Cleaning Bronze Pearl Sensitone

jonoori

Hi everyone,

I've done some searching on here and I can't seem to find anything about this specific problem, so I was hoping someone might be able to recommend something. I have a Pearl Sensitone snare that, pretty early on after getting it (about 10 years ago) started to pit or rust or oxidize or something. It doesn't effect the way the drum sounds and I don't really mind it all that much, but it would be nice to figure out how to clean it.

Attached below is a photo..

484568_10100553445437890_1335263597_n.jpg

I've seen stuff recommended on here like vinegar, and then I've seen other people say it might be too harsh. If there's nothing that can be done about this, oh well. I wasn't planning on selling this one.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,026
example... here's a very small area that won't be visible.. should i just strip the drum and do it all this way? is that they only way to get it even-looking again?

photo (1).JPG

A lot of brass,copper and bronze drums that aren't plated,are usually given a clear lacquer or poly coating to keep them looking shiny.If you want to polish that drum,you'll probably have to chemically strip the lacuqer coating,then polish it,clean it,and then re-coat it,or it will just oxidize again.

The spot where its oxidized,is where some of the coating wore off.Flitz,Mothers,or any good metal polish will do.If you want a mirror shine,use a felt polishing wheel,and different grades of polishing compound,aka jewlers rouge,,and NO abrasives.

This is a job that takes a little time to do right,so if you lack patience,just leave it alone....it gives the drum character.

Steve B

I appreciate your help, Steve. The Flitz has actually done fine thus far getting the stuff off. It takes a lot of time, you're right, but at this point I've got about half of it done.

What can I recoat this with? Again, I appreciate your time.

I have a discontinued brass 13" Sensitone with the same problem. So far I haven't seen anyone restore their brass snare without compromising the glossy finish. For now I'm leaving it as is. Maybe I can get it professionally done.

to elaborate - the entire drum has now gotten the Flitz treatment by hand, alternating with a towel with flitz and a dry towel rubbing off the excess. It has taken hours and isn't absolutely perfect all the way around but it's shining and the unsightly oxidation marks are gone.

what would you recommend putting on as a clear coat? preferably something i can do by hand, i'm in my new york city apartment

You might try Paiste cymbal protector, you will have to keep re-applying it every few months or so, if not you will need to apply a lacquer clear coat.

If I can help it, I'd like to do something more permanent. So i assume that's a laquer. Anyone else have experience actually doing this? What brand for a clear coat would you recommend?

If I can help it, I'd like to do something more permanent. So i assume that's a laquer. Anyone else have experience actually doing this? What brand for a clear coat would you recommend?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=166

You will need to remove all the hard wear and have a place with proper ventilation watch out for over spray. Apply several thin coats instead of one thick one to avoid runs, just make sure the last coat it thicker and it should look uniformly "wet". allow adequate drying time before you re,assemble. You know the cymbal protector might last a year or more before you have to re-apply, it depends on how much you handle it.

That Rustolium should do the job,or a few light coats of clear lacquer.No particular brand,as long as it's not a satin finish.Make sure you clean the shell before spraying it,or the clear will not adhere properly,and you'll just have a mess on your hands.Dawn dish detergent works great,just rinse and dry thoroughly.I would also wear gloves,in order to avoid getting fingerprints,sweat,and oils on the shell.The more you pay attention to the prep work,the better the end result will be.

If you're in a small apartment,get yourself a large cardboard box to use as a makeshift spray booth,and use cheap wire hangers to suspend the shell,so you can coat it evenly.Good luck.

Steve B

I actually have a back patio. Sprayed today, looked good at first but dried a little too thick looking (at least it's even). Doesn't really look like the correct finish. I think the cymbal stuff probably would've been a better call after all. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment... what's the best way to remove the lacquer?

I've had really good luck with Meguiar's for a finish coat. It's an automotive cleaner and wax. After you buff it the first time it looks great. Just re-buff as time goes on and the shine comes right back. Great stuff.

Back