Female drummers?

cervitalle_decay said:
AAAA...Funny!!!!
Goshh..there's more girls on that forum then I thought...that's nice!!!!

YEA! same, i wonder how many signed up because of this thread...hehe

Anyway, ALL drummers rock!!male or female we're still drummers

On est trois a parler francais ici. J'viens d'Ottawa. I'be done many gigs and people have taken me seriously after I play. My biggest problem was always finding a band to play with. Guys would take me seriously enough and would'nt bother letting me try playing. But mannnn when I play, there's no guy that can do it like I can and it fells good. We need more confident young ladies to come out and play, take a chance cause im telling you there's alot out there.

i don't have a problem w/ female drummers at all. i let a girl play my kit a few months ago (we had a praise band open for us) and she was really good, and had an awesome gretch snare that made me lust. hey, drummermom, your from simpsonville, cool i'm in sumter

In the last show I went to one of the groups had a female drummer. What caught my eye, other then the fact that she was cute, was that she looked like she was having fun. Not only was she really good but looked like she was having a blast, unlike the two after them. So there are some good ones out there.....not enough though. imo

Alright, now I'm a fan of the females, a huge fan at that. Think of how much of a fan I'll be to females who play the drums!
homer-drool.gif

Funny this topic should come up. I'm 28 and a guy but I was just at my first lesson and the student ahead of me is a young girl and the woman who has a session after me is a lawyer I've had drinks with at my neighborhood pub. I walked out of the room and saw this woman and was like "wait, I know you - I've had drinks with you before"... I was just surprised because I had never imagined her to be a drummer....

Im a female drummer and most of the time drummers dont think any differently of me.

Its usualy the non-drummers that tend to judge before they hear me.

Just looking at that list of drummers on this site and theres SO many men, hardly any women. Whats up since there's so few women listed? Don't tell me theres not great female drummes ou there..

I consider drums to be one of the most - if not, THE most, masculine instruments around. They are big, loud-mouthed instruments hogging up all the space on stage and prefer to be eye-catchers... Well that's an exaggerated stereotype but you know what I mean... right?
But to me there's nothing wrong with female drummers. There's some really good female drummers out there, such as Caroline Corr, who is also one of the most gorgeous female drummers around in my humble opinion.
I'm probably gonna be teaching a 10-yr old girl soon, she had one lesson so far and a second lesson has been arranged, after which her parents will decide whether or not they will continue them (they have to see if the girl really likes it and they also want to see some progress being made, some quality teaching.

Well I can't believe I haven't replied to THIS thread yet!!! So now no more of this nonsense: I'm a chick drummer. so there I've replied. my fav chick drummer is Shelia E.

<<<drummer...and female.....female since birth even LOL..only drummin' the last 11 years though. Got a late start;)

There are probably lots of great female drummers out there. Are they getting the recognition they deserve? Probably not...thats why you don't see them here.

hey there, im a girl drummer=]
ive only bn playing for four years but i love it!!it helps with dancing aswel apparently
a few of friends of mine got into it after i did but none of them do it anymore
i guess its a passion only some can share?maybe only certain people have a flare for it?
a few guys put me down about being a girl drummer but none of them ever heard me play..
you get called dyke and all tht, there was even gonna be a battle between the lads and me to see who was better- but we never did it, im glad coz why should i have to prove myself for something i love doing?whether you're a guy or a girl makes no difference, i just cant do fills that well but im working on them, i prefer the reggae, jazz and funk beats
im new, talk to me?=]

hey there, im a girl drummer=]
a few guys put me down about being a girl drummer but none of them ever heard me play..
you get called dyke and all tht, there was even gonna be a battle between the lads and me to see who was better- but we never did it, im glad coz why should i have to prove myself for something i love doing?

Welcome to the forums :) I agree with what you stated there, there's no need to prove yourself. Even if you're not as good as some of the guys: so what? But you have to agree that a drumkit is the most masculine instrument out there ;) So getting comments from other people is quite natural. But don't let that put you down.

yeah a few guys said that they'd never even Heard a good girl drummer, meg white is a bad impression but my pastor said that all drummers are different which i think is true coz i play really quite differently to alot of people ive heard, the only thing is-sometimes what I think they say is true because I dont know ANY good female drummers, ive seen one or two on tv and they look soo unhappy with themselves or they'll keep a rubbish beat-
i do get put down alot but it makes me more passionate about wanting to play so maybe people can see that there are girl drummers out there!!i was inspired to play drums by a girl but i dont know her anymore, most days when im getting taught(both my teachers are male)..they'll be more girls getting lessons then there are guys-even my mom is wanting to get lessons, coz everytime she hears me practice she feels the rhythm!!
i get upset a little coz ive bn playing for four years now and ive never once played with other instruments, i just practice to cd's all the time coz not many peoople have heard me play and i would Love to be in a band or something but i dont know many people up for having a girl drummer...
the only thing i do is play congas with some acoustic guitarists..

Welcome to the forums :) I agree with what you stated there, there's no need to prove yourself. Even if you're not as good as some of the guys: so what? But you have to agree that a drumkit is the most masculine instrument out there ;) So getting comments from other people is quite natural. But don't let that put you down.

is drumming to do with the musical ear?because I know for a fact that I find fills harder than guys because some how they're just able to get the speed and power right, however, my teacher said to me the other weeek when he was teaching me snare and bass drum independance in a jazz beat the other week, i was able to pick it up easier than what he remembered he did. I also had the same thing said to me by my third teacher, Dil Davies. Would that be a gender thing or just depending on the person? ...

Person dependent, probably. If you can play 16th notes with your hands you've got all the speed you need for a simple fill-in, it's just a matter of trying different patterns and seeing what sounds good. Ask your teacher to teach you a few simple fill-ins and re-arrange and expand those in ways that you like. I had problems playing fills too for a while but it's not so much a special technique as it is just improvisation... And it takes time to work up the guts to just improvise and do seemingly random things.

About good female drummers: Caroline Corr from the Corrs. She's very good!

The first female drummer that I remember going, "OMG! She's really, really good for a girl", was Karen Carpenter, back in the seventies! Even Buddy Rich thought she was amazing.

She's me ALL-TIME favorite female drummer, and there's a bunch of her drum-clips on YouTube, that'll knock your socks off...

Play On! ;-)

Back