New set for summer. Acrylic or Wood????

Joey,

I've followed your various drum threads and also listened to the clips of your playing that you posted. I'm trying to be helpful but I'll also be blunt. Your drums sound fine and at this point my advice is to focus on your playing. Try to channel all this excitement and enthusiasm into practicing. Here is what I think you should buy: A loud metronome like the Tama rhythm watch and practice with it every day. Save the money that you earn this summer for drum lessons.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but spending your time and money improving your playing will make you sound much better on a Gretsch Catalina then you would otherwise sound on a $3,000 kit.

Wayne

$2800 .... for a 4 piece kit. No. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.​
My Luddies (26, 13, 16, 18) were $1100. My Yamaha Recording Customs (22, 12, 13, 14 ... and snare) were $995. So that's $2095.​
Now, I just scored some RMV's (10, 12, 14), for $400. My total, $2495. That leaves me a balance of $305, which, I'm sure I can pick up an RMV kick drum for.​
So I've got 3 kits for the cost of your 1.​
If you want blue acrylic, get a used Ludwig. Blue and clear vistalite were the most common colors, so they're the most affordable now. A clean kick, rack and floor, will cost you less than a grand. Same with a nice wood kit.​

$2800 .... for a 4 piece kit. No. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.​
My Luddies (26, 13, 16, 18) were $1100. My Yamaha Recording Customs (22, 12, 13, 14 ... and snare) were $995. So that's $2095.​
Now, I just scored some RMV's (10, 12, 14), for $400. My total, $2495. That leaves me a balance of $305, which, I'm sure I can pick up an RMV kick drum for.​
So I've got 3 kits for the cost of your 1.​
If you want blue acrylic, get a used Ludwig. Blue and clear vistalite were the most common colors, so they're the most affordable now. A clean kick, rack and floor, will cost you less than a grand. Same with a nice wood kit.​

Where do I find one?!?!
If I went Vista, I would get an old 60's, or 70's. They aren't easy to find. What do you recommend?
I'm not totally sold though. The acrylic sounds good, but I will agree its overpriced. But it will be the kit that I want.

Where do I find one?!?!
If I went Vista, I would get an old 60's, or 70's. They aren't easy to find. What do you recommend?
I just went on eBay. I lost count after 15 sets. Watch this auction. See where it goes. http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Ludwig-Vis...Percussion&hash=item3cb4723440#ht_2132wt_1118
I'm not totally sold though. The acrylic sounds good, but I will agree its overpriced. But it will be the kit that I want.
I played Ludwig Vistalite for 25+ years. Yes, great sounding drums. And excellent stage drums. Because they look cool under stage lights.​
But those sizes you're looking at, brand new.....$2800.....when you try to sell that kit, you'll get maybe half that. But a vintage Ludwig kit, you sell it, in 5 or 10 years, you'll get all your money back out of it.​
And with the money saved, from not blowing "everything" on a new $2800 vistalite kit, go out and get a second kit (wood) to record with. Or just plain, to have....​

Great post, Al.

I was hired for my first wedding gig when I was 14. I played my Tama Rockstar DX's with my Zildjian Scimitar cymbals.

Although I upgraded cymbals over time, I'd guess I put 4-500 gigs on those Rockstars over 15 years and recorded 7 albums with them.

It was only after all that time that I finally figured out what I wanted in a kit and bought my keller maples, a used 7-piece kit for $1850 of which I only play 3 pieces now. I get healthy doses of compliments from studio and live sound engineers as well as other drummers who play kits that probably cost at least twice as much as mine.

BUT, I also did a coffeehouse gig a few months ago - my bass player brought the kick from his son's little Westbury kit (a 14"), I used my 70's Acrolite and a pair of old A hats I bought off craigslist for $110, there was dancing there too...

Joey, I love your enthusiasm for drums. I'm know I'm not the only one who sees a bit of themselves in the excited 15 year old kid who's got a fire lit under him looking to get that dream kit. But you have such an advantage over us old farts in your position, 'cause you have this great group of folks who have "been there, done that" who are offering you the best advice you'll ever get - focus on your playing, not the gear and listen to your ear.

As for your question though, wood, all the way.

Great post, Al.

I was hired for my first wedding gig when I was 14. I played my Tama Rockstar DX's with my Zildjian Scimitar cymbals.

Although I upgraded cymbals over time, I'd guess I put 4-500 gigs on those Rockstars over 15 years and recorded 7 albums with them.

It was only after all that time that I finally figured out what I wanted in a kit and bought my keller maples, a used 7-piece kit for $1850 of which I only play 3 pieces now. I get healthy doses of compliments from studio and live sound engineers as well as other drummers who play kits that probably cost at least twice as much as mine.

BUT, I also did a coffeehouse gig a few months ago - my bass player brought the kick from his son's little Westbury kit (a 14"), I used my 70's Acrolite and a pair of old A hats I bought off craigslist for $110, there was dancing there too...

Joey, I love your enthusiasm for drums. I'm know I'm not the only one who sees a bit of themselves in the excited 15 year old kid who's got a fire lit under him looking to get that dream kit. But you have such an advantage over us old farts in your position, 'cause you have this great group of folks who have "been there, done that" who are offering you the best advice you'll ever get - focus on your playing, not the gear and listen to your ear.

As for your question though, wood, all the way.

