New Snare Choices!

daredrummer

Gold Member
So I've decided on a 12" for a new snare, and wanted a depth of 6 or 7 inches. I narrowed it down to 4. If you have or have played any of these, please give feedback! (Keep in mind this will be used as my main snare in most occasions, although I'd like it to work as a side too)
I'm not really looking for new suggestions, because I've done a lot of research myself, but if you have something not on my list that you really really recommend, feel free to share it.

Mapex Black Panther Fastback 12x7, $300

Ludwig Classic Maple 12x6, $370

Yamaha Musashi 12x6, $245

Gretsch Full Range Signature Mark Schulman 12x6, $300

Of course I'll be going to the local drum shop and see if they have any of these, but I doubt they'll have all of them, if I'm lucky they'll have one or two.
I'm leaning towards the Mapex and the Gretsch but I haven't heard any in person.

Thanks!

If you're after a 12", the Musashi is the way to go. I have the 13" model and it really is a fantastic drum. The only letdown is the throw-off, which is a little sub-par, but the rest of the drum is really something.

Yes the musashi along with the gretsch are probably my top two. I have to say, the gretsch has the musashi beat in looks, the mark schluman looks really nice. Sound is what really matters though...

I own the Mapex Fastback, and I think it's a great drum. Fantastic fit and finish, and great throw-off. It's a beautiful drum, and sounds great at different tunings. I have it tuned medium low, and it sounds awesome. You could definitely use it as a main snare.

Back