Over exuberance - a time & a place?

Andy

Honorary Member
I'm usually fairly measured in my approach, but I'll set the scene re: yesterday's Sunday afternoon (4:00 - 6:00) gig in a very compact city centre bar. For a band like Fired Up, that's a real squeeze (so yes, I took a 6 piece, lol!!!). It's our second time there, it's a cool "up close & personal" vibe, & we pack the venue.

Anyhow, the place is bouncing, & after a few excitement / audience fuelled unplanned song arrangement deviations from the singer, the improv started to flow. I found myself slipping into hero / stadium fill / over the top ending mode, & the audience were lapping it up! It's not normal me, but this seemed to be the right time & place, even though I find it musically cringeworthy.

Video evidence of crimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Z-z5qkkV0&feature=youtu.be
Camera is sitting on top of the bass cab.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guilty of the crime as charged, but that's what it's all about. I am so jealous of the fun you're having. You played well, the audience loved it, and everyone is having fun so don't go getting all academic on us. I say good job!

Definitely a time and place! Nicely done.

I was guilty of over-exuberance just last night at band practice. I was egged on a bit by the guitar player, but in hindsight, it was not the right time and place. If I had it to do over again, I'd do it differently. I just wasn't at my best. Luckily, it was only band practice.

Thoughts? Gosh, I wish I had drums like that. :p Nicely done, definitely higher energy than I was expecting for Rockin' in the Free World.

Guilty of the crime as charged, but that's what it's all about. I am so jealous of the fun you're having. You played well, the audience loved it, and everyone is having fun so don't go getting all academic on us. I say good job!
Thanks! Glad I'm not the only one to occasionally succumb to this affront to good music ;)

Actually, it's been a long time since I did that hand crossover stuff (I mean, really, where are you ever going to use that?), so I'm surprised is came off reasonably well.

Interacting with an audience is what a live show is all about.
True :)

I was guilty of over-exuberance just last night at band practice. I was egged on a bit by the guitar player, but in hindsight, it was not the right time and place. If I had it to do over again, I'd do it differently. I just wasn't at my best. Luckily, it was only band practice.
I do occasionally stretch out at band rehearsal if it's "in the moment", but almost never at a gig (with the possible exception of a planned big ending).

Thoughts? Gosh, I wish I had drums like that. :p Nicely done, definitely higher energy than I was expecting for Rockin' in the Free World.
We do that song as a 2nd or 3rd encore, never in the set, & It's always a higher energy version :)

Excellent! The energetic Crazy Horse would be Proud!
Thanks, but still feeling guilty today.

Not over exuberant at all! That was some good, energized drumming, perfectly appropriate to what the rest of the band was doing.

good job!

GeeDeeEmm

You pushed it just the right amount. It was not too fast or rushed, I thought it was totally appropriate for the mood.

Not over exuberant at all! That was some good, energized drumming, perfectly appropriate to what the rest of the band was doing.

good job!

GeeDeeEmm

You pushed it just the right amount. It was not too fast or rushed, I thought it was totally appropriate for the mood.
Really guys? - wow, I was expecting at least a degree of derision. The two bar hand/foot triplet thingy wanked right over the vocal, & that over lengthy cross over hands tom ending fill was pure ego stroking indulgence. Maybe I need to put a bit more show in my business :)

Really guys? - wow, I was expecting at least a degree of derision. The two bar hand/foot triplet thingy wanked right over the vocal, & that over lengthy cross over hands tom ending fill was pure ego stroking indulgence. Maybe I need to put a bit more show in my business :)

Alright, here goes. Andy, you big ham!

I don't see any Over exuberance.

No head banging, no stick twirls, no stick flips, no jumping up and down on the drum set, no arms flailing high in the air.

Seems pretty reserved to me, save the neat cross over thing at the end.

I would also agree, very reserved, even towards the end. Not flashy at all and fit with what was being played. Btw, loved the 6 piece configuration of your Guru set, it is beautiful. How much do those run?

edit: That is a Guru isn't it? Not sure due to the metal hoops. At first I thought it might be the 6 piece you had in the 'attic' display room picture in the other thread.

Yeah, looks like the one on the bottom right http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66934&stc=1&d=1424468631

Last edited:
Yes, you went way way overboard !
Very much over exuberance.

This kind of playing is better left to rock and roll and punk drummers. With their Export drum sets with the reso heads removed.

Definitely not over the top at all. It feels a little frantic though.. Just lay it back a tad and I don't see any reason why you couldn't play that everynight. Sounds great!

Last edited:
Alright, here goes. Andy, you big ham!
Expected :)

I don't see any Over exuberance.

No head banging, no stick twirls, no stick flips, no jumping up and down on the drum set, no arms flailing high in the air.

Seems pretty reserved to me, save the neat cross over thing at the end.
You are aware of my age Ian? ;)

Btw, loved the 6 piece configuration of your Guru set, it is beautiful. How much do those run?

edit: That is a Guru isn't it? Not sure due to the metal hoops. At first I thought it might be the 6 piece you had in the 'attic' display room picture in the other thread.

Yeah, looks like the one on the bottom right http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66934&stc=1&d=1424468631
Yes, it's that kit, & most of our drums have metal hoops :)

This kind of playing is better left to rock and roll and punk drummers. With their Export drum sets with the reso heads removed.
& Bo Eder ;)

You weren't wearing a yellow jacket
Damn, missed another trick :(

Just lay it back a tad and I don't see any reason why you couldn't play that everynight. Sounds great!
Hmmm, I think the band might have something to say about that :(

Guys, I forgot to mention - when I arrived at the venue, the lady of the house was replenishing the cast iron stove with coal, right where I'm to set up my drums. For the whole of the first set, I'm playing with a roaring fire about 1 foot behind my stool (which almost melted). I was beyond overheated & my drums had detuned several octaves (ok, that's an exaggeration). The offending stove was mysteriously doused with water before the 2nd set commenced ;)

That's not over exuberance Andy. No way. That was entirely appropriate for the situation. If that was a recording studio then that would be another thing.

Besides - you gotta have some fun!

By the way, why don't you play the centre of the snare?

Davo

If that's over-exuberance, I'd better take some valium. Looked to me like "normal" drumming.
Thanks John, but I have to say, I'm quite surprised by the majority reaction here. I agree that, in this specific situation, what I did was "within bounds" - just, but in any other setting, there's stuff there that should rightly get me sacked.

Besides - you gotta have some fun!

By the way, why don't you play the centre of the snare?

Davo
Fun indeed Dave, & that's what I was having :)

Good spotting on the snare playing. Two contributing factors to me playing over centre:

1/ It's a 13" snare, & I tend to over centre them anyhow on backbeat / rimshot.
2/ I had my back against a very hot fire / stove, & I'm sitting too on top of the kit.

Back