I just went on eBay. I lost count after 15 sets. Watch this auction. See where it goes. http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Ludwig-Vis...Percussion&hash=item3cb4723440#ht_2132wt_1118

I played Ludwig Vistalite for 25+ years. Yes, great sounding drums. And excellent stage drums. Because they look cool under stage lights.​
But those sizes you're looking at, brand new.....$2800.....when you try to sell that kit, you'll get maybe half that. But a vintage Ludwig kit, you sell it, in 5 or 10 years, you'll get all your money back out of it.​
And with the money saved, from not blowing "everything" on a new $2800 vistalite kit, go out and get a second kit (wood) to record with. Or just plain, to have....​

OK! When I do try and sell the kit, it will be in a LONG time. If I got a custom set, I wouldn't try and sell it 3 months later.

Words of wisdom that were passed down to me...
Don't buy a kit you haven't played... or at least one like it.
Don't buy something that you don't know if you even truly like it or not.
In turn, don't try to "keep up with the Joneses".

And at 15... save up your money! Get a checking account, put as much as you can into savings, start trying to establish some credit. Life is coming your way fast. From the sound of it, I don't think you understand the extent of that statement... But trust me on it. You've got a whole lifetime to buy other kits (and buy them at reasonable prices).

You just scared the crap out of me with the college remark.

If it scares the crap out of you rather than makes you excited, then you need to look into it further. Start looking at colleges now...trust. me. on. this.

Do you realize that I'm not going to be able to play my drums there?!?! I can't go home any play on weekends either!?!?!

If you truly want to, you'll find a way. But, if you plan on living in a dorm, you can't play your kit there, obviously. That's all the more reason to NOT buy another kit that you're just not going to be able to play in a few years. My suggestion: When you go to college, pack up your kit and take it with you, and hook up with other musicians. Chances are, SOMEONE will have a practice space where you'll be able to set them up and rehearse with the band (be sure to take them down and back to the dorm each time...you can't trust college kids). When you get OUT of college, and then get a job/career, and then get a house, THEN you can start looking at what kits are out there.

Here's a tip: take some drum lessons through the faculty for college credit at the college/university you go to. You *should* get a key to the practice rooms, and you could practice regularly that way.

I better get an E-kit!

Okay, c'mon! Now that's just silly...

If it scares the crap out of you rather than makes you excited, then you need to look into it further. Start looking at colleges now...trust. me. on. this.

If you truly want to, you'll find a way. But, if you plan on living in a dorm, you can't play your kit there, obviously. That's all the more reason to NOT buy another kit that you're just not going to be able to play in a few years. My suggestion: When you go to college, pack up your kit and take it with you, and hook up with other musicians. Chances are, SOMEONE will have a practice space where you'll be able to set them up and rehearse with the band (be sure to take them down and back to the dorm each time...you can't trust college kids). When you get OUT of college, and then get a job/career, and then get a house, THEN you can start looking at what kits are out there.

Here's a tip: take some drum lessons through the faculty for college credit at the college/university you go to. You *should* get a key to the practice rooms, and you could practice regularly that way.

Okay, c'mon! Now that's just silly...

NAILED IT! While I put down sticks for four years during college and played guitar, every band I was in found a place to play in the res halls, or some other building on campus. We made it WORK.

Music students do indeed get practice time at most schools.

I'll probably befriend someone who has their own house, and I'll set up there!
Sounds better than packing up the set and have it sit in my parents house.

Don't assume that you'll be able to. Explore all of your options. Also, be sure that you can get to your kit whenever you need to. There's nothing worse than agreeing to a gig, and then finding out that you can't get to your kit because the person that has the keys to the house it's in won't answer their phone...

There's nothing worse than agreeing to a gig, and then finding out that you can't get to your kit because the person that has the keys to the house it's in won't answer their phone...

And that WILL happen.

Remedy: 24 hr access, secure rental storage units.

A 10x10 is all you need, bigger is nicer, but it's cheap and better than nothing. A LOT better than relying on someone else as well.

I once had a whole band rehearsing in a 10x20. It was cold in winter, and hot in the summer, but we made it work. Carpet on the walls and floors and you're good to go.

Heaters, fans, and don't leave your cymbals.

Wouldn't want an Acrylic kit in the winter in there either, unless you are going to be in a year-round warm climate.

And that WILL happen.

Remedy: 24 hr access, secure rental storage units.

A 10x10 is all you need, bigger is nicer, but it's cheap and better than nothing. A LOT better than relying on someone else as well.

I once had a whole band rehearsing in a 10x20. It was cold in winter, and hot in the summer, but we made it work. Carpet on the walls and floors and you're good to go.

Heaters, fans, and don't leave your cymbals.

Wouldn't want an Acrylic kit in the winter in there either, unless you are going to be in a year-round warm climate.

I'm in south Florida, and the coldest it gets is around 50 degrees.

OK! When I do try and sell the kit, it will be in a LONG time. If I got a custom set, I wouldn't try and sell it 3 months later.
Re-read my post. Where did I say ... that you were gonna sell your kit in 3 months. I said "when you try to sell that kit, you'll get maybe half that."

I'm in south Florida, and the coldest it gets is around 50 degrees.

You are in West Central Florida, and you must not have been here a few weeks ago to help me scrape the frost off of my car windows. It was in the 30's for a few days and seems to be getting colder every year. Has to be the global warming. I am 15 minutes from you and this winter was cold.

December 2010 was the coldest December since record keeping began at most sites around Tampa Bay, according to the National Weather Service in Ruskin.

“A good portion of December 2010 was rather cool with temperatures averaging 7 to 11 degrees below normal for the month,” NWS said in a press release.

Joey, Joey, Joey, What are we going to do with you?
Just play the drums that you have and enjoy them!
There is no magic drum that is going to make you a great player.
Only you can make you a great player by practicing and perfecting.

Stop being such a gear nut and start being a player.
A good player can play almost any kit and make it all work.

Back