Photos of finished Cocobolo kit

rschuh

I've wanted a Cocobolo stave kit for about a decade now, but my shell supplier, Joshua Tree Percussion, was only able to get boards large enough for snares in the past. He now can get all sizes. My kit is small. It's a 16x13 kick, 12x8 and 14x12 floor tom. I also built a gorgeous 13x7 Macassar Ebony snare, but I'll have to get photos tomorrow. These drums sound AMAZING and react at low volumes like nothing else I've played in my over 40 years of drumming. They are close in sound to my bubinga kit that I had in the same sizes, but I just LOVE the look of the Cocobolo, so it was well worth the wait. Just check out the colors and the wild grain patterns on these shells! :) I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks

Rob

1aa1aaaacocokit.jpg

1aa1aaaacocokit2.jpg

1aa1aaaacocokit4.jpg

1aa1aaaacocokit6.jpg

1aa1aaaacocokit3.jpg

WOW.

That's amazing!
Enjoy (I know you will)!!!

Thanks!
They sound even better than they look!

--
--
Robert Schuh
"Everything that elevates an individual above the herd and
intimidates the neighbour is henceforth called evil; and
the fair, modest, submissive and conforming mentality,
the mediocrity of desires attains moral designations and honors"
- Nietzsche

http://www.hardbopdrums.com/

that is SICK !!! great job. can you give a ballpark of what 18 / 12 / 14 / 14 (snare) would run for that wood ?

Beautiful looking set of drums. The only thing I'm not sure of is the rack tom mount, the way its weight and the tom's weight itself is pushing on two different points of the bass drum. The rack tom hanging out there acts as a big lever. Aesthetically they look great.

Dennis

I'm liking the look of those lovely shells. Most striking grain pattern & warm colour palate. I've got an ebony stave snare too, so I know you're in for a treat when that arrives. Stave gets the very best tones out of smaller size drums, so they'll sound much bigger than their size would have you believe. Yes, a recording would be nice too. Congratulations!

They look stunning, incredible work. Yes, give us a recording!

This kit sounds very similar to my Bubinga stave kit that I used for this CD:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/RobSchuh. I just love the look of Cocobolo and had wanted a Coco kit for about 10 years. Tim at Joshua Tree Percussion, who made the shells, could only get large enough boards to make snares in the past, but he found a new source and now can make full kit sizes. I know people like to joke about a 16" bass drum not being a real bass drum, but I've used a 16" kick since the late 70s on and off and have used one exclusively since the mid 90s. That CD is a solo drum CD, but it was done to be very musical and not just a forum to show off chops. I recorded it over a period of a few years when we recorded these 2 trio CDs, http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ravenscroft6 and http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ravenscroft4. Being that Bubinga and Cocobolo are both heavy and hard woods and both kits are the identical sizes with the same edges etc., you can get an idea of what both kits would sound like. As to the tom mount, that's the Dunnett rail mount and I prefer it over the DW or the Gibraltar. I play my bass drums wide open with just coated and clear ambassadors and I've not heard any difference from playing the kick virgin to having the 12" tom mounted on it. The thing I like about it is that you can move it from front to back. You can't do that with most other tom mounts. The only holes that need to be drilled are the 2 small holes for the tom bracket. Ronn invented that rail mount so that it could be used to convert floor toms to kicks. You can use 2 of the tom mounts for the spurs and one for the rail mount. I just prefer it for full time use.

Very nice set. The innovative tom mount is very cool. I also liked the accent the black hoops provide on the bass drum along with the clear front head. A very original looking kit.

Definately cool.
Love the bass drum spurs!

I thought you guys would get a good laugh about this. I posted the photos of my drums and a link to my solo drum CD over at Ghostnote, the home of wanna be drum builders. Almost every one said my drums looked like shit because of silly things like the black tension rods. Here's the real kicker. NONE of them heard my CD, but from listening to the 30 second snippets at CD Baby, they all said it was self indulgent drum chop crap. The most ludicrous thing about that is that the reviews from musicians other than drummers, such as piano players, sax players and bass players has been amazing. IF they like it, I think it shows that it is the furthest thing from "drum bullshit." If you guys want a good laugh, check out Ghostnote. It's filled with guys who build a drum or two and think that they are Bill Ludwig! :)

I really liked the black lugs in contrast to the gold hoops and the beautiful wood.
I never would have thought to use bleck lugs.
Nice job!!!
I also am a big fan of the 16 inch bass drum.
I like all sized bass drums for different reasons.

Very beautiful! I love cocobolo. I built my son a bow with cocobolo limbs and a curly maple riser - lovely, lovely woods.

I thought you guys would get a good laugh about this. I posted the photos of my drums and a link to my solo drum CD over at Ghostnote, the home of wanna be drum builders. Almost every one said my drums looked like shit because of silly things like the black tension rods. Here's the real kicker. NONE of them heard my CD, but from listening to the 30 second snippets at CD Baby, they all said it was self indulgent drum chop crap. The most ludicrous thing about that is that the reviews from musicians other than drummers, such as piano players, sax players and bass players has been amazing. IF they like it, I think it shows that it is the furthest thing from "drum bullshit." If you guys want a good laugh, check out Ghostnote. It's filled with guys who build a drum or two and think that they are Bill Ludwig! :)

Crossposting, FTW!

If you guys want a real laugh, check out these couple of threads. And you'd darn well better know and worship Jaco Pastorius, lest ye anger the jazz gods. :rofl:
http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/showthread.php?45051-Photos-of-finished-Cocobolo-kit
http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/showthread.php?45165-Final-comment

Sweeeeet! Beautiful drums.
We need recordings!

Back