Piccolo Snare Pop (tuning).

Muckster

Platinum Member
I just aquired a Tama 13" x 3" hammered steel piccolo. For those of you that play similar snares, what do you do to get a good "Pop" sound out of the drum. I just tuned it up wide open and man is it ringy. I don't have it cranked super tight yet. The snares are fairly tight, but man the ring coming out of this thing is tremendous! Should i crank it up more?
I've never had a piccolo before so i wasn't ready for the ring.

I actually will use this in the studio tomorrow night. I would appreciate any tips.

Isn't the 'pop' more related to where you hit the drum? I mean, on my regular snare that's tuned medium-high-ish, has this great pop sound when playing rimshots. I would think a pancake drum like that would choke out if you cranked it up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What heads are you using?

You're gonna get a better 'pop' out of a single ply head like an Ambassador, as opposed to the double ply Emperor. However, I've found that by cranking the bottom head and tuning the top head medium tight, you can get a pretty solid pop out of most drums. Also, the more snare wires, the more 'crack' you're going to get. With a 12 - 16 wire snare, it's easier to get a pop sound.

And about the ring, steel snares are notorious for their sometimes annoying resonance. I use a bit of dampening to mellow my 5x14 steel snare out. If you want to cut down on ring, I suggest Moongel or a small amount of duct tape.

You're gonna get a better 'pop' out of a single ply head like an Ambassador, as opposed to the double ply Emperor. However, I've found that by cranking the bottom head and tuning the top head medium tight, you can get a pretty solid pop out of most drums. Also, the more snare wires, the more 'crack' you're going to get. With a 12 - 16 wire snare, it's easier to get a pop sound.

And about the ring, steel snares are notorious for their sometimes annoying resonance. I use a bit of dampening to mellow my 5x14 steel snare out. If you want to cut down on ring, I suggest Moongel or a small amount of duct tape.

Thanks Fish, I guess my question was more of a "what now?" keep cranking or dampen?
I feel better now LOL.

Thanks Fish, I guess my question was more of a "what now?" keep cranking or dampen?
I feel better now LOL.

Or you could try a powerstroke 3, an ambassador with muffle rings.
Moongel works too though, if you prefer a standard amb.

I use a coated diplomat on top with a clear stock head on the bottom of my off brand steel piccolo. I've got both heads cranked up very tight, with the snares fairly tight. It's got tons of pop without much ring.

Back