Anyone else experience..."the bum out" with gear you liked?

I'm kinda bummed out with my Pearl boom stands. The wingnut doesn't spin off as quick an easy as my old SP wingnuts on the SP stand and the cymbal arm I use for my splash. The SP's are great! You twist and one good spin and it unloosens itself all the way, then I just pull it off. Easy as pie. But those Pearl wingnuts don't spin as good, and if I overspin it, then it will fly off onto the ground. So I have to twist and twist and twist that thing by hand for the last few threads.

Bums me out!

I have used the exact same drum set and cymbals for the past year, and almost daily i want to replace something. For instance, I have great sounding 14" hi hats that can do anything--but then I think maybe I should try 15" hats so I don't have to reach for them as much. Same story with my snare. It's a nice 13x6.5 yamaha musashi. It sounds great, but My gear lust argues that I want a more traditional 14" snare in natural laquer instead of a black stain. Hence, for me it isn't even about finding a good sound, it's just getting tired of playing the same drum/cymbal.

I had my heart all set on a specific ride, listened to every video online I could find, thought I'd love it... When I finally got to see/whack the cymbal I thought I wanted, I heard some dirty overtones that were really not my bag. Back to the drawing board. I'll never trust online cymbal videos again. I need to play a cymbal to buy it, I don't think I'll be able to get anything online.

This.

I've listened to loads of samples of gear online and they all LIE!

I think it was a Sabian 19AAXtreme china I listened to online, sounded great. I broke my china and needed it replaced that night so I went to the drum centre, it sounded great in the shop too then, next to the rest of my cymbals it sounded weak. Calling 'xtreme' seemed very misleading.
Got an Istanbul one after that and fell in love!

I'm the complete opposite, maybe the bum in? hmmmm, no.*

I've owned a Mapex QR for about 6-7 years now, when I first bought it, it was my second kit and I loved the sound of it, even though I knew there was other sounds out there that I desired more, I was content with the QR. As the years went on and my teacher got a Masters (from an Export) I started to dislike (if you will) the sound of the QRs, I got different heads for them, which saw me change from Remo to Evans, it made them sound different and interesting, now.. probably within the last year, I've come to love the sound they make, it really hasn't changed that much, I've changed, my mindset, outlook, everything, I now see a purpose for the QR drums, I now see every drum in a different light, I don't see them as bad/good, professional/novice, etc.. I see them all being able to achieve a different sound. I guess this has come from the big electronic movement, something that I've dove head first into. Opens your ears and more importantly, your mind. For me, there is no such thing as bad sounds and good sounds, there just different sounds and they'll do something different for every individual.

I've now gone out and ordered a DW kit, I really wanted a deep and loud sound, so I went to my local store actually intending to look at a Mahogany Pearl Masters, which they said where near impossible to find in Australia... so I looked at the Mahogany/Maple DW kit (which one of the store clerks had to bring in) a 24x20 bass drum, lol. That thing rumbled more than an elephants fart. But what really sold me on the drums was there versatility to be able to cover a range of sounds. Now when I go to pick it up i'll be looking at some cymbals, who knows what I'll walk out with, the drum shops range is massive, full Zildjian, Paiste and Meinl lines.

Bottom line of the story, no equipment has ever let me down, it's opened my mind.

My biggest "bum out" experience was with Paiste Giant Beat hi-hats (14"). I had GB multis that I loved and could not wait to get the hi-hats. Every sound clip I heard was awesome - exactly what I was looking for in hi-hats. Finally, got a pair after saving up for them a while and ended up disappointed. The open hi-hat sound was great but playing them closed and the chick sounded very dull.

There are other smaller disappointments like the Kickport, which made no difference that I could hear or feel in my bass drum (just my opinion, my ears).

Also, after having good experiences with several different Aquarian heads, I was disappointed with clear Performance II tom heads. They are advertised to give a fat, low punch with loose tunings, but I got cardboard tone no matter how I tuned them. Small potatoes compared to wanting a Yamaha RC for years and then not falling in love with them, but anyway...

Back