Things you hate to have happen while drumming

Back when I first started gigging. My band was playing this party out in someones back yard.... really just a big field in the woods. No lights just the amps, drums, us, the kag and alot of drunk people.... I couldnt see my kit so I busted open all my knuckles from hitting the rims. The next day I look at the snare head... Yummy!!

But I still got some at that party

It's not something that happened while playing, but it's something that gets me very mad. I have a friend that ALWAYS wants to play my drums and all he evey does (since he has no rhythm) is blast beats(horrible blast beats at that). Just gets annoying especially at practice when we try to get things done but thats all he wants to do.

Dimm_Slayer said:
It's not something that happened while playing, but it's something that gets me very mad. I have a friend that ALWAYS wants to play my drums and all he evey does (since he has no rhythm) is blast beats(horrible blast beats at that). Just gets annoying especially at practice when we try to get things done but thats all he wants to do.

I was once in a band like that. It's very annoying and we got nowhere.

the usual sticks flying away, missing a cymbal (or a tom and hitting the crash instead), etc...
and drummerboy3940, i've hit my leg like that too... hurts ><
plus, this happens all the time, the washer under my top hat loosens and drops the hat... it happens after just a couple of measures playing eighth notes with 'em loose or opening and closing them with my foot

If you guys have seen the pics of my room and set, then you know that I play on a platform to reduce noise. However, the platform is a little bit too small right now, so sometimes my hi hat stands 3rd leg (haha, third leg...) comes off the platform. Very annoying.

oh i had the worst thing happen to me, well not rally the wrost but it really sucked. it was i think a month ago and for some dumb reason i brough one pair of drumsticks to a gig since i'm not really used to breakin sticks and the were zoro's brand stick that dontl ussually break. well taht night i founded out other bands were going to be playin there too so i went to check on the drums and by accident left my one pair of drumsticks ther and then anotehr band played before us. when i got there my sticks were gone and the band before me had left so i borrown a pari of sticks from another drummer and the sticks broke cause they were like 7 as and they were already old and they broke into the end of our second song. then i got another stick which also broke.. this one i knew it was gonna break cause of the weird feelin it had i guess the sticks this guy had were all like rotten or something... but yeah not a very good day.. although the overall peformance was pretty awsome

Dimm_Slayer said:
man thats y u have drumsticks anybody come close u whack them and they wont come back lol, done taht to the bassist of my band heheh and to the singer who wanted to jump on them at practice if its at show then i wont mind i'll just beat him up backstage lol

I hate it when stick get jammed together....
Also i hate those unwanted rimshots that i get from the toms.
But the thing i hate the most is when my back hurt, its so anoyinng makes me crazy!

i hate breaking sticks, but i have lots of spares, so that's really not a problem....usually the worst is breaking a knuckle open....pretty messy, but people look at ya, and figure you are really getting into it....
and, hahahah....sometimes, when our pyro is a little too close to the drum riser......that gets a tad warm up there.......

BIG_c said:
Hitting my fingers would be the worse thing that probably happens. I also hate it when my forearm begins to cramp when i'm playing on my ride.

Cramps in your forearm, when playing the ride...that isn't healthy, and a sign of bad technique.

Hitting my leg with a stick, having one fly out of my hand and (I've only done this twice) hitting my hand on the rim of the snare and basically splitting it abit and making it bleed.

I hate it when there's a big powerful HOT light aimed right at the back of my head while I'm onstage. As if I didn't sweat enough already.

When My singer picks like 10 songs that are all fast. No time to catch my breath. And when I ask him "Why?" He says "You should be ready for stuff like that. "

Another is not doing any warm ups before the show and having my hand cramp up in the first song.<------- My fault!!!!

BREAKING MY STICKS!! ARGH HOW ITS SO IRRITATING AFTER A DAY OF BUYING THEM!

foursticks said:
BREAKING MY STICKS!! ARGH HOW ITS SO IRRITATING AFTER A DAY OF BUYING THEM!

I very much agree. I was almost hit in the eye when I broke one once... I guess that's why I slightly turn my head when I hit my floor tom.

michaeldangelo said:
My bass drum pedal broke on a gig once. Not really break, but the beater came loose and was unplayable. On a funk tune as well. I told the bass player to turn his mids up to cover up. I got it fixed though. But still, that's not something great to happen.

I remember one of my friend's cymbal stands fell down on the floor one time. Very loud crash. Not very musical.

Hi Mike that sounds intresting, can you explain to me a bit more about how turning up the mids on the bass guitar covers up the lack of bass drums in the overall mix. I think I have heard of this before and can imagine the effect it will have too. The last time that happened to me I just used the floor tom and it worked almost as well, it wasnt my kit but I think I was just lucky on that one there.

I hate hitting my self with sticks, flinging them across the room, missing half a beat or changing tempo when you go to pick them up. I don't have that much bad luck when out gigging as I try to endeavour to make sure stuff like this won't happen by predicting the most common or likely of incidents and doing something about it before hand. Just when I am messing about with a new hard and fast fill that my sticks will end up flying away really.

i hate it when i drop my sticks. usually i dont drop em anymore, but when i do, it keeps happening over and over.

BIG_c said:
Hitting my fingers would be the worse thing that probably happens. I also hate it when my forearm begins to cramp when i'm playing on my ride.

Better technique, more technical and rudimentary practise to gain stamina and ease of playing and also better positing of your ride cymbal. Any more help just ask. ;-).

We've got to take measures to avoid this happening people! Saying that I am as guilty as anyone as not setting up my kit as well as I should becasue I haven't made time to expirment with what works better. I suppose we just get too exicted about playing them and forget other stuff.

I hate when you play a rimshot too far into the drum and hit your finger on the rim! I've gotten blood on my drum heads before from that. But you learn that lesson fast!

Back