Wondering what everyone has to say about trying to make a living drumming?

Shild

I'm trying to understand what types of bands make what kind of money and why? I welcome any guidance....

. So far I understand that totally original acts starting out make the least, a few steps above that is being a cover band, a few steps above that is being a tribute band and a few steps above that is being a wedding band. Do I have my facts straight so far?

I've got a theory too and was wondering if anyone can confirm it? I'm wondering if it becomes progressively easier to make money in a particular genre as it ages? For example, would it be easier to make money with a band similar to Jimi Hendrix now than it would be in say 1968?

Would also love to know how a rapper like this http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...mborghini-aventador-crash-fans-153301157.html gets the kind of money to buy Lambo's like that when there are so many rappers trying to get to that level. Where is the money coming from?

I'm trying to understand what types of bands make what kind of money and why?

The simple answer is, bands/music that appeal to the masses tend to make the most money. Of course, figuring out what that is at any given time is the challenge for a band or artist that wants to make it big. Ideally, you do what you want to do, and hope for the best. Some artists absolutely revel in their lack of commercial success, rationalizing that they've stayed true to their art and haven't sold out by making commercial music.

One thing is for sure, making money in today's music business depends largely on concert ticket sales. Album/song sales are way down, and there aren't nearly as many million-sellers as there were just 5 years ago.

Established bands/artists often license their songs for movies, and especially commercials. But not everyone gets $1m like Led Zep reportedly did for licensing Rock & Roll for a Cadillac commercial.

One thing is for sure, it's tougher than it used to be to make good money playing, and that's at pretty much every level of being a musician.

Bermuda

One thing is for sure, making money in today's music business depends largely on concert ticket sales. Album/song sales are way down, and there aren't nearly as many million-sellers as there were just 5 years ago.

Bermuda

I was expecting something like this would be the answer. I'm still confused about how much some rappers make though...

It's VERY hard to make ends meet as a freelancer, trust me. If you want to make music your sole source of income, you HAVE to diversify. Sure, you can join a band that gigs 2 nights a week, but is that enough to pay the rent, feed you, AND allow you to afford anything else? Chances are the answer is "no". What else can you do to bring in some income? Join another band as well? Teach? Learn more instruments and broaden your hireability? These are the things that I do, and thankfully I've been blessed with opportunities and carve a decent living doing music.

If you want to make a living being in just one band, realize the odds are stacked against you. I wish you all the luck in the world...

it is much easier to bob and weave your way into making a living as a single entity and not as a band

I learned that the hard way

there is much more work for an available drummer than an available band

be versatile, available , and willing to sacrifice and you can make a living

if you can read and make music feel good there is work for you .....depending on where you live there may be a lot of work

don't plan on making millions ....you will be in for a rude awakening

but if you get out there and meet as many people as you can , remember their names and make sure they remember you, you can get gigs......and if you can swing a band those gigs will turn into more gigs which will turn into more and so on

have your business mind sharp and be a guy people want to be around

This is a loaded question there are so many variables that come in to play, not to mention luck and being in the right place at the right time. Suffice it to say, it is not easy to make a living at anything these days. Take my profession, attorney, five years ago law schools were pumping out grads into high five and six figure jobs. These days young lawyers are fighting over public interest jobs that barely pay enough to cover the exorbitant cost of a law degree. The one common thread among all professions that i see these days is you have to be able to market yourself and distinguish yourself. Good luck to you.

I was expecting something like this would be the answer. I'm still confused about how much some rappers make though...

Some rappers love to live large, and are highly leveraged. But there can be good money for the established rappers who can diversify, such as doing commercials, or movies. There's a young generation that thinks Queen Latifah is a 1) Cover Girl and 2) actress, with little concept that she started as a rapper. She's undoubtedly made a lot more in her post-rapping pursuits. Same for Will Smith and possibly LL Cool J.

So the answer is, some make a lot of money, and some like to look like they make a lot of money.

The problem with getting so far in debt, is that the bubble usually bursts sooner than expected. Popularity wanes, money gets tight, and gone are the mansions, fancy cars, expensive parties, and the hired help. For most musicians, those paychecks don't last forever, but they live like it will never end..

Bermuda

Some rappers love to live large, and are highly leveraged. But there can be good money for the established rappers who can diversify, such as doing commercials, or movies. There's a young generation that thinks Queen Latifah is a 1) Cover Girl and 2) actress, with little concept that she started as a rapper. She's undoubtedly made a lot more in her post-rapping pursuits. Same for Will Smith and possibly LL Cool J.

