6'' Toms

Anybody know what companies make 6'' toms for drumsets? I've got a Mapex Pro-M kit, but unfortunately, Mapex doesn't make a 6'' drum and there are rumors of them discontinuing the Pro-M line completely. I saw a kit on this forum where a guy had made one out of the shot drum from a marching tenor set, though I don't have the tools to create a bearing edge for a bottom head. I could get a double-headed orchestral tom, but ideally I'd like something designed for a drumset, and somewhat close to my Pro-M. Anyone out there using a 6 who could tell me where they got it?

Also, I had an idea of putting legs on an old 20'' bass to make sort of a low floor tom out of it. Has anyone done a similar conversion, and did it work?

Parasprinter---

Most custom boutique drum companies can make you a 6" tom. Pearl makes them but they don't have an Optimount that will fit, so you have to use the old telescoping hardware that penetrates the shell. I had a 6" when I was with Ayotte and I have a 6" Rosewood Sonor Phonic on my old Rosewood kit.

As far as the 20" goes, I hoisted my 20" Pearl Masterworks bass drum up on a two armed tom stand (as I have the tom mounts in the bass drum to accept the arms) and it was a KILLER gong drum. You can check out some of the clips from the DVD here:

http://www.altitudedigital.com/sucherman-moreclips.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers-
Todd

Parasprinter---

Most custom boutique drum companies can make you a 6" tom. Pearl makes them but they don't have an Optimount that will fit, so you have to use the old telescoping hardware that penetrates the shell. I had a 6" when I was with Ayotte and I have a 6" Rosewood Sonor Phonic on my old Rosewood kit.

As far as the 20" goes, I hoisted my 20" Pearl Masterworks bass drum up on a two armed tom stand (as I have the tom mounts in the bass drum to accept the arms) and it was a KILLER gong drum. You can check out some of the clips from the DVD here:

http://www.altitudedigital.com/sucherman-moreclips.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers-
Todd

wow dude that's a really good set of videos you have there, i agree with the idea of making a gong drum, hey maybe you could do both and just end up with a huge set! You can order SJC drums in 6". They are quite expensive though.

Thanks for your help everybody! What do you guys mean by a gong drum? That's just a single-headed bass, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

eddiehimself--

Thanks, man. The DVD is over 5 hours shot in HD. 8 songs, bunch of lessons, solos, stories, etc. Hope you consider checking it out.

Parasprinter--

The gong drum is traditionally a single headed bass drum. My 20" I used for the DVD was a double headed traditional bass drum I hoisted up on the tom stand in the "gong drum position." Here's a pic (if it works) of my 20" single headed gong drum from my live rig.

Thanks again, guys. Good luck with the drum add ons!

Todd Sucherman

Attachments

• Masterworks.jpg
    Masterworks.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 477
wow dude that's a really good set of videos you have there, i agree with the idea of making a gong drum, hey maybe you could do both and just end up with a huge set! You can order SJC drums in 6". They are quite expensive though.

1. I am sure that by now, Todd is in a position to simply say "Oh Pearl boy... fashion me a gong drum...and be quick about it..." and it will happen.

2. DIY gong drums are easy to make, it's just like making a single-headed kick on a couple of tom stands. I did it once. Ye olde Tama gong drums of yore used a drumhead that was an inch or two larger than the shell.

3. My new gong drum will be somewhat simpler and more practical. I call it a Mandala pad. ;)

Last edited:
1. I am sure that by now, Todd is in a position to simply say "Oh Pearl boy... fashion me a gong drum...and be quick about it..." and it will happen.

2. DIY gong drums are easy to make, it's just like making a single-headed kick on a couple of tom stands. I did it once. Ye olde Tama gong drums of yore used a drumhead that was an inch or two larger than the shell.

3. My new gong drum will be somewhat simpler and more practical. I call it a Mandala pad. ;)

to be fair i was on about the TS here. And yes i think it probably would be better to make one out of a kick, but i was talking about the 6 inch tom here.

to be fair i was on about the TS here. And yes i think it probably would be better to make one out of a kick, but i was talking about the 6 inch tom here.

If Mapex won't special order one, any custom drum shop can. It would need (as stated) a direct mount bracket. The only issue would be for it to match.

The cheapest soloution for $150 or less, would be the Peace high pitched octaban set of two 6x6 and 6x8 (iirc) with stand.

Ludwig used to make 6" toms, don't know if they still do. In addition to the peace octobans, ddrum makes a 6x6 and 6x8 set. Ludwig also makes actual 20" floor toms with a triple flanged rim (not a bass drum hoop). I also saw recently a Tama superstar 20" tom on ebay. I would just buy that keller shell though and find the matching wrap and matching aftermarket hardware.

buy a mapex tom off ebay to score yourself the lugs, then get a custom builder (eg someone at ghostnote.net) to finish a 6" keller shell so it matches. You're probably going to struggle to get a suspension mount to fit, so you might just have to run an old-school mount. Slap some ambassadors on it and you're set!

Back