Wikidrummers

Very interesting !

And the drums also sound different in my mind as I imagine them being played by me.........

That was pretty cool. The environment really does come into play more than you think.

This is why recording studios were so important before the days of triggers and drum machines. You used the room to your advantage to get the drum sound you were looking for. Anybody who has heard "when the levee breaks" knows how important the right room is to a drum sound.

I think this illustrates the "tune for the room" principle ,rather graphicly.Acoustics have a great deal to do with the sound of a drum.Not all environments, benefit different drums equally.Some favor the snare,some the bass drum(I still refuse to call it a kick..ugh).some the cymbals,and some favor all.

This was a lesson in "learning how to tune,with out an app or bot...101"

Thanks for posting.

Steve B

I think this illustrates the "tune for the room" principle ,rather graphicly.Acoustics have a great deal to do with the sound of a drum.Not all environments, benefit different drums equally.Some favor the snare,some the bass drum(I still refuse to call it a kick..ugh).some the cymbals,and some favor all.

This was a lesson in "learning how to tune,with out an app or bot...101"

Thanks for posting.

Steve B

This.

I think that was an excellent video, put together in a really neat kind of way.

Thanks for posting.

This is why recording studios were so important before the days of triggers and drum machines. You used the room to your advantage to get the drum sound you were looking for. Anybody who has heard "when the levee breaks" knows how important the right room is to a drum sound.

Wasn't that the track where Bonham set up in the bottom of an elevator shaft and mics were placed at floors 1, 2, and 3?

Wasn't that the track where Bonham set up in the bottom of an elevator shaft and mics were placed at floors 1, 2, and 3?

They recorded it at Headley Grange, a 3 story stone building in England... Bonham set up under a stairwell on the first floor, then they put the mics on the third floor to capture the sound. Then in the studio, they slowed the drum track down and put the rest over top of it... To the best of my knowledge, they didn't play the song live for these reasons....

They recorded it at Headley Grange, a 3 story stone building in England... Bonham set up under a stairwell on the first floor, then they put the mics on the third floor to capture the sound. Then in the studio, they slowed the drum track down and put the rest over top of it... To the best of my knowledge, they didn't play the song live for these reasons....

Although, it was also heavily processed too. Too often that aspect gets neglected when people refer to the drum sounds on that track. The two room mics on different levels played a part in creating the overall effect, sure. But as well as that, the signal was compressed and run through one of Pages' echo effect units as it was recorded too. So it's not a natural drum sound we're hearing by any measure. It's worth remembering I reckon, 'cos it does seem to get omitted from many discussions on the topic. The romanticism of the drums in the stairwell seems to take a front seat to the fact that there was some pretty crafty studio trickery going on too.

How a drum sounds based on where it's played.

Here is something you may find interesting...or not. A video of how a drum sounds based on where it's played. Not a surprise but kind of cool. Check it out here.

Disclaimer: I nor do any of my family members work for the drum company for the drums that can be seen in the video. I have never played drums from that particular manufacturer. I did spend some time in the neonatal ward when I was a wee baby.

Re: How a drum sounds based on where it's played.

Here is something you may find interesting...or not. A video of how a drum sounds based on where it's played. Not a surprise but kind of cool. Check it out here.

Well, yeah, it is interesting - but this is the same video as in the original post :)

poika,
check out the post title - do you notice that it's different than the title from the original post in the thread? That's because NC68 first created the post in a new thread (not being aware of this existing one) and I moved his post here. Any more questions? ;-)
As you know, sometimes it happens that people create multiple posts on the same topic - separately, not knowing that this is already being discussed on the forum.

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought it was an elevator shaft, but a stairwell is pretty similar. Heard the story a looooooong time ago.

Watching this video a couple of times, I think much of it is production trickery. That is, he played in front of a green screen, superimposed himself on several backgrounds and tied that to various reverb programs. The jumping back and forth in the car park in particular looks artificial.

Net effect is the same though. Whether you actually play in those spaces or use impulse responses of the places. The sound changes.

poika,
check out the post title - do you notice that it's different than the title from the original post in the thread? That's because NC68 first created the post in a new thread (not being aware of this existing one) and I moved his post here. Any more questions? ;-)
As you know, sometimes it happens that people create multiple posts on the same topic - separately, not knowing that this is already being discussed on the forum.

Ah, yes, I stand corrected :)
Didn't notice the title.

Aeolian, here's the making of video. Definitely not green screen.
http://www.wikidrummers.com/making-of-the-wikidrummer/

Looks like this video has been posted in a bunch of places. The idea that drums (any acoustic instrument, really) sound different in different environments isn't exactly new, but I think that these guys did a great job illustrating the point in a really creative way.

Back