New Sonor choice!!!!

piperdoog

Silver Member
Ok deal of the lifetime may have fallen my way, I have to decide to struggle a bit with some payments or go with the original plan, here it is!
I Love Sonor drums, been playing them for awhile switched over from Ludwig (which I still like as well) I just prefer the looks and sound I get from a Sonor drum. I have played them all, with the exception of an SQ2 kit simply because of the price jump for that series of drum.
I have a 3007 kit which is great but I just feel it's time to move to a better more top quality kit giving I have been playing a very long time and wanted to treat myself to a great pro quality instrument. I had settled on the S classix, I tried both out and loved the Delite as well however just felt the S classix sound was the one I was drawn too.
So there it was I was, going to save money, had done my research and was going to get an S classix kit.
Now I get a call from my buddy at the music store (because he knows I'm in the market for a new kit) and he say's he has a Used SQ2 kit that has just come back in I should take a look at( not a mark on them 2 months old ) i go look at it and it's amazing, the finish is great the sizes of drum are what I'm after, not a mark on them, and the price (yet still alot) is manageable. So do I get the S classix or the SQ2 for another chunck of money?
Just when i had it all figured out.
AHHHHHHHHHH!
I'm leaning towards the SQ2...

Thoughts!!!!!!!

and thank you.

Better drums for a manageable price. Go look at them and see what you think. They be more money but if they are manageable go for it.

What is the price difference between the S Classix that you were saving for and the used SQ2?
Also, Will buying the more expensive kit put a burden on you financially?
You should at least go and play the SQ's and compare.
You may find that you still like the Classix just as much.

What is the price difference between the S Classix that you were saving for and the used SQ2?
Also, Will buying the more expensive kit put a burden on you financially?
You should at least go and play the SQ's and compare.
You may find that you still like the Classix just as much.

I hear ya, it is more money. The SQ2 kit is the medium maple I did get a chance to play it, tune it etc. and it does sound amazing. The kit to order retails @ $6000, since it is classified as a used kit, but I'm telling you it is like new, my bud can give it to me for $3500.
The S classic kit, unless I go ebay, will cost $2599 plus tax. Also with the SQ2 I'll get a matching snare, and a 14 inch tom but not with the S classix.
So you see my issue.
I like them both, and I'm hoping this to be the last kit I buy, (yeah right)
We shall see.
I can also put it on lay away for 2 months putting money into it whenever I want.

That is a good deal. Being that it is a $1000 dollar difference and you get more drums.
You should buy the SQ2.

I would take the SQ2. S Classix are great too. Which do you like most?

If you don't need new, I'd get those SQ2s as it seems like a deal you shouldn't pass up!

That's how I got my Bubinga Elites - way cheaper and manageable. If I bought new, I'd have to settle for Starclassic Performers or something like that. Don't pass it up, bro!

I would take the SQ2. S Classix are great too. Which do you like most?

Hey yung,
I like them both, I did get a chance to play this SQ2 and man its nice, I honestly think it would be the last kit I would buy, SQ2's were never on my radar just because of the price. Now that it is a good price I'm really thinking i should.
I have gotten advice from you in the past and I have appreciated it (and from Others) you seem to have a vast knowledge on drums, and Sonor's.
As I say I like both products S classix and sq2 but you really can't get a better drum kit than the SQ2, so i am kind of leaning that direction.
Just have to ask the wife ha ha ha.

If you don't need new, I'd get those SQ2s as it seems like a deal you shouldn't pass up!

That's how I got my Bubinga Elites - way cheaper and manageable. If I bought new, I'd have to settle for Starclassic Performers or something like that. Don't pass it up, bro!

I hear ya, thanks man, I deserve it.. ha ha

Even if the worst case scenario happened and you had to sell the SQ"s in the future you could get your money back.
Not that I think that that will happen, but one always has to consider the "What Ifs"

We're probably the worst people to ask for this kind of advice if you're trying to be fiscally responsible.

But what the heck! You only live once! Go go go!

How true that is Bo!
It is a lot of money and this kind of purchase should never be made without great contemplation.
If piperdoog's job is secure and he is not in any big debt, He will probably be OK.

Hey yung,
I like them both, I did get a chance to play this SQ2 and man its nice, I honestly think it would be the last kit I would buy, SQ2's were never on my radar just because of the price. Now that it is a good price I'm really thinking i should.
I have gotten advice from you in the past and I have appreciated it (and from Others) you seem to have a vast knowledge on drums, and Sonor's.
As I say I like both products S classix and sq2 but you really can't get a better drum kit than the SQ2, so i am kind of leaning that direction.
Just have to ask the wife ha ha ha.

It's been my pleasure to help.

In your place I would certainly take the SQ2. You could mention to your wife the extra shells and the resale value is higher than S Classix. IMO SQ2 drums are among the finest drums made today. The engineering and construction is 2nd to none. That can be said about Sonor in general of course.

I played a gig with a keyboard player last night.
He has been out of work for almost a year.
He plays in four bands but he only makes a fraction of what his day job payed.
He told me that he just bought $2500 worth of recording equipment for his home studio.
He spent the last of his savings!
I thought to myself, YOU JERK!!!

I played a gig with a keyboard player last night.
He has been out of work for almost a year.
He plays in four bands but he only makes a fraction of what his day job payed.
He told me that he just bought $2500 worth of recording equipment for his home studio.
He spent the last of his savings!
I thought to myself, YOU JERK!!!

Well, that "I can make money with it" attitude runs deep in musicians. At the very least, he can say that.....

It's not like he traded the cow for some magic beans, eh? ;)

How true that is Bo!
It is a lot of money and this kind of purchase should never be made without great contemplation.
If piperdoog's job is secure and he is not in any big debt, He will probably be OK.

Yeah, it is a major purchase of course. I do have a good career, pension etc.. make decent money and of course this is a want not a need which is the issue, however saying that I would get a decent price for my kit as a trade in if i can't get more for it on craigslist, so that would take a chunk out of the payment.
Anyways I definitely have some thinking to do.
And don't we all have debt?

It's not like he traded the cow for some magic beans, eh? ;)
Close, very Close!
Times aren't good, Almost all of the people that I know who are in trouble did it to themselves by not saving anything when times were good.
I see it everyday a work.
I know doctors that make $750k a year and they cant buy brakes and tires for their Lexus!

Back