Mapex Saturn Delamination ?? WTF??

I would use your video and contact Mapex HQ pronto. Mapex is always touting how road tough their gear is; in particular, Mapex had a promo just two or so years ago with some drum shops in Tennessee to tout how the Saturn and other kits could endure massive usage in Nashville or Memphis clubs. Your evidence clearly shows this is not the case--or at the least that your kit was a lemon or had some kind of flaw.

I hope Mapex addresses this matter favorably.

I already email Mapexwith the video, and its Yorkville who have to deal with me and them... so...and the funnything (not really) is that i use this kit only in the studio...i use a cheaper one for gigging.

That de-lamination is the most severe I've seen on a kit that's clearly been used lightly & stored in a suitable environment. De-lamination is more likely on a shell that uses different wood species bonded over a large surface area, but modern ply shells are so processed, that such an event is very rare. The big advantage of modern ply shells is their ability to withstand significant environmental change & rough handling, so even if conditions were less than ideal, this still shouldn't happen.

What's interesting me, is why it would take so long for this fault to occur. If de-lamination is due to a manufacturing defect, it would normally appear quite quickly. My personal opinion is the shells are beyond repair. Sure, you can glue & clamp them, but some of the structural integrity has been compromised. Difficult to say without close inspection, but it looks like the inner ply has shrunk rapidly.

Good luck finding a resolution.

Hmmm, was just thinking a little involvement from sticks right now couldn't hurt things.

is true, as he has his massive Mapex kit in a basement, however, he, and is alter ego have been quiet for a while.

Was Jag banned as well? That's his new alias. Laying very low.

That is very serious delamination. I'm surprised because I see Mapex as a company with good quality control standards - even when this kit was made. I hope it gets sorted out for you.

I'm sorry to see your drums delaminate like that. :(

Did you notice any significant sound changes in your drum during that one and a half year time period when you believe the delamination occured? I would think damage that severe would have compromised the drums' sound.

I hope Mapex replaces your shells; this must be a manufacturing problem.

That de-lamination is the most severe I've seen on a kit that's clearly been used lightly & stored in a suitable environment. De-lamination is more likely on a shell that uses different wood species bonded over a large surface area, but modern ply shells are so processed, that such an event is very rare. The big advantage of modern ply shells is their ability to withstand significant environmental change & rough handling, so even if conditions were less than ideal, this still shouldn't happen.

What's interesting me, is why it would take so long for this fault to occur. If de-lamination is due to a manufacturing defect, it would normally appear quite quickly. My personal opinion is the shells are beyond repair. Sure, you can glue & clamp them, but some of the structural integrity has been compromised. Difficult to say without close inspection, but it looks like the inner ply has shrunk rapidly.

Good luck finding a resolution.

Strangely, I was thinking the same thing Andy. When I read the thread, before watching the video, I was convinced that it would be a dampness issue, but in looking at the video and reading your comments, it almost seems that they may have been in too dry an environment and with the inside of the shell's not being sealed in any way, causing the inner ply to dry excessively and shrink away from the rest of the shell.

I'm sorry to see your drums delaminate like that. :(

Did you notice any significant sound changes in your drum during that one and a half year time period when you believe the delamination occured? I would think damage that severe would have compromised the drums' sound.

I hope Mapex replaces your shells; this must be a manufacturing problem.

the only thing i notice its that it was really tough to tune those drums... no buzz sound, etc....i really have a hard time to tune this drums arghhh

Strangely, I was thinking the same thing Andy. When I read the thread, before watching the video, I was convinced that it would be a dampness issue, but in looking at the video and reading your comments, it almost seems that they may have been in too dry an environment and with the inside of the shell's not being sealed in any way, causing the inner ply to dry excessively and shrink away from the rest of the shell.

what i found really strange is that not the entire kit was delaminating... how to explain that outside manufacture problem...???

in my studio theres another Mapex kit who is perfectly correct, and i have 2 PRS guitar who are perfectly correct too...

Maybe a batch of inner ply wood used by Mapex in their manufacturing plant weren't already dry enough (higher % of water) and then in an controlled environment those plies dried more and shrinked on the shell ???

Maybe a batch of inner ply wood used by Mapex in their manufacturing plant weren't already dry enough (higher % of water) and then in an controlled environment those plies dried more and shrinked on the shell ???

Maybe, who know?? but they wont let us know :p

Back