Playing Fast?

C

Cheese

Hi,

I've always thought playing fast could either be musical OR not very musical but when I play over backing tracks or songs and play fills fast it kinda sounds disjointed or clash-y from the song, I don;t think its a mixing problem, i'm using an electric kit and I have made the volume just right It isn't a timing problem, I've also heard people say that playing fast is more of a thrill, or is more fancy-dancy.
So I'm not sure what to do? should I keep playing that way or not, is there any suggestions on what I could play or use to improvise?

I'm not really sure if this is an issue, but whenever i record with an electronic kit, fast playing (Blast-beats, double bass) doesn't come in very well. If possible, try to record with an acoustic kit.

Musically you have to develop your own judgement over what fills complement each song.

Like you implied, fast fills may just not suit some songs.

So I'm not sure what to do?

Isn't it obvious? You do what your musical situation calls for you to do. If there is a requirement to play fast, then work hard at being able to do it. If there's no such requirement, then maybe prioritise and work on more important aspects of your musicality as well.

Your musical application should always dictate how you approach your playing. If there is no requirement for flat out speed in the music you play, then you're never gonna get a job just because you can play fast. If speed is a requirement, then you'll never get a job it you can't do it. Figure out what's most required for the style you want to play and work at it.

But there's like 200 backing tracks and it always sounds 'bad' to me

I can't seem, to find any local gigs so Ive given up on that. Now I practice guitar

Last edited:
I can't seem, to find any local gigs so Ive given up on that. Now I practice guitar

Are there any local bands? Do you have any friends that play instruments? Is there a local dive or a jam night anywhere? Great ways of meeting people.

I've seen it time and time again. 'Bedroom' players that are technically adept but haven't played with other people before. This is particularly prevalent in the bass and guitar community but it applies to drummers, too. There's nothing wrong with practicing in your bedroom but if you want to make music with other people, it's a whole different ball game and you need to get out there.

Hi,

I've always thought playing fast could either be musical OR not very musical but when I play over backing tracks or songs and play fills fast it kinda sounds disjointed or clash-y from the song, I don;t think its a mixing problem, i'm using an electric kit and I have made the volume just right It isn't a timing problem, I've also heard people say that playing fast is more of a thrill, or is more fancy-dancy.
So I'm not sure what to do? should I keep playing that way or not, is there any suggestions on what I could play or use to improvise?

And then...

Wow!

A one hour and 13 minute drumming career.

I've listened to longer albums than that!

No, 10 years, don't make stuff up now.

Last edited:
There is local bands and I have friends who play yes

Anywhere you can go and bust out a few tunes? A garage? A local studio space?

You don't have to gig - just play with other people whatever the context may be. It doesn't even need to be a kit. You could just take a snare and a cymbal. See what comes of it.

All of these are exercises in musicality. Playing with other people will sort that out fast.

Honest;y, i've tried, but they usually only do one rehearsal and then give up, they ted to be new musicians too l last time I tried it was just a huge pile of racket ,nobody was even listening to each other. waste of a journey.

What are your goals with playing the drums? Do you want to play with other people?

If that's not your goal, that's absolutely fine - carry on doing what you're doing. Asking musical questions on here though suggests that that is your end goal - in which case sometimes you have those disastrous experiences. Sooner or later you'll find somebody worth playing with. Been there!

Pocket is right. Forget speed when playing music and focus on making the music flow and feel right.

Sometimes you need speed to do that but what you describe sounds like the fast fills you are choosing are stepping all over the lines of the other instruments in the recordings. When you play with others, if you're stomping over someone else's lines they will give you ... "feedback" :)

Everybody plays for the music. It high time someone played fast on everything. I applaud your fast playing sir.

E kits have sometimes latency problems (delay) the faster you play , the worst it gets. I have had success playing fast fills on all kinds if genres and it fits in very well. The key is where/how. You can play as are roll on the snare followed by a rimshot on 4. Crescendo on hihat , and open it it up followed by a couple of hits on the ride bell .etc

I am giving you examples that just come by. Now, if you are doing a KRL with some double bass mixed up in there , that won't fit a lot of songs ;)

Note:
If its just a drum beat loop I can solo over that absolutely fine,

Back