Travis Barker's NEW Solo!!!

Absolutely agreed on this.

I love aggressive drumming but cannot stand saccharine-sweet vocalists doing the cutesy punk routine - there's never been anything "punk" about that and it pretty much makes me want to vomit. Always hated that band despite that I like its drummer.

Travis hitting heads and cymbals hard enough to break them? Is that really the standard you want to use? Because if it is, then we can draw up very long lists of drummers who break things and stick to their genres that I suspect you might be into. We can start with Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins if you like.

Anyway, I'm neutral on the TB issue. Not my favorite but he's a good drummer and I suspect I'd like his drumming a lot more if his taste in music were closer to mine.

I love Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins but Taylor doesn't hit the cymbal too hard they'll break, I've seen John Tempesta hit harder and he said he hasn't broke any throughout his whole tour for the past few years. But yeah, I've seen videos of Travis and his cymbals are trashed, it's pretty bad that he just whales on the drums with no dynamic (Soulja Boy remix).

And again....so did Moon the loon. Why was it ok for him and not TB?

Come on mate. Construct a valid argument here.

So far all you've given me is that Travis Barker should change his playing style and broaden his horizons into other styles because YOU'D like him better. What kind of argument is that? If you really don't like him, turn him off....it's pretty simple.

If you're looking for well rounded players who can do just about everything and cover a range of styles then you shouldn't be looking at Barker in the first place......there's other guys to turn to for that. Vinnie and Gadd seem to have it well covered I would have thought.

What I'm meaning is if he played more genre's than just Hip-hop, military and Over-produced Rock he could be a far better drummer. Every time I hear him he uses sooooooo much power that there is no dynamic. Travis is a good drummer but he's VERY VERY overrated.

Fairs fair. Everyone has they're own opinions in the end :)

Travis is a genius.

In his own way, though.

Playing to a genre will garner fans of that genre. Being a pioneer very rarely satisfies what many players are looking for, which is fame; playing on bigger stages every tour. Mr. Barker plays in a way that he enjoys playing and that people who watch him enjoy watching. I think we would all enjoy being in some sort of situation that leads to us seeming like TB at least once or twice. I know sometimes I play in a way that makes me think "Maybe I should get tattoos all over my torso up to my neck." I can't blame myself or anything, it's just what the music calls for.

Even Travis Barker's playing can be appropriate.

Did anyone else feel bad for that ride when he played it? Never seen a ride shake around like the one in that video did... if he plays that kit that hard, then it's easy to see why some people don't respect him. After a certain point, that insanely-loud dynamic gets overpowering to the point that it's hard to enjoy listening to it.

I've always thought of drummers as having a "bag of tricks" (certain rudiments / signature nuances that drummers use a lot in their playing, etc.) that they reach in and pull out when they perform. Even if Travis is famous and makes a perfect match between how / what he plays and the audience he plays to (which I find admirable), I find it hard to like his playing when his "bag of tricks" is so damn small...

This is kind of like when I saw Motley Crue and I was holding back the vomit during Tommy Lee's "solo". He played the same simple stuff as hard as possible with really lame backing tracks. The whole thing reeked of a self-aggrandizing ego trip and I found none of it impressive.

Oh wait, I was wrong. This is EXACTLY like that.

Did anyone else feel bad for that ride when he played it? Never seen a ride shake around like the one in that video did... if he plays that kit that hard, then it's easy to see why some people don't respect him. After a certain point, that insanely-loud dynamic gets overpowering to the point that it's hard to enjoy listening to it.
I cringed every time he hit the cymbals, because of the power. I think he is a pretty average drummer but he is popular and no one can change that. I feel the same way about Aaron Gillespie, hugely over-rated but we can't change anything about that, If you don't like the drummer, don't listen.

Who cares?

If he wants to break and bash his gear and all the little kiddo's go ooh-ahh about it
so what?

It's just like the fact that any given moment if you check out the who's online
deal and see 50% of the guests are dialed into the Joey Jordison thread...
sad? yeah...

but who am I or anyone else to dis his thing - he's out there doing it
and having fun in the process and making a living at it...

all positives in my book even though I'm not a blink fan.

I've seen one solo of his that I was impressed with. EVERYTHING else, all the solo's, hip hop remixes (with the pitch blacks), and even the drumming on Blink songs have heard has left me very underwhelmed.

i dont ever think ive ever seen a rack tom that small..... i have no problem with travis....i think hes good at what he does (as limited as that may be), but it seems the kits he has are totally based on look. long skinny kick, tiny rack tom, makes no sense to me.

littleredguitars2 on youtube seems to sum up the bad part of his fan base. Kinda sad.

Or he is a troll.

Last edited:
So solos have backing tracks now?

Not gonna comment on the musicality of that (afraid of getting creamed here), but when did the word "solo" stop meaning "alone?"

Just askin'.

So solos have backing tracks now?

Not gonna comment on the musicality of that (afraid of getting creamed here), but when did the word "solo" stop meaning "alone?"

Just askin'.

Decades and decades at least. Most of what I'd listen to - in jazz, rock, metal and so on that people term "solos" have accompaniment.

Decades and decades at least. Most of what I'd listen to - in jazz, rock, metal and so on that people term "solos" have accompaniment.
As in Miles and Dizzy and Cannonball and Trane et al having the rhythm section accompany them during their "solos?"

Fair enough. Wonder what old-time critic decided those were solos, and when that word started being used? (I'm guessing during the rise of Dixieland, if not even earlier.)

But on that score I've always thought that jazz drummers should have the same kind of solo. As in, Ensemble, Boss Horn Player, Second Horn Player, Piano Player, Drummer (with the rest of the rhythm section comping).

I'd rather listen to a solo by a melodic drummer like Joe Morello than most bass players' solos. But for me, "melodic" would be the key. Even Buddy Rich got tiresome once you'd heard all his tricks.

Never heard anyone bitch about him the way they do about Travis Barker though. Gene Krupa, OTOH, took this same kind of heat. And so, as I recall, did Moonie.

"I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name right."

This thread helps make Mr. Barker exactly the winner he wants to be. So I think we should all take a bow.

Nothing new, sounds like any other solo or thing he does. I personally think Travis is overrated and younger kids see him as "the best drummer ever" because he hits hard and plays tricky stuff which sounds unplayable to them or they just jump on the bandwagon with everyone else who thinks he's amazing.

+1 Ho Hum.

GJS

Back