10 great progressive drummers

trumvirvel

Since the "10 grooviest..." thread gave me many "missed" drummers to check out, I thought I'd post a list with 10 of my favourite prog-drummers (that I have on CD - still haven't heard an entire Genesis classic *ashamed*).

Please add your favs to the list, preferably with a recommended record with the drummer in question. Hmm...I probably should do the same - that is, give a record suggestion for each...

Here it goes (alfabetically):

Bozzio (Rudess - Feeding the wheel)
Bruford (Yes - Fragile)
Colaiuta (Megadeth - The system has failed)
Donati (Planet X - Universe)
David Husvik (Extol - Synergy)
Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard - V)
Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust destroy)
Mangini (La Brie - Elements of persuasion)
Peart (Rush - Test for Echo)
Portnoy (Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos)

Hope you found some "missing" gems there...

/M

Phil Collins! Awesome, yet subtle "play for the song" kind of work throughout all of PG era genesis. I've always loved his style of hi hat work.

Gavin Harrison, Porcupine Tree: "In Absentia," "Deadwing," "Fear of a Blank Planet"

Kris Myers, Umphrey's McGee: "Anchor Drops," "Safety in Numbers"

Gavin Harrison, Porcupine Tree: "In Absentia," "Deadwing," "Fear of a Blank Planet"

Kris Myers, Umphrey's McGee: "Anchor Drops," "Safety in Numbers"

YES! Kris is amazing, love love love his playing. The playing on anchor drops... That's my idea of a good album, in every way. Fantastic drumming.

Funny how he could be in this thread just as easily as the 10 grooviest thread (atleast in my opinion).

I haven't heard any bad progressive drummers!

In no order, imo:

Teemu Kilponen (Hidria Spacefolk - HDRSF - 1)
Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet)
Neil Peart (Rush - 2112)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory)
Jon Theadore (ex-The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute)
Nick Mason (Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon)
Chris Maitland (ex-Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways)
Bill Ward (Black Sabbath - The Best Of Black Sabbath)
Charlie Zeleny (Behold... The Arctopus - Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning)
Mike Guy (Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice)

Doen't forget Jack Dejohnette ////
Butch Axsmith

Jack de Johnette a progressive drummer (in the prog-rock sense)? He is surely one of my favorite jazz drummers (mostly heard - and once saw - him play with Keith Jarrett). Are you referring to his playing with Miles? ("Bitches Brew") or has he been in any "prog supergroup" I've missed?

Have "Bitches Brew", but must admit I have hardly listened to it, maybe ought to change that...

/M

YES! Kris is amazing, love love love his playing. The playing on anchor drops... That's my idea of a good album, in every way. Fantastic drumming.

Funny how he could be in this thread just as easily as the 10 grooviest thread (atleast in my opinion).

Yes, actually, both he and Harrison could make that list. I first heard about Myers from the MD interview--I checked out the band and dug it immediately. I was struck by how classy the guy was in that interview; very gracious and self-effacing.

Neither is perhaps as proggy as the others here, but both bands can make 7/8 sound as easy as a stroll through 4/4.

My son's band--all 14 year-old Catholic school kids (!)--are working up a PT number. I'm fairly amazed but digging it.

Yes, actually, both he and Harrison could make that list. I first heard about Myers from the MD interview--I checked out the band and dug it immediately. I was struck by how classy the guy was in that interview; very gracious and self-effacing.

Neither is perhaps as proggy as the others here, but both bands can make 7/8 sound as easy as a stroll through 4/4.

My son's band--all 14 year-old Catholic school kids (!)--are working up a PT number. I'm fairly amazed but digging it.

Wait, Kris was in Modern Drummer? I totally missed that... well, I only started subscribing a couple months ago. What issue?

Wait, Kris was in Modern Drummer? I totally missed that... well, I only started subscribing a couple months ago. What issue?

Sorry, youenjoy00myself, I don't seem to be able to find that one at the moment. It was about a year ago. I'm sure MD would be very happy to sell you the back issue.

In no order, imo:

Neil Peart (Rush - 2112)

Neil Peart - I know hes the best drummer in the world, and I like his technique but i think he lacks of feel

Mike Portnoy is Great, Liquid Drum Theater

Nick Mason is just too simple, he plays great, but his songs are just to plain (but the intro for Time is excelent, and you knew it was recorded using only one rototom and recording several layers XD)

I love Bill Bruford, Bonzo, Jose Pasillas (His latest work is kind of progressiveand grooves are excelent, listen to The Odyssey)

Sorry, youenjoy00myself, I don't seem to be able to find that one at the moment. It was about a year ago. I'm sure MD would be very happy to sell you the back issue.

Haha yeah I'll look for it, thanks anyway.

I love Bill Bruford, Bonzo, Jose Pasillas (His latest work is kind of progressiveand grooves are excelent, listen to The Odyssey)

The Odyssey is really brilliant, I love the odd time stuff happening in the 2nd movement. Also the fills in the 4th movement... fantastic.

YEM

According to the issue of modern drummer I just got, the next issue (which will August) will be a special on Proggresive drumming, and will include a list of the top 10 prog drummers and top 50 prog albums according to MD magazine.

YEM

In no order, imo:

Neil Peart (Rush - 2112)

Charlie Zeleny is amazing, as are the other members of Behold...The Arctopus, can't wait for an album from them.

I'm gonna have to chime in with Sean Reinert (death, cynic, aghora etc.) and Bobby Jarzombek (spastic ink), I put them both in the 'uber drummer' category.

Back