5 Variations on the Six Stroke Roll

feldiefeld

Here are some ideas I really like, all based on the Six Stroke Roll. Much of it requires the use of the backward six stroke....ie LRRLLR

Below are all the ideas from the worksheet, but if you wish to check out the entire article with some more detailed discussion and download a PDF of the ideas below, feel free to go here: http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/5-variations-on-the-six-stroke-roll/

Here is the complete sheet:

nasty-lick-60.jpg

By 6 stroke roll, don't you mean paradiddle-diddle but starting on a different place? My understanding that a 6 stroke roll was where the singles were 8th notes, and the doubles were 16th notes (or 16th and 32nd, or whatever).

By 6 stroke roll, don't you mean paradiddle-diddle but starting on a different place? My understanding that a 6 stroke roll was where the singles were 8th notes, and the doubles were 16th notes (or 16th and 32nd, or whatever).

A six stroke roll is traditionally played with the same note value allotted to all the notes of the pattern. Whilst the sticking is certainly one of the inversions of a paradiddle-diddle, RllrrL is still more commonly referred to as a six stroke roll and not an inverted paradiddle-diddle. I believe this is because it is a recognised rudiment in it's own right.

You can certainly play it the way you're suggesting......hell, you can play it however you like if it gives you the end result you're after. But I'd be more inclined to call that a variation on a six stroke roll as it's not the way the rudiment is commonly taught from the outset.

Back