Beware of Mr. Baker

How bad-assed is Johnny Rotten in that throwback Detroit Stars jersey from the old Negro leagues?

I do want to see this. After the Steve Gadd documentary, this is next on my must-see drummer documentary list.

I organised a clinic with Jon Hiseman back in 1985. I even jammed with him for a while after the clinic. I found him to be both extremely personable & a highly skilled musician. Baker's the w&^%^er!

I can't help but be saddened watching who Baker is now. It's more of an overall view than drummer specific. I'm sure it's the sum of all of the things he chose to do in his life.

Kind of like watching the Chet Baker documentary.

Probably won't see the film.

Jim

Whoa. Well...it's certainly keeping the image of drummers as complete madmen going strong...

I can't help but be saddened watching who Baker is now.

Same here. There seemed an air of unhappiness around him - and the whole interview, for that matter. Ginger feels he's been wronged in life - very quick to judge and blame.

I can see why Johnny Rotten would like him because he's just as judgemental, but he wears it a lot more lightly. I wish Ginger would let go of whatever it is. I've long been a fan and he seems pretty miserable for someone who's enjoyed the incredibly rare thrill and opportunity of being a star member of a legendary band.

Accept whatever it is, move on, occasionally pause to lick wounds ... from experience I find it's the kindest way to deal with loss (kindest to yourself and anyone around you).

Buddy of mine just saw it yesterday, said it was awesome.​

Beware of Mr.Baker

Just watched this last night. I am still taking it all in. The man is an enigma to say the least.

Anyone else checked this documentary out yet? I am probably coming to the discussion a bit late. Its worth it alone for some of the footage of him playing with other legends.

I can't understand the mentality of anyone who would go intentionally through life being a miserable b'stard, when the alternative is so much better.

(even if we all feel a bit miserable on occasion)

I can't understand the mentality of anyone who would go intentionally through life being a miserable b'stard, when the alternative is so much better.

(even if we all feel a bit miserable on occasion)

If you read his book, 'Ginger Baker Hellraiser', its obvious. Drugs and substance abuse corrupted much of his already abrasive, egotistical and on-the-edge personality to start. To me, he came off as a very, very self-centered egotistical pr*ck, despite the fact that he does not mean to be at all.

I have to admit I didn't know much about his background, so when it got to the part of the film and his life where he took on some jazz greats in drum battles I was pretty blown away.

I did see it and would recommend it. It's interesting and entertaining. But I have to say that it's hard to watch at times. Someone used the word "abrasive" to describe him, and I can't think of a better one.

Great thread revive here, I caught this on TV the other day and decided to watch it after reading about it here.

Basically the story of Baker's life goes as such: Baker was in a band with so-and-so. He was an a**hole and they kicked him out. Then he was in a band with so-and-so. He was an a**hole and they threw him out. Fast forward to today where some hipster makes a movie about him as a bitter old man living in Africa.

8mile, tell me more about this Gadd documentary.

Back