Yolanda Charles on drummers! :)

Nice, but I really wish it was a lot longer. It would be interesting to hear more of her views on drummers and such.

Nice, but I really wish it was a lot longer. It would be interesting to hear more of her views on drummers and such.
Indeed! Although there's a good few interviews with Yolanda on Youtube, I think this is the first about drummers. This was very hastily arranged at the end of a session. She was late returning for an engagement in London, so this is as much as we got :(

That said, I do chat to Yolanda quite frequently, & sometimes about drummers & all things rhythm section related. She's both reserved & wise :)

Personally, I think Yolanda Charles should be on a lot more drummers.

It's really hard to talk about Yolanda without mentioning her looks. Her and Mo are in the same class. Yolanda's English accent knocks it out of the park for me. Her bass playing is sublime, and watching her play bass is even better, she's so expressive. Plus, she's got that million dollar smile. (sounds better than a million pound smile)

Kind of on topic, I overheard my guitar player talking to someone about a certain drummer he played with in the past, not me, and he said how little "work" it was to play with him. A compliment for sure, but implies that it's "work" with certain other drummers.

It's really hard to talk about Yolanda without mentioning her looks. Her and Mo are in the same class. Yolanda's English accent knocks it out of the park for me. Her bass playing is sublime, and watching her play bass is even better, she's so expressive. Plus, she's got that million dollar smile. (sounds better than a million pound smile)

Kind of on topic, I overheard my guitar player talking to someone about a certain drummer he played with in the past, not me, and he said how little "work" it was to play with him. A compliment for sure, but implies that it's "work" with certain other drummers.
I hope you don't think you're one of the "certain other drummers Larry?" I really can't imagine that for one minute!

Ok, for Yolanda fans, here's some stills I took from the video of the main session :)

Attachments

• Yolanda4.jpg
    Yolanda4.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Yolanda5.jpg
    Yolanda5.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 377
  • Yolanda1.jpg
    Yolanda1.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Yolanda2.jpg
    Yolanda2.jpg
    976.5 KB · Views: 380
  • Yolanda3.jpg
    Yolanda3.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 380
Apropos Yolanda. Here's a good clip I found, where she plays with Hadrien Feraud and Gergo Borlai. Lot's of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_18gwqAYW4
Lots of fun indeed, but this is one I like better :) With Nicolas Viccaro (who Yolanda works with quite frequently). Yolanda's groove at 6:44 is just wonderful :)

http://youtu.be/vgvj8TIi8ww?t=4m51s

My concern is, this is how the jam band can end up at the LDS after party. Thank goodness I'm on early in the evening (hopefully).

One of Yolanda's latest project, I love it... and as Andy said, good catch on the cymbal at the end... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uf7TxX0OEE

Re: intimidated by great players.

Useless waste of thought. Good players make it so much easier. It's like FINALLY someone who can pull their weight. F getting intimidated. You do what you do, they do what they do. Your being intimidated (speaking to no one in particular) does more to hurt you than help you. Either you can hang with great players or you can't. Introducing another element of distraction isn't helping anyone.

Yes and no, it's depending on how good the player(s) (any instruments) is/are, even the mighty Simon Phillips said: "Sometimes it goes horribly wrong, like when I was playing with Al Di Meola, there was that fantastic bass player called Anthony Jackson - the sort of guy who you are afraid to play with because he's so good."

... and we all know what Simon can do on a kit, lol ... sometimes good players can make you very nervous, whoever you are :)

I was fortunate enough to mainly play in bands with much better players than myself, some bands had even pro-players, it's a nice challenge and definitely a motivation factor, but playing with a musician of the calibre of Yolanda certainly makes me nervous.

I was fortunate enough (thanks to Andy) to watch and listen to Yolanda the whole day in the studio that day, I even sat down in the corner of the room when she was practicing her bass lines for the drums vs bass challenge... and I wish it was a lot longer, wonderful in every sense of the term :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one that gives a wider view Henri http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POwayWGeQAU&feature=youtu.be You may recognise Rob Harris from Jamiroquai, & I'm pretty sure Rob will be with Yolanda in the LDS aftershow jam band (Again, absolutely no pressure there Andy ;)

KIS, the link is to the awesome drumming on "Oceans".............it was funny to watch it again...............not sure if Yolanda was playing, but if she was, I'm sure she wasn't happy!

I agree with Larry, she is a beautiful woman.................and a great musician to boot.................an amazing combination

KIS, the link is to the awesome drumming on "Oceans".............it was funny to watch it again...............not sure if Yolanda was playing, but if she was, I'm sure she wasn't happy!

I agree with Larry, she is a beautiful woman.................and a great musician to boot.................an amazing combination
Oh crap!!!! Edit - Edit - Edit!!!

Just finding this - first watch / listen to the link in the OP, thank you, Andy. Great reminder to this drummer! Others may also appreciate.

(Have discovered and greatly enjoy and appreciate Yolanda's style and music since joining this forum. Wonderful bassist - such a classy artist! one of my favs here: https://youtu.be/pTvMoA1GyV4)

Just finding this - first watch / listen to the link in the OP, thank you, Andy. Great reminder to this drummer! Others may also appreciate.

(Have discovered and greatly enjoy and appreciate Yolanda's style and music since joining this forum. Wonderful bassist - such a classy artist! one of my favs here: https://youtu.be/pTvMoA1GyV4)
Thank you Mr. Rumble :) Long time since I saw this, but yes, sage advice indeed.

I've enjoyed working with Yolanda on a number of occasions - even jammed with her a couple of times. In every aspect of her approach to music, she's utterly wonderful. That especially translates to how she embraces other players, & her total humility at all times. I've only ever seen her really pull out the chops twice. 99% of her playing is totally feel & smart musical choices driven. There's a reason why she's a 1st call session bassist.

She only recently finished touring (for the second time) with Hans Zimmer, & as you know, he only hires lacklustre players ;)

I first met Yolanda through Michele Drees, another player who I really rate in every respect. Both have become firm friends, & beautiful people I'm honoured to be accepted by.

My kind of style! I watched I don't know how many videos of theirs yesterday and enjoyed them all.

Back