I Think I Did Well

Sirwill

Silver Member
I have been looking for a used high end kit for some time. My current Ludwig Accent Custom (natural finish Zep Kit) is just fine for me and really sounds good with good heads and tuning. The trouble is, I miss the sound of maple! I have always wanted a Pearl Masters kit. I feel they are truly great sounding. So here is the new family member... It is a Pearl Masters Series 3 pc (with little use), 4 ply Maple with 4 ply reinforcement rings in red wine lacquer gloss finish. The drum sizes are as follows: 22" Kick, 13" tom and finally a 14"x14" tom. $455.50 on e-Bay = Priceless!

Attachments

• Pearl Masters 1.jpg
    Pearl Masters 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Pearl Masters 2.jpg
    Pearl Masters 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 487
  • Pearl Masters 3.jpg
    Pearl Masters 3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 481
Nice set, my drum teacher has masters and they sound amazing. You got a really good deal on them too.

I was watching those drums for my "research". Great drums at a great price. Built with the "old school" design. Thin shell. Reinforcement rings.
Sketchy mounting system though, what is the year?

Actually, nothing sketchy about it. It's the old Pearl ISS. Take those off the drums and you have 2 virgin toms, to mount any way you want. Doesn't get much better than that. I, personally, use a RIMS/Yamaha hybrid, but everyone has their own "cup of tea".

I was told they were built in 2000. I have yet to research the serial numbers to truly learn there history. I have also found a perfect matching 12" tom that I hope to purchase. I would have never thought I would find another matching tom in this rare color (red wine) and shell (MMX 4 ply maple with 4 ply re-rings). Thank you for your reply.

lose the iss if i were you, and buy some optis. I've seen them warp hoops and eventually damage the shell's round.

That is an awesome set!!!!!

Let me know how you like going from the 26 to the 22.

I had problems with it and went back to the 26.

Mike

Those are really nice drums! It's funny because I went through the same panic as everybody else when I bought my first kit - which one, which one - but in reality there's almost no "bad" drums out there. And it looks like you did well.

But I'll second TopCat on the ISS thing. If your toms mount with little hooks that clip onto the rim, ditch that _now_ and save yourself some pain.

Thanks for all the great info. I have already planned on buying the opti-mounts. One question though. I will need to buy tom mounting arms and not sure if they will fit into standard Cymbal stands our if I need a pair of tom stands. I have owned many kits over the years and recently sold my maple Ludwig kit. My current Ludwig Accent Custom (Zep kit) is fine for the money but its not a high end maple kit, thats for sure. I'm looking forward to building my new Masters kit and will post more pictures in the future when its finished.

.....I will need to buy tom mounting arms and not sure if they will fit into standard Cymbal stands our if I need a pair of tom stands......
It's all pipe dimensions. Some cymbal bottoms/tom stands will work, others won't. I believe the standard Pearl tom arm is 7/8 inch. I have Yamaha tom mounts (and Kima) that accept 7/8 inch tube. The down tube off the triple head is a larger diameter, 1 inch. My Kima bottoms are almost exact copies of Pearl bottoms. Whether you go Pearl, Yamaha, or someone else, 1 inch is 1 inch. That's basic size if you're going for a double tom stand thing. Finding a cymbal stand bottom that accepts the smaller pipe size (7/8) is do-able as well. I can run a single tom arm into a cymbal bottom (without the use of a Yamaha/Kima triple head), but it has to be a 7/8 inch stand.

Last edited:
It's all pipe dimensions. Some cymbal bottoms/tom stands will work, others won't. I believe the standard Pearl tom arm is 7/8 inch. I have Yamaha tom mounts (and Kima) that accept 7/8 inch tube. The down tube off the triple head is a larger diameter, 1 inch. My Kima bottoms are almost exact copies if Pearl bottoms. Whether you go Pearl, Yamaha, or someone else, 1 inch is 1 inch. That's basic size if you're going for a double tom stand thing. Finding a cymbal stand bottom that accepts the smaller pipe size (7/8) is do-able as well. I can run a single tom arm into a cymbal bottom (without the use of a Yamaha/Kima triple head), but it has to be a 7/8 inch stand.

Thank you for the great information. It will help me in my mounting decision.

The drum sizes are as follows: 22" Kick, 13" tom and finally a 14"x14" tom. $455.50 on e-Bay = Priceless!

In the pic with the two toms stacked, they're clearly farther apart in size than 1"... If that were the case, the lug screw heads of the smaller one would barely be sitting inside the hoop of the larger one. Have you measured them or just taken what the seller said on the auction verbatim?

Back