When you're in charge, which songs ...

You might as well throw out the entire Stones catalog too....

Oh and anything the Monkee's wrote.

and let's see..... ummm.... er.... oh yeah

The Worst That Can Happen - Brooklyn Bridge

Early on I said yes to all songs. Times change.

First scratching is Sweet Home Alabama. An enjoyable groove but the melodies and hominess are diabolical.

Almost all Top 40s pop. Also 80s rock that has what I think of as an "explosion backbeat".
To explain, I have heard many fine drummers do their thing in that style but I don't want to be one of them. I like more freedom within an arrangement.

Anything with that full on metal sounding distortion guitar from the start to the finish.
I got sick of competing with Marshalls a long time ago and I like dynamics.

Mustang Sally
Keep Your Hands to Yourself
Play that Funky Music

Honorable Mention:

Give me Three Steps
Sweet Home Alabamy

Can't tell you how much it pains me to play these songs.

surprised the list of usual suspects haven't been flagged yet:

- smoke on the water
- stairway to heaven
- enter sandman

borderline entries:

- smells like teen spirit
- iron man
- sweet child o'mine

I will always love you. The Whitney Huston yodel fest. A lesson in how to ruin a good song.

I will Survive. What a whinging over the top performance that is.

Anything by Kiss, just anything. Form over function.

Just one for me.
The Best by Tina Turner. Quite possibly the most awful song ever simply because it causes drunk women to believe they can sing, when in fact all they can do is screech like a banshee.
Ban it now!

Kenny G. No particular song, the entire catalog.

Oh and AC/DC, I find their music and lyrics pointless and repetitive.

Great suggestions otherwise.

I agree with most of the above. Here's some others:

Brown Eyed Girl

Runnin' Down A Dream

Rebel Yell

No Nickelback. No Creed. Also, every cover band I've rehearsed with always wants to play these songs and I'm sick of them:

8675309 Jenny
What I Like About You
The entire Mellancamp and Tom Petty catalog
Hang on Loosely

Ha we play all of these!
"Mustang Sally
Play that Funky Music

Honorable Mention:

Give me Three Steps
Sweet Home Alabamy

Can't tell you how much it pains me to play these songs. "

Pina Colada
Jesse's Girl
Sweet Caroline

The bandleader has this self imposed thing where he thinks he has to play "Brown Eyed Girl" at every gig. I asked him to save it for requests, because someone always requests it.

We also have to do Jenney 867 5309 because my bandleader used to be in Tommy TuTone's band for a short while.

So what lol.

It means I've been awake for far too long, and I may have had a drinkette. And yes, you are absolutely right about Achey Breaky Heart. Ugh.

The funny thing is that "Achey Breaky Heart" was made by Miley's dad, Billy Ray Cyrus...........maybe we just ban that entire bloodline!

Hotel California
Wagon wheel
Slow blues in E with a 5 min guitar solo

I agree about the blues, even though I do a great job at it, it's just not something I'm too crazy about doing anymore. Be it Tin Pan Alley, Turtle Blues, Sweet Home Chicago, and all the other blues songs that sound like the same song with different lyrics.

#2 would be Hit Me with You Best Shot (aka Hit Me With Your worst Song)

#3 would be Come Together. I've been playing that song for over a decade now.

There are a few others I'd like to drop from the list forever.

Nickelback should be erased from history. That's a start.

Rap is to music as an Etch-a-Sketch is to art, so excluding it makes no sense.

Otherwise, I'm with wossname who opined that it's a crime to ban any music. One man's pap is another man's manna. It's not for me to say.

Except for Nickelback. And Coldplay. Definitely Coldplay.

Edited to add: I can't say I'd ban specific blues songs, because I cordially despise the blues as a genre. I can't stand to listen to it. To me it's all the same, and the sameness of it is just BORING. I enjoy playing it, because it lets players stretch their creative muscles, and it's always fun to communicate with other musicians. I can just lock in with the bassist, maintain the groove, and relax. That's fun. When I play with blues enthusiasts, they're always like, "Do you know [insert name of boring song here]?" I'm always all "Nope. Not a clue. What rhythm and what tempo is it?" Usually they can tell me what kind of shuffle, in 3 or 4, and how fast. I make sure they know I'm relying on them to cue me for stops and stuff, I count it off, and we're off. It usually works out.

Back