Musically, what are you involved with at the present?

1. How many bands are you in?
One - Nate Myers & The Aces
http://www.natemyers.com

plus I'll sub with some other local blues, americana, classic rock acts locally as time permits...

2. What kind of music does each band play? Instrumentation?
Mainly originals in a blues, roots, Americana kind of vibe... a little bit of everything

Harmonica/lead vocals, guitar, bass, drums

3. How often do you gig?
2-3 times a week

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig?
Never counted but probably 20 or so in around Central PA, Philly, DE etc...

Cool thread Larry!

Mike Noll

Mike I've heard of your band. I checked your show schedule...nothing in Philly for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see one of your shows.

http://www.randomroosterband.com/index.html

One band - Random rooster

Classic Rock late 60s and 70s mostly with some 80s and 90s mixed in. All covers

4 players, Me drums and vocals, lead guitar and vocals, guitar and lead vocals, bass and vocals, all over 40.

Just put this band together in May. We have done three private gigs and one public gig, all of which required us to be ready with only 20 or so songs. The public event was the X-Bowl Arena Football Championship tailgate party.

We are finally close enough with a full night of songs to seek regular gigs. So we are hoping to play 2 times a month on average.

I expect we will play in a lot of different places. I would like to get a couple regular gigs so there is less hustling needed.

Mike I've heard of your band. I checked your show schedule...nothing in Philly for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see one of your shows.

We were doing the Twisted Tail off of south st. every so often but I don't think we've got anything coming up out that way the rest of the year... We used to hit a joint in Exton pretty regularly, I think it's out that way kinda, nothing recently though.

I'll let you know if anything comes up out that way - would love to meet you.... be ready to jump up and play!!!

We were doing the Twisted Tail off of south st. every so often but I don't think we've got anything coming up out that way the rest of the year... We used to hit a joint in Exton pretty regularly, I think it's out that way kinda, nothing recently though.

I'll let you know if anything comes up out that way - would love to meet you.... be ready to jump up and play!!!

Yes please LMK when you are in town. You play the Tail! I've played the Twisted Tail on many occasions. Great load in eh? Those back steps are steep. And the parking enforcement is treacherous. If your car parking ticket is one minute over, they are writing a ticket just that fast. You must know Mikey Junior then. Love his band, he's a great front guy. He doesn't book my band in there anymore. Professional rivalry is what I chalk it up to.

But yes, please LMK when you are in town, OK?

Yes please LMK when you are in town. You play the Tail! I've played the Twisted Tail on many occasions. Great load in eh? Those back steps are steep. And the parking enforcement is treacherous. If your car parking ticket is one minute over, they are writing a ticket just that fast. You must know Mikey Junior then. Love his band, he's a great front guy. He doesn't book my band in there anymore. Professional rivalry is what I chalk it up to.

But yes, please LMK when you are in town, OK?

Yea, we know Mikey Jr. very well -- we did a few gigs with him and his guys for the Bucks Co. blues society - wish I could remember the name of the joint.

The TT load in truly IS horrible - even though I used that POS house kit... no way I was hauling my stuff up those stairs - though every time we played there, I regretted NOT bringing my own drums by the end of the night!!

3 - 1 full time original band Lion-Hearted, 1 part time original project - Apophis, and part time recording work for an original solo guitarist - Gavin Guntner.

Lion-Hearted - Hard Rock meets Funk - trio

Apophis - Progressive/Symphonic Metal (used to have an Opera singer) - 4 guys

Gavin Guntner - Instrumental Rock/prog/ambient/metal

3. How often do you gig?

Once or twice a month, mostly doing recording work right now.

About 8 or 9

This helps me get a better handle on who I am interacting with here. I have a few questions also feel free to add anything else, like links to your band, whatever.

Me:

1. 1 band, called The Don Evans band, plus I sub once in a while for others if I'm available

2. We are a blues band at heart, but in reality we play what we have to, which doesn't include nearly enough blues for me. So we must cover many styles because we are a cover band....So I play some 50 - present day rock, new and old country, reggae, blues, top 40 pop from different eras, ballads, a little tiny bit of light jazz, dinner music, a little Motown... All over the place all in one night basically. We don't dwell on any one style. Except when we get the occasional gig where we do play predominantly blues, yeah.

