Hi hats and air lock, no luck.

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I really don't understand what's going on with air lock. Is the air really locking? I have a total of 3 - 7/16" evenly spaced holes drilled in the 2 bottom hi hat cymbals I use most. some are closer in, some are further out. They all make puffs of air lol. So it's not what you would call hermetically sealed. I'm still getting airlock. Not a lot, and I'm not complaining, but it still happens. I"m just not understanding why. I thought perhaps the edges of the top and bottom cymbals, if they got perfectly lined up and there was minimal contact, then airlock sets in, but no. I get airlock even when the top and bottom cymbals have 1/4" of overlap. I really don't get it. Spinning the bottom cymbal cures it easy enough, but I'd rather not deal with it at all. Can anyone explain what is going on when my hi hat decides to stifle itself?

I really don't understand what's going on with air lock. I have a total of 3 - 7/16" evenly spaced holes drilled in the 2 bottom hi hat cymbals I use most. I'm still getting airlock. Not a lot, and I'm not complaining, but it still happens. I"m not understanding. I thought perhaps the edges of the top and bottom cymbals, if they got perfectly lined up and there was minimal contact, then airlock sets in, but no. I get airlock even when the top and bottom cymbals have 1/4" of overlap. I really don't get it. Spinning the bottom cymbal cures it easy enough, but I'd rather not deal with it at all. Can anyone explain what is going on when my hi hat decides to stifle itself?

They airlock with the bottom cymbal tilted? Are you sure it's not the Hi-Hat stand not working properly?

My bottom hat is definitely tilted, hi hat works A-OK.

Are the holes in the middle of the cymbal or more towards the bell? I drilled one bottom hat myself and put the holes closer to the bell than the middle.

Do this: Do a foot chick. Then spin your bottom cymbal a little and do another foot chick..and repeat, until you go as far as you need to, trying to find the exact position that it happens. It happens on both my gig set and my studio set. Different pairs of cymbals and different stands. The volume of the hi hat just drops out to like what feels like 10% of it's original volume. It feels spongy too.

It has never happened to me and I am puzzled as to how it could happen with holes in the bottom cymbal. I don't have holes in any of my hats.

Drill bigger holes, Larry.

I've read that if you wear a cape when playing,you'll never have air lock,but you'll drop more sticks...:):)

I just think there will always be some degree of air lock,unless you're playing Ozone type hats..I have also found that I can induce airlock if I play fast 1/8 th notes,heel up.Listen to Bonzos hi hat part in Moby Dick,on Zep II.He seems to be deliberately trying to achieve air lock,as the cymbals open .

It's just may be a matter of the holes,not being able to relieve that problem of vacume,fast enough,when played at certain tempos.....just spit ballin"

Steve B

Last edited:
.Listen to Bonzos hi hat part in Moby Dick,on Zep II.He seems to be deliberately trying to achieve air lock,as the cymbals open .

He used Sound Edge hats. I don't think it's possible with them, as I've been using 2002's and Sigs for many years and never had this occur.

Check to see if your cymbals are clean. It could happen if your cymbals are dirty with beer, pizza and anything with sugar in it.

By the way Larry, if your hi hat is air locking and you can't use it, it might be a good thing.
It will force you to be more creative when you play.

By the way Larry, if your hi hat is air locking and you can't use it, it might be a good thing.
It will force you to be more creative when you play.

This made me laugh out loud. Some great cross thread humor right there Jim.

Back