first double pedal - advice?

Ainulindale

Gold Member
hey guys! just went out and got a shiny new SpeedCobra, never owned a double pedal before and was just wondering what advice you all have for this total noob, anything on playing or technique, cause i'm completly oblivious ;-)

Well, it depends on what you're interested in playing with it - - a double pedal doesn't necessarily mean "let's hit 16ths at 200+ BPM". But a lot of what applies to the hands can be applied to the feet; however, it's all a lot harder. Also, your feet will go out of shape a lot easier than your hands, so regular practice is advised.
THIS might help, starting with just doubling stuff you are already playing, for example, as well as filling in.

Fox.

First congrats!! you picked one great pedal..I can only tell you what I do.. I try to spend a minimum of a half hour a day on my double work..I'm not super fast so I practice single notes going as fast as I can while staying in tempo.. I work on double strokes and even paradiddles...use both heel up and heel down..Basically what Fox said do the same stuff as you do with your hands..for myself progress is very slow but can be measured with a metronone..

I find the double pedal can take fills to a whole level.

Try groups of, for example, 1 up/2 down, or 2 up/2 down or 3 up/2 down, or 3 up/3 down, or whatever, around the toms and snare to come up with some really interesting fills.

thanks guys! great link fox, harrison is so transparent when speaking, keeps his ideas simple and easy to grasp

and yes, right now im just trying to keep my singles steady and even, gonna try some rudiments with the feet later today, also heard that playing single pedal with your left foot is a good crash course for the "dumb" side, quickly gained a whole new respect for the guys who make a double seem easy ;-)

i play heavy rock, 1up and 1down, 15" hats, 24" ride and 18"/21" crashes

my original pedal was the standard yammie that came with the kit, its amazing how much a quality pedal helps technique, my right foot instantly felt lighter, faster and more powerful, loving the new pedal!

I just got a double pedal a month ago and i find if you practice things like para diddles and other rudiments with your feet you will have more control. To get faster i sit and give it a go at a good pace and then gradually go as fast as i can without loosing my tempo or momentum.

Well, it depends on what you're interested in playing with it - - a double pedal doesn't necessarily mean "let's hit 16ths at 200+ BPM". But a lot of what applies to the hands can be applied to the feet; however, it's all a lot harder. Also, your feet will go out of shape a lot easier than your hands, so regular practice is advised.
THIS might help, starting with just doubling stuff you are already playing, for example, as well as filling in.

Fox.

Yeah I agree that playing all the time is essential when learning the double pedal. I remember when I first started I was very inconsistent, and I had "better" days then others. I invested in a pedal pad so I could practice quietly with a metronome. I also like to set a tempo I'm comfortable with, and then just bust out single strokes one foot at a time. This to me helped out a lot, and if I didn't I think I'd still be struggling. I usually do it for like 15 min, and as I do it I'll do it longer on each side. Example: If 10 hits on each foot is good start with that, and work your way up, so then your doing 20 hits on each. This to me is important so when you do use your double pedal both feet sound the same. Just make sure to work both feet though, and not just your bad foot. My left was a lot slower, so I would single my left out and work it out more then my right. I then got to a point where my left was faster then my right. So just make sure you exercise both feet. Good luck!

I once heard Danny Carey say (I think, unless I'm making this up), treat your feet the same way you would treat your hands. Such as basic exercises, and rudiments ect.

thanks guys, ive heard a number of times now, practice the same - hands or feet, i find the lack of technique in my left foot is bad, it just doesnt have the feel, agility or the touch of my right, let alone the speed, i was thinking about applying "Stick Control" to my feet, see if that helps...

When i bought my first double peddle i did what everyone has said here so far - spent time learing basic stick patterns with my feet and then adding it to a tempo and then trial and error fitting it into general rhythms.

I've still got the same pedal, a Pearl Eliminator. Took me a while to get a comfortable feel on the second pedal, but still does the job well to this day!

one lesson i've learned while practicing double bass is to really focus on getting my weaker foot (my left foot) up to speed. it's helped a lot to play accented patterns leading with my left foot. they are hard to play, but they will force you to get better in a hurry!

I was in the same situation one month ago. I started with some simple double base grooves and rudiments, but I've found them frustraiting and very boring, and didn't sound good at all, mainly because my left foot sucked. so I focused on developing my left foot for a month I playing only with my left foot the same grooves that I used to play with rigth. and then I started doing rudiments.

Back