Instrumentation: Bass, guitar, drums and if the money permits, a saxophone. One main singer with the bass player doing a little harmony.

My guitar player uses a vocal harmonizer. At first I was like...I don't know...but it really fills the sound out and the harmonies are spot on. The guitar runs through it so it knows to use a major or minor harmony structure. Pretty cool.

3. Sub gigs included, this year I expect about 75. Down from 113 last year when I was in 2 bands.

4. My band works as a duo and a trio (both sans drums) more than they do with me. With me I only regularly play 4 different rooms, not including one off parties and such.

I appreciate your answers. Helps me to understand you guys better.

1. How many bands are you in? 2. A jazz quartet/trio called "Livin' Easy" and a blues band, "Lou Deluca & The Delta 88's" Here's a random sampling of a gig the blues band did earlier in the year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1o_u4bBjcU

2. What kind of music does each band play? Instrumentation? The jazz gig trio will usually add one of three different sax players. The blues band is traditional Chicago blues; a harp, guitar, bass, and drums.

3. How often do you gig? Both bands combined, about 3-4 times a month.

4. How many different rooms do you regularly gig? With the jazz band, about 5 or so; a few retirement homes and a couple restuarants. The blues band is all bars, plus a couple wineries, and whatever else comes our way. A couple weeks ago, it was a "party barge" on some boat tour downtown.

What an interesting topic!

To answer the questions:

Two really. One is a party / wedding / function band that operates under a couple of identities, primarily Party Siempre. The other is a pub band playing an eclectic mix of 70s onwards material - Sam Whiskeys Poinson Medicine Band.
I also work on instrumental music as a solo project, but it's not gigged yet.

Keys / Guitar / Bass / Drums & vocals.

3. How often do you gig?
Once or twice a week. Alternative answer: not enough!

Dozens.

With that description, I just had to click on the link! Epic overplaying - love it!!!!

Thanks man, thanks for listening! I have to admit it was a bit much much out of the gate, but I've reeled it in lately. Next record will be less busy. Actually, there are almost no fills in the songs "Captured" and "dues:pAID" on this release (in the Music section or Video sections of the site)

Thanks again!

Two that I actively gig with, plus occasional sub slots when I have time.

Band 1 - 24hr Motown People - a 9 piece Motown/Soul/R&B Revue Band. Drums, bass guitar, guitar (and vocals), keys/organ (and vocals), tenor sax, alto sax, male lead vocal, two female vocals.

Band 2 - Little Black Dog - 4 piece rock/funk/pop covers band. Drums, lead guitar (and vocal), rhythm guitar (and vocal), bass guitar (and vocal).

3. How often do you gig?

Maybe 100 gigs a year.

Band 1 - we only really do corporate work or weddings, so rarely the same venue.

Band 2 - regular rotation of 4/5 different venues, plus other work for weddings/corporate work.

Currently playing in 2 bands. Both are Rock/Hard Rock. My main band is the American Hitmen. www.americanhitmen.com

We are straight up drums, guitar, and bass with the singer occasionally adding acoustic guitar and/or keys.

We play about a 50/50 mix of covers and originals (really it depends on the gig.)

We probably do about 80 shows a year. We're heading out on a tour this Friday that will take us coast to coast.

American Hitmen America's Got Talent 2013: http://youtu.be/wfVFh7Rvmr4

Just the one. An original band, that also does covers in some of our gigs for the moolah.

Setup is Guitarist (rhythm and lead)/Singer, Lead Guitarist, Bassist, Drummer. The original music is probably influenced by British rock n roll music, blues and psychedelic. The covers are mostly by British rock and indie bands from the 60s-00s. I can take or leave a good few of them. Most I've grown out of long ago, some I never really cared for at all (The Beatles for example)

3. How often do you gig?

Varies. Could be two in a weekend. Then a wait of a few weeks til the next one, then one every weekend for a bit. Semi-regular I suppose. Whenever we get the phone call.

