My Signets and the gong

It's a great pedal once I figured out what I needed to do to make it feel like what I like. Once I shortened the length where the pedal linkage pulled on the beater, and lengthened the footboard, I made it feel just like my DW5000 ;)

The look is very space-age too ;)

Thank you! Based on that I'll order one. While we have a FLMS, they don't have a very good drum/percussion selection at all, so trying one in person is right out. :(

Signets now? - they sound nice just wish Ludwig had chosen a wider selection of wraps.
Are there any parts for the gong in the Steely Dan cover band? I think in the intro of 'Josie' you could use it eh?

The cool thing with the Signets is that those aren't wraps. It's a finish on the shells - and it's "green" meaning it's stuff that's safe for the environment. I looked at the other two finishes, a natural wood, and the darker wood, but that's exactly what they look like - wood. The alpine blue looks wacky enough for me to give it attention, yet subtle. Kinda' like my blue/olive oyster on the other kit ;)

Thank you! Based on that I'll order one. While we have a FLMS, they don't have a very good drum/percussion selection at all, so trying one in person is right out. :(

Cool. If you buy a new one, it comes with an instruction booklet. Definitely read it and give the other options available a go. I'm usually a "out-of-the-box" guy with pedals, so I was a little disappointed with the Demon Drive at first because it felt pretty weak to me out of the box. Once I dug into the many different options, I found the one I liked and it's become a great pedal to use. I think a lot of people need to do that with this pedal considering how many people I read about who say they don't like it.

That said, I go between this Pearl pedal and a new DW5000 accelerator too. Right now I'm using both my DW pedal and the hi-hat, and since I have them feeling the same, I suppose it doesn't matter which one I use.

On an OCD note, I'm keeping my Pearl stuff with the Pearl drums, and the Ludwigs I use everything else instead. Makes it easier for inventory.

Sorry i didnt read all the replies,but how much does a gong stand set you back??

Sorry i didnt read all the replies,but how much does a gong stand set you back??

If you buy the recommend Paiste gong stand (it's shaped like a 'C'), for a 22" gong, you can get them for about $165. And then it sits close to the ground. It costs much more if you want the Paiste stand that you can stand up to play. I managed to find a cheaper Wuhan gong stand that you can adjust the height on for about $85, so while I'm waiting for that one I have it hanging from one of my Pearl boom cymbal stands.

Gong mallets, depending on who's you buy, vary in price too. I found a nice Zildjian one for $26. Paiste has different sizes depending on gong size and those prices can start at $75 and up. I think Paiste assumes it has the gong market cornered ;)

Gong damn it, that's awesome. I am so jealous.
Hang that on a frame and light it on fire!

I could finally do justice to "Africa" if I had one of those :)
Neal

A gong would sound great in a smoky jazz tune.

Bo how big is that gong?

I am green with envy, I want one someday. A bigass one. There's something about the sound of a gong that satisfies something deep down inside me.

It would make for a really fast sled too I bet.

Oh that's right, you don't get snow in Southern California.

A gong would sound great in a smoky jazz tune.

Bo how big is that gong?

I am green with envy, I want one someday. A bigass one. There's something about the sound of a gong that satisfies something deep down inside me.

It would make for a really fast sled too I bet.

Oh that's right, you don't get snow in Southern California.

It's a little 22" gong. I too, would like larger, like a 36", but the $$$ for it is not in the cards. So I'll settle for this one. It cleaned up really nice!

OK it is a 22. You got a helluva deal on that. I can't wait to hear it.

The shop I got them from they used them once for a clinic and sold them at a "used" price. It worked out 😃

Ah, cool. Same as I got my Saturns. The shop owner played one show with them so I got them for $999 for the 5 piece shells. Gotta love a deal.

This is definitely the best reason to get a gong.

(See also 'I just got new drums... because drums!'
etc. )

And the award for Best Reason goes to...

"Because gong."

Ah, cool. Same as I got my Saturns. The shop owner played one show with them so I got them for $999 for the 5 piece shells. Gotta love a deal.

This is an old inside joke here, but whenever you set up your Saturns, are your badges facing outward? Badges must always be facing outward at all times. And you must shame others for not playing Saturns or saying anything slightly derogatory about Saturns too ;)

Then you will be truly Saturn Man.

This is an old inside joke here, but whenever you set up your Saturns, are your badges facing outward? Badges must always be facing outward at all times. And you must shame others for not playing Saturns or saying anything slightly derogatory about Saturns too ;)

Then you will be truly Saturn Man.

I get the joke, been hanging around longer than I've been registered. Not sure if mine face out or not, let me go see.......

Yes! They do face outward (except the kick, of course). Not necessarily straight forward, but definitely outward. Even so, I don't think I qualify for the name "Saturn Man", nor do I think I'd really want to.

I get the joke, been hanging around longer than I've been registered. Not sure if mine face out or not, let me go see.......

Yes! They do face outward (except the kick, of course). Not necessarily straight forward, but definitely outward. Even so, I don't think I qualify for the name "Saturn Man", nor do I think I'd really want to.

Hahaha! I have t-shirts for sale with a big 'S' on the front ;)

Back