! Yes, concert photography is a bit challenging, I have been at it for a little over a year now and it has taken some trial an error and a lot of talking with other photographers. Obviously composition comes from the photographer but as far as the lighting goes it really boils down to having the right gear for low light no flash photography. I absolutely love it though! Thanks for checking it out!

Very, very cool stuff. Love the Rush stage set & how you've captured it. I need some band photos taking, but we're a bit too far away. Pity, you have a talent beyond drumming. Good luck!

Nice pics... Just outta curiousity who are the two besides Peart and Carey? That 1st guy is creepy lookin.

Thanks Keep It Simple, I wish you were closer too, I would've been happy to photograph your band. Fuo, the other two drummers are Ray Luzier (w/Korn but also played with Army Of Anyone and David Lee Roth) and Mike Portnoy (w/Avenged Sevenfold but up until recently was the drummer for Dream Theater).

those are great! i love the color and light. i did not recognize ray luzier in that first photo. that is a really freaky picture of him!

Yah. And I kinda though that other one was portnoy, but ride>head in that case... so I wasn't sure.

Chazz, Diaryairman - thanks guys. If I have time tonight I will add my favorite pic of Ray from that show. He is throwing his stick and the way it falls over his eyes is awesome. I'll add it to this thread, I think you'll like it. Thanks again!!!

Just wondering, have any of the drummers seen these pics of themselves. These would look good in the their concert programs.

TFitting, I don't think any of these drummers have seen these images but I have a lot of bands on my site so I know some of them have seen their pics. I just added a couple more pics including my favorite of Ray Luzier with the drum stick over his eyes.

that's a great shot! you must have a very fast camera to freeze that kind of action in a dark setting with no flash.

Thank you Dairyman! The camera definitely comes into play but the real trick is to have fast enough lenses to get those shots. Anything above an f/2.8 wont allow you get the shots in low light without a flash. First off the bands wont allow you to use flash (which makes sense) plus flash removes all of the color and makes the shots lose their pazzaz. I used a 105mm f2.8 lens to get that shot. Thanks again!

Beautiful pics. Do you use film or digital? What kind of cameras, lenses? BTW, I didn't know Tama made clear plexaglass shells.

Thank you Zickosdrummer. I shoot digital using a Sony Alpha DSLR-550. The 550 is a very low noise camera in low light up to ISO 1600. The lenses I shoot with are Tamron 70-310mm f/2.8, Sigma 105mm f/2.8/ Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and, 28mm f/2.8 and sometimes a sigma 18-55mm f/2.8. The pictures I posted here are either my 105mm 2.8 or the 70-310mm. I use the other lenses to get the singers and guitar/bass, etc. Drummers can be tough to get a good picture of because of distance and sometimes the kit gets in the way.

Superb photos mate

Man can't believe Starship have reformed?????

...Looking at your pictures makes me want to burn mine.

You have some great shots and it is obvious that you are using more than your eyes when you shoot.

A couple of weeks ago I was able to take some pictures at a Todd Sucherman clinic, then a Benny Greb clinic. I thought that I was the luckiest guy in the world. After checking out your work, I can live with being number two.

I wish you all the best and every success.

Barry

Back