3 different venues regularly. 2 pubs, the other is a bar/live music venue that hosts well-known national and international acts.

I currently just play percussion in a community concert band. We play easy pop arrangements to give the casual members something fun, complex classical pieces to challenge the semi-pros, and everything in between. We have two concerts per year plus a few other performances for summer festivals, parades, and the like.

Meanwhile, I'm working on some one-man-band home recording projects with my marimba and drum set. Basically, I find a classic rock or video game tune that voices well to percussion, and overdub myself playing all the parts. I might have enough percussionists rounded up to start an ensemble that could play some of these live. It's a crazy idea that's been brewing since I figured out how to play the Thunderstruck riff in high school and heard how cool it sounded on marimba.

1. One band, maybe a second after tonight's audition.

2. My main band plays classic rock, and the band I'm auditioning for a progressive metal.

3. Not all that often. Maybe twice per month (7 people in my band, and we all have busy schedules)

4. Whichever rooms we can get ;)

Four bands at the moment. My main band Tylor Dory Trio, A yet unnamed Primus tribute band, a local singer/song writer named Robyne Walters and a sub for my drum teacher's band the Tsunami Brothers.
TDT plays progressive metal/rock and is a trio, guitar, bass & drums, all of us sing. Primus tribute plays whatever kind of music you consider Primus to be and again is a trio, but the bass player is the only one who sings. Robyne's gig is more mellow, spiritual singer/song writer-y stuff and has a different configuration almost each time we play. The core is her guitarist/producer (who does majority of the back ups and some leads), bass, drums and of course Robyne doing lead vocals and piano. Depending on the gig sometimes we have a second guitarist, a percussionist and back up singer. The Tsumani Brothers are a surf band playing covers from bands like The Venturers or tv themes. It's all instrumental music with two guitarists, bass and drums.
3. How often do you gig?
Three to four times a month however this August I've done nearly twice that amount.
About 10 or so of the small - medium sized venues including the occasional house concert.

This is a really great thread Larry, fantastic idea! I'm very interested in the plethora of metal heads this forum has that seem to go on about how much jazz they play, and see just how many are actually in a jazz group and not just their local-level metal band.

Bermuda, I find it very interesting to see how many groups you play with outside of your gig with Al. I guess it was a bit naive of me to assume that playing a high-profile gig like that would pay all your bills. Maybe it does however, and you just have to work that much to support your gear addiction. ;)

-Jonathan

Last edited:
Bermuda, I find it very interesting to see how many groups you play with outside of your gig with Al. I guess it was a bit naive of me to assume that playing a high-profile gig like that would pay all your bills. Maybe it does however, and you just have to work that much to support your gear addiction. ;)

Let's just say I can afford to play in local bands. :)

Actually, I've always been in other bands. I like playing, and when I'm behind the drums, one gig is just as enjoyable as another. These bands cheerfully defer to my schedule with Al, and always welcome me back when I return. I wouldn't blame them if they opted for a permanent drummer, but I'm grateful I get to keep playing between tours.

Bermuda

Not doing much lately, only because of a lack of motivation.
I am doing a gig or two with a Bob Segar tribute act. I refer to the drummer as "a monkey banging on a desk".
But as bad as the originals drum sounds are and as basic and mindless the original playing, it is the only thing that makes these songs work. And as bad as this sounds, I still enjoy playing it, even though I may slice my wrists if I had to listen to it for an extended period of time.

Not doing much lately, only because of a lack of motivation.
I am doing a gig or two with a Bob Segar tribute act. I refer to the drummer as "a monkey banging on a desk".
But as bad as the originals drum sounds are and as basic and mindless the original playing, it is the only thing that makes these songs work. And as bad as this sounds, I still enjoy playing it, even though I may slice my wrists if I had to listen to it for an extended period of time.

Interesting. Seger used the renowned Muscle Shoals rhythm section on much of his music. I always saw Roger Hawkins as a straight-up excellent drummer (not a mindless one) and who served Segers tunes so well. Do you do his version of If I Were a Carpenter?

Back