Decided on Gretsch Catalina..again..

pearlygates

Gold Member
I have been looking for a mid priced maple shell pack. I made a decision for Gretsch again.
I had a Catalina Maple a few years ago and really wonder why I got rid of them. I guess I was in that experimental stage.. Ahh..well, I put a deposit down on another Cat maple today.

Picking them up on the 28th! Exciting!!

Gretschcatalina012.jpg

Gretschcatalina011.jpg

The new Mocha fade is gorgeous in person and I noted that Gretsch spec'd brass lug inserts.
Cool.. Yeah they are intermediate level drums, but boy they look and sound GREAT!

Check the hoops on the 14"!! :)

I remember reading your posts on these drums when I was researching whether or not to buy a 2nd hand kit off a mate. Your 'singing their praises' went a long way towards me deciding to pull the trigger. I didn't know you'd sold them.....what did you get after that?

FWIW, I've been very happy with mine. Re-head, tune up and they've surprised me to say the least. Far better than I was expecting. I won't get over excited and start comparing them with high end kits.....but they smash intermediate kits from days gone by. Gretsch have done well on this one.

Check the hoops on the 14"!! :)

I remember reading your posts on these drums when I was researching whether or not to buy a 2nd hand kit off a mate. Your 'singing their praises' went a long way towards me deciding to pull the trigger. I didn't know you'd sold them.....what did you get after that?

FWIW, I've been very happy with mine. Re-head, tune up and they've surprised me to say the least. Far better than I was expecting. I won't get over excited and start comparing them with high end kits.....but they smash intermediate kits from days gone by. Gretsch have done well on this one.
hahaha.. Yeah Pfog..
check out my post on the other thread.. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=699365&postcount=48

I sold them when I was in my experimental phase.. in search of my sound.
I ended up with a Renown purewood that I sold (DOH!) for a slight profit.
I guess I have come full circle... almost. The wife said that if I even have the slightest mention of selling this kit..there would problems on the homefront. I am not sure what that means, nor do I intend to find out!
What finish did you end up with?

Oh, no Benedict. Say it ain't so?!?

Oh, no Benedict. Say it ain't so?!?
hahaha! Yeah.. I wanted the maple shells after all...

I got this shell pack for a freakin SONG!!! Helps to have friends who manage drum shops!!!

That's okay, I won't say anything to CW. LOL.

hahaha.. Yeah Pfog..
check out my post on the other thread.. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=699365&postcount=48

I sold them when I was in my experimental phase.. in search of my sound.
I ended up with a Renown purewood that I sold (DOH!) for a slight profit.
I guess I have come full circle... almost. The wife said that if I even have the slightest mention of selling this kit..there would problems on the homefront. I am not sure what that means, nor do I intend to find out!
What finish did you end up with?

Got the red sparkle finish.....pretty much the only reason I considered it.....I love sparkles!!

The poor sod I bought them off had not long purchased them, barely played them when he fell into financial difficulties. First thing to go was the drums. Thought I'd be a good bloke, check them out (which is what lead me to this fine site) and if they were given good reviews (which they were), then I'd take them off his hands. They definitely need a head swap and decent rubbers for the floor tom feet, but apart from that, I think they're excellent for the money. Unlike yourself, I sheilded the good wife from this transaction though......sold off an old set of Exports to help gather some coin and then straight into the cases they went.

Enjoy 'em mate.

So.....snif....you don't like.....snif....the Aquamarine.....sniffle....sparkle lacquer finish........wwaaaaaaa....snif.....snif

That's okay, I won't say anything to CW. LOL.

Too bad CC isn't making the PM6 anymore (far as I can tell)

I got the Gretschs for $580!!!! New in the box! I couldn't pass that up! ..my bud is the dept mgr!!!

Got the red sparkle finish.....pretty much the only reason I considered it.....I love sparkles!!

The poor sod I bought them off had not long purchased them, barely played them when he fell into financial difficulties. First thing to go was the drums. Thought I'd be a good bloke, check them out (which is what lead me to this fine site) and if they were given good reviews (which they were), then I'd take them off his hands. They definitely need a head swap and decent rubbers for the floor tom feet, but apart from that, I think they're excellent for the money. Unlike yourself, I sheilded the good wife from this transaction though......sold off an old set of Exports to help gather some coin and then straight into the cases they went.

Enjoy 'em mate.
I will do just that Pfog! I know what these kits are all about!

Back