So the answer is, some make a lot of money, and some like to look like they make a lot of money.

The problem with getting so far in debt, is that the bubble usually bursts sooner than expected. Popularity wanes, money gets tight, and gone are the mansions, fancy cars, expensive parties, and the hired help. For most musicians, those paychecks don't last forever, but they live like it will never end..

Bermuda

these kids get a big advance and think it's their money

I dont think people really know what they want to hear and are willing to pay for.

Trust what you hear in your head and that you are a part of the culture that wants more than whats currently out there....

...beyond that, ignore the greed and you will hear the music far easier.

The problem with getting so far in debt, is that the bubble usually bursts sooner than expected. Popularity wanes, money gets tight, and gone are the mansions, fancy cars, expensive parties, and the hired help. For most musicians, those paychecks don't last forever, but they live like it will never end.

MC Hammer?

Personally, I believe that anyone who looks at the music business just to make money, especially a lot, is going around it the wrong way.

Successful bands and artists that last, take years to establish themselves, and regularily re-invent/resurrect their direction to appeal to a fresh market. (e.g. look at the number of youngsters/teens at Rush gigs)

Diversification is, really, the way ahead. Gvdadrummasum has a very valid point: "there is much more work for an available drummer than an available band".
To add to this: especially a drummer who reads, can programme and can play to a click.

It is possible to make a decent living from music, not just by being in bands; teaching, theatre work, programming etc. But one thing I always say to any youngsters who talk about doing it professionally, (And this isn't to dampen anyones enthusiasm) is that once you market yourself as a professional, that fun hobby you had suddenly becomes that day job and sometimes isn't as much 'fun' as it used to be. But thats the same with any job, we all have good & bad days.

Personally, I believe that anyone who looks at the music business just to make money, especially a lot, is going around it the wrong way.

I can agree with that, however, there's nothing wrong with asking out of curiosity.

I think if you're an originals band, it's hardest at the start. You play for nothing, have no fans that aren't related to you, and pretty much have to start at the absolute bottom. Unlike a covers band, you can't simply show up anywhere and play [in the most general terms], so the chances of money are slimmer. You don't play weddings. People wanna hear familiar stuff at weddings. Same with corporates, unless it's music related.
You try to attract an audience, so you have to do a lot of footwork. You sacrifice the money aspect in exchange for things like keeping door prices down, playing better opportunities, expanding your fan base, and regenerating any band income back into the band. These things all take time, dedication and patience. Add to that the immense balancing act of keeping that [sometimes] highly dysfunctional relationship we call a "band" together.
Then, as your fan base grows, and your music output continues at a quality that attracts more fans, things get slightly easier. The satisfaction of a job well done tends to outweigh the money attached.
Don't get me wrong, though....the work never stops. There's an incredible amount to do to keep an original band afloat, and often requires me to be on-the-clock in many different ways other than playing drums. Making records, creating artwork, doing promotion, tour booking....all things that take dedication, creativity and patience.

Funny, but all this time, when I look back on my own "career", the thing that stands out the most to me that I can appreciate are the records I've played on. There's something about a record that's like an indelible stamp in history. It just seems so validating from a musical standpoint. Something to prove for all that hard work. And they stay with you forever.

Money's great, but it's really hard to make. Focusing only on the money is not focusing on the other aspects of drumming that make it so great.

It's hard and you have to be prepared to tough it out. It's possible if you are single. However, if you are married with a kid, and need health insurance and some sort of security then frankly I think the odds skyrocket.

It was always hard, now its MUCH harder.

At age 27, I made about 40K from drumming. This was from a few albums and lots of touring. I thought I was large and on my way up. Within 5 years all I got offered was tours with original and tribute bands. If you are not ready to tour ALOT then it's much harder to make any money.

Let me let you in on a little secret... Touring on a low budget sucks, you can never find good food and you always feel a little dirty and unwashed. I can't tell you how many times my stomach rebelled against me.

Not for me anymore... I love my music and drums yet no longer feel compelled to have to earn my living from them.

If you are not ready to tour ALOT then it's much harder to make any money.

There's a bit of irony, in that we actually have to go out and play to make money! No longer does a band toil in the studio, and derive residual income from their efforts once they've finished their work. Albums/tracks simply aren't selling that well, save for a handful of mega-stars, and they're not selling 10 million albums anymore either. Bands/artists and their musicians have to perform in order to thrive - or just survive - in the music business.

The real irony is that for artists & bands who rely heavily on studio wizardry, performing live means either singing to a track, or using musicians who won't sound the same in most cases, and often they're lip-synching because they can't sing well on demand. I guess as long as audiences accept and continue to pay for those performances, those artists can sustain. Of course artists who are more "live" on thier recordings can easily sound great onstage.

Artists & bands that sound great and make music people want to hear, will do well. And if they can continue that, they will continue to do well and enjoy long careers. Stones, McCartney, Mark Knopfler, U2, Neil Diamond, Aerosmith, Tony Bennett, Tom Jones are a few names that come to mind.

My boss also fits in that category of continuing to make music that the fans want to hear, and continue to pay to see in person. :)

Bermuda

That's amusing that the writer thinks $600/gig makes them a mid-level band! But he's right about how most of that goes for other expenses. Most people think "so, the band plays for 1000 people at $35 each, and they make $35,000 for the night! What's wrong with that?" Well, deduct all of the expenses of a touring band and small crew, and it's a small percentage that actually trickles down to the bandmembers.

Bermuda

For an originals band doing the 3 bands a night circuit, $600 probably is mid level. Maybe they are the middle act in these shows. I know folks who toured all over the country with acts having multiple major label releases and they were lucky to get $300 a night plus their hotel room (2 up) and gas for the van/bus covered. Fast food on the run out of their personal pay. Lot's of folks crisscrossing the country doing these van and trailer tours.

It seems to be about the ability to promote oneself (as with most things). Sponsorships from anything and everything. Musical related things like Monster Cables to shoes and sport drinks. The more you can promote yourself, the most you can wrangle out of these deals.

OTOH hand I've heard of folks being paid living wages as retainers in case some superstar want's to go out on tour. They can do whatever else they want as long as they drop it when the superstar gets one of those multi million dollar party gigs for some sheik's daughter's birthday party. At which point they get another $1000 for playing the gig while the superstar pockets what's left after production costs.

That's amusing that the writer thinks $600/gig makes them a mid-level band! But he's right about how most of that goes for other expenses. Most people think "so, the band plays for 1000 people at $35 each, and they make $35,000 for the night! What's wrong with that?" Well, deduct all of the expenses of a touring band and small crew, and it's a small percentage that actually trickles down to the bandmembers.

Bermuda

What do you think makes a mid level band? Between what and what per gig?

It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

I'd say it is much harder today than it was in the 60's. The sheer number and talent level today is crazy.

I'm gonna guess that, in the 60's, even in the studio, most rock musicians didn't read music....especially drummers. I've read stories that even bass players just showed up and played "something".

Today, new bands are actually paying to play.

You can earn a living but you need to study your ass off....or be lottery style lucky.

I'm still confused about how much some rappers make though...

I am confused how they make any money :).

And, always remember that what you see is not necessarily the truth. The Lambo is probably rented with the money that should be going to child support. There is a lot of illusion in the entertainment business. Don't believe everything you are being told.

This link should explain a lot. The guitarist from Oh, Sleeper wrote a piece about how "mid-level bands" make no money. It's very informative and will probably answer your questions.

A drummer I know gave me some figures from their recent tour. First, 13K to buy on to the tour. They didn't sell nearly enough merchandise to break even and it cost them about $4K each for the four night gigs, It was a great experience and they played a couple of nice venues but they certainly didn't make any money.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand what types of bands make what kind of money and why? I welcome any guidance....

. So far I understand that totally original acts starting out make the least, a few steps above that is being a cover band, a few steps above that is being a tribute band and a few steps above that is being a wedding band. Do I have my facts straight so far?

I've got a theory too and was wondering if anyone can confirm it? I'm wondering if it becomes progressively easier to make money in a particular genre as it ages? For example, would it be easier to make money with a band similar to Jimi Hendrix now than it would be in say 1968?

Would also love to know how a rapper like this http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...mborghini-aventador-crash-fans-153301157.html gets the kind of money to buy Lambo's like that when there are so many rappers trying to get to that level. Where is the money coming from?

As far as the rapper goes there are a few possibilities. 1. Bankrolled by some record company that he will be paying for the rest of his life. 2. Don't forget that people now have access to an amazing amount of credit. 3. It's the internet .. how hard is it to grab a photo off the net and pretend it's yours to garner some publicity?

As for "making it" .. there are no rules and no sure ways. Each person/band has their own story/history/dues to pay.

I'm gonna guess that, in the 60's, even in the studio, most rock musicians didn't read music....especially drummers. I've read stories that even bass players just showed up and played "something".

couldn't be more wrong

ever heard of the Funk Brothers?........Booker T & the MGs?.....Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew?

they are only on pretty much every record you ever heard from that era and all read and were trained musicians

Back