Finally Decided to post

HGinCT

HI,

I'm H.G. I'm 20, and have been playing drums for about 5 years. Pretty cliche way of introducing myself but not really sure of any other way to do it.

I originally started "playing drums" when Rock Band came out. I played drums from Rock Band 1 all the way to today on all the games and I checked the leaderboards one afternoon for kicks and my name was third on the Xbox worldwide learderbards and said to myself "maybe now is the time to get a real kit." I started practicing around one year ago with Mike Mangini's Rhythm Knowledge and have seen some incredible improvements in such a short time frame. The new found skills have helped me land two jobs with bands and I'm hoping to make playing drums a lifelong thing (maybe not full time but something to do on the side).

Other stuff besides drumming? I'v privately tutoring Math and Science since I started high school and my classmates were struggling with Algebra. It's fun thing to do to offset the cost of going to school (Sophmore at UConn currently) and my expensive drumming addiction.

That's about it, I'll post pictures and stuff in the proper forums soon.

Are you playing electronic drums still or acoustic. There was a thread on here a long time ago about wether or not rock band was really drumming. I was on the side of it IS really drumming. thats cool you were able to transition from that. I have the black cat 3 cymbal pack for my rock band drum kit. my rank....not enough time to type all the digits.

Are you playing electronic drums still or acoustic. There was a thread on here a long time ago about wether or not rock band was really drumming. I was on the side of it IS really drumming. thats cool you were able to transition from that. I have the black cat 3 cymbal pack for my rock band drum kit. my rank....not enough time to type all the digits.

I'm playing on an acoustic kit and my Rock Band kit is an Alesis Ion kit with an Xbox module.

As far as where I stand, Rock Band does a few things very well and others poorly as a drum instructor.

Pros:

1. The option to slow down sections of a song is available and it gives you a click track when it is slowed down.

2. It forces you to stay in time because the track doesn't slow down or speed up, You'll miss notes if you go out of time.

3. A lot of the songs are very challenging when it comes to coordnation, and for a lot of the coordination hurtles I've gone through for Rock Band are very useful.

Cons:

1. There is only one pedal. Applying the hi hat is non existent in Rock Band unfortunately.

2. It can't, nor does it intend to teach proper technique (how to hit the drum or kick the pedals).

3. It does not reinforce a tension free play-style.

Overall, I think Rock Band is awesome as a video game and for having fun, but don't mistake the game as having the intention of replacing drum instructors.

Back