My 6 Year Old And Drums? / Drum Kit under $140?

Triple B, forget my prior suggestion, now I suggest buying the drums new, from a store that has a 30 day return policy. That way, if it doesn't work out, you're safe. Just keep it in good shape. I guess I would recommend a Sonor Safari bop kit (it's small sized, will fit your son) Nice kit, good price, highly recommended here. The breakbeat set is the only other one I'd recommend. But yea, 30 day return policy and you should be good to go.

Triple B, forget my prior suggestion, now I suggest buying the drums new, from a store that has a 30 day return policy. That way, if it doesn't work out, you're safe. Just keep it in good shape. I guess I would recommend a Sonor Safari bop kit (it's small sized, will fit your son) Nice kit, good price, highly recommended here. The breakbeat set is the only other one I'd recommend. But yea, 30 day return policy and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the recommendations....I'll check into those!!!

Given the fact that as you say,his interests tend to wander,then just a snare,or maybe a snare,bass drum and a hi hat and cymbal would be enough to start him off.You could even rent a kit for say 2 weeks,to see if he likes it.That way,you could more accurately gauge his interest,without the 3-500 dollar investment.

I'm curious,did you invest in lots of sporting gear and a keyboard,when he expressed interest in those areas?I understand ,you know your son way better than we do,so you not wanting to make a 500 dollar investment make perfect sense.

A great start would be a practice pad,uded Ludwig acrolite snare drum and stand,which can be had for under 100.There are excellent quality drums,and the best part is,you can sell it,for what you paid for it used.

Steve B

Thank you very much for all the advice.

Most of the sports were pretty cheap...under $60 or so. The expensive one was lacrosse costing about $220 total. He played it for a season and then decided it wasn't for him. I will say, I loved seeing him out there and feel it was well worth the money. Heck the only game they won was the one where he played goalie (at age 5) so it was definitely money well spent.

Again, thanks for everyone's help so far!!!

TripleB

I got a Sonor Safari for my 6-year-old, and it's perfect. A bit more expensive, but it does have good resale value. I'm told, for example, that they're very popular with the Berklee students.

So excited....I'm a 7th grade Math teacher and the band director at my school found a snare drum that isn't being used so he's going to let my son borrow it until I can determine if my 6 year old has a true interest in playing the drums!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, I appreciate each of you taking the time to respond to my post....the help you have given has been fantastic!

TripleB

Hi there,

Looks like your Son is doing very well. I would suggest that he go to a recommended professional tutor first, one that encourages children of his age before technical excellence. Make drumming FUN for him now and he will thank you for it later.

Technique is great and can stave off wrist and foot problems, but they can be gradually be introduced over time.

I have written a complimentary download course called Britchops that can help his basic understanding of drum music and styles. But a personal tutor is his best start.

All the best and a Very Merry Christmas to you.

TJ

www.britchops.co.uk

If youre around Cleveland, OH...I have a kit to give you. No charge.

F

TripleB - That's great you've been able borrowing a snare!
When I started playing I held off on the equipment for a bit, until I was sure I was going to continue. I played around with different practice setups with objects from around the house. Maybe that would be fun for your son to do?
Here's an example:
home-setup1.jpg

I'm glad you're going to keep everyone posted. The way that kids learn is inspiring to me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

For anyone else thinking of a first kit (for a child or for themselves) I'd like to echo tamadrm's suggestion about a rental. I'm in my 30s and rented first before purchasing since I was too new at playing to know what I was looking for in a drum set. It cost me about 40$ for the month, and by the end of that month I was sure that I actually wanted drums and also had a better feel for what I wanted in my kit.

Larry's suggestion about buying new with a 30 day return policy would have worked for me too.

bigianw - Animal has always been my favourite muppet, even before I started playing. Love the decal on your daughter's bass drum.

Last edited:
Guess what I woke up to this morning? Tap....Tap.Tap.....Tap.....Tap.Tap.....Tap.....Tap.Tap, etc.

I'd say he's pretty excited about the snare drum I was able to borrow!!!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

TripleB

Back