Brann Dailor

There is a long article on him in the current, or 3rd issue of DrumHead magazine. Check it out.

Very inspiring,and made me instantly like maastodon. Its like controlled chaos with all the fills and its hard to keep up with a lot of the time :p But i think it makes a very nice change,and i love his style. The video of the fest is amazing too,and i really love the pokadot drums :D But yeah,what a guy,one of mi fave drummers to listen to

Regarding the "overplaying" comments, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but he grew up playing drums with nothing but guitar players who would always play technical and intricate stuff so he just matched it and went along. I think I recall him saying, he didn't realize that he was supposed to be playing with the bass player and following and working off of him until he 19 or 20 something. He is a bit snare heavy, but then again for this type of music he's got a really stripped down kit, you're going to have to hit something.

Is Randy Rhoads picture/logo, on his bass drum? Can you tell?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Re: brann dailor

I sometimes feel that he overplays but I really like Mastodon and I honestly think he should play that way. If he played in a simpler way it would change the music too much.
I guess theres no rule that overplaying is wrong.

I lik that fact that he plays a really simple song on each album, i'm thinking the last tracks from leviathan and blood mountain as examples. It shows that he dosn't have to play so complex all the time for it to be absolutely amazing.

Yeah, he was born when Randy Rhoads died so he's obsessed with him. He is an amazing drummer. Check out crack the skye

I saw brann on mastodons most recent tour with dethklock for crack the skye. he seems to be using a new drumset. It looks like it's a stainless steel tama kit, and the rack toms look shallower than his randy rhoads kit. The drums sounded amazing.

Watching them live I was blown away by how much lead vocals he sings while playing the drums.

I saw mastodon and Brann Dailor live earlier this year. I was right up the front so I got a good view of him playing and checked his kit out also. He is an amazing drummer. He blew me away with his speed and his feel. His double bass playing was very tasteful also. His kit was a Tama starclassic - black, maybe 10,12,14 rack toms 16 floortom and a 22 kickdrum. Matching snare about 6.5. Hi hats ,2 crash, 1 ride. His ride was a Zildjian. Not Meinl.
If you get a chance to see mastodon check them out they are a great band!

I love Brann Dailor's style! He's a really powerful and intense drummer. I recently listened to all of "Crack the Skye" and my mind was BLOWN. I hadn't really discovered Mastodon until earlier this year, so they're like my hidden gem now :D

I'm surprised this thread didn't get more responses

Big fan of Brann. So much so actually it got me out to see a live concert for the first time in 17 years. Saw they for BlackDiamondSkye (was disappointed to see they were opening and would have a smaller time to play in Chicago). As for the overplaying and not keeping a beat, its just a style that he picked up like another poster stated from him playing with guitarists and not a bass player around. Also, Keith Moon would often not keep the beat but that didn't stop him from gaining a lot of fans for his style of play, so to each their own really. I've been listening to music for a while now and never heard anything like the strange arrangement he plays in the song "Capillarian Crest" off "Blood Mountain". If you have not checked Mastadon out before give them a try.

I must admit, I'm a beginner at drumming but Brann Dailor is a pretty big influence for me. He seems so crazy and creative behind his set and he makes it look easy, his fills are orgasmic, and to top it off, he sings in a few songs all while keeping his beat. I would love to meet this guy and pick his brain over for tips and tricks